Username: Password:

Author Topic: Russell Orchards Farm  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Russell Orchards Farm
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

A gloomy but warm late October day made for a very entertaining ride.  With nowhere particular to ride to and no ambition to hit the interstate I went to my go to area near Ipswich.  I could have worn my summer gear by late morning as the temps rose, still there was a persistent fog throughout the day which made for an eerie vibe, perfect as Halloween was fast approaching.

I have a fascination for abandoned buildings, however in this case I don't think the building is abandoned.  Notice the power lines and junction box look to be in good shape and though it may be hard to see in this photo, the doors have newish padlocks on them.  Still, the building looks to be falling apart around itself.

The Russell Orchards Farm.  A very fun and interesting place.  They make their own wine, cider donuts and many other treats.  They offer apple and strawberry picking during the appropriate seasons.

Inside the shelves are filled with maple syrup, honey, jams and jellies.

They have pumpkins piled up everywhere.  I liked this old truck and gas pump.

Any guesses what type of gourd this is?  It's written on the front of the crate but I can't make it out, even zoomed in on the hi-rez file.  It's a blue something or another.

My treats from the farm.  A cider donut, pumpkin bread and apple cider.  The cider donut didn't even make it back to the parking lot.  Tasty!

Back on the road I make my way to Crane Hill.

I do a bit mor exploring and find these two windmills in the fog near the salt marsh.

A close-up of some interesting berries.

Very calm water, looks almost like ice.

Further down the road I find a sandy beach and ride up on my bike.  While taking multiple photos and just sort of poking around I see two other riders go by, one is on a Ninja 1000 and the other I can't quite identify, I know it's a supersport just don't know which one, but I would find out later.

I ride back to Ipswich and get some pork belly tacos at the Salt Rum Kitchen... so good!

When I came out of the restaurant I bump into Mike and Kip, the riders I saw go by when I was at the beach.  They were getting coffee at the shop next to the restaurant.  The sport bike turned out to be a BMW, wow can that thing move.

After a brief but friendly conversation they ask me to tag along as we all live in the same neck of the woods more or less.  Mike shows me an alternate route back home.  They do like to go above and beyond posted limits.  We make one final stop at bikers favorite stop, Honey Dew Donuts in Wakefield.  A bit more conversation and we all part ways, making no commitment but hoping to ride together again.

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
Re: Russell Orchards Farm
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
great pictures.  My daughter lives in Dighton and some day I'll bring the bike that way.  Beautiful country.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
That's a great shot of the 3 bikes. So that BMW...an S1000RR I take it? That's basically the bike Badovini used to win all but 1 2010 Word Superstock Championship races. ZoomZoom!
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
Great write up and pics! Thanks for sharing!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:26:34 AM »
CountryG, come on up or down... don't know where you live.  Some great riding roads, just stay out of the 495 belt towards Boston.  Happy to show you around.

Baja, you are correct, it's the S1000R and it is amazing in action.  Of course a lot of that has to do with the rider but wow, what a bike.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »
Very cool.

Offline POXY

• View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Honda 700s
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »
 nice1
I'm working on it!

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »
Cider  drooler1
I'm headed back to the Midwest next week and plan on finding some. Stuff they call cider here is awful.
'09 BMW R1200RT, '09  Bonneville, '08 SYM HD200

Offline hockeyhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
Nice ride Dan and as usual the pics are awesome, the fog really adds something to the photos.
03 FZ1, 97 DR650

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved