Username: Password:

Author Topic: Must have tools in bike tool box.  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Sapper

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 650SC
Must have tools in bike tool box.
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »
Morning everyone.

I am the proud owner of my first motorcycle, 1985 650 NH. 11000 miles. All original besides battery tender and upgraded seat.(I'll post pictures when I take good ones after a cleaning). Its it great mechanical condition, a few dents and scratches, but everything is running great. I'm going to try and soak up as much info from this site  as I can. I've bought the Clymer maint., repair and troubleshooting manual, but personal experience and knowledge is key. So, what do you all carry in that little tool box on the bike? What would you consider must have? I'm not doing any long long rides just yet, but i'd like to be prepared for anything.

Thanks for the info and help in Advance!

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
Re: Must have tools in bike tool box.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »
My two must haves for any motorcycle are the air pressure gauge and a low profile adjustable wrench.  I keep both in my motorcycle jacket in a nice padded toolkit that fits in a padded inside pocket.

Can get most things off urgently with just the wrench.  Toughest bits are anything with a head tucked inside that needs a socket but those at least are few and far between for emergency roadside repairs.

The one I have I call my lucky wrench.  During the time right after I got mine fully serviced and going, I have used it to release brake pressure that had locked the front brakes on, pulled front wheel to fix a speedo box, adjusted rear chain, fixed an electrical failure which required pulling the seat, and a whole ton of adjustment and re-tightening of fasteners that had come loose on the "shakedown"

Ideal if you have a place to keep it is a nice socket wrench, extension, metric set of sockets, flat blade screwdriver, and the Japanese Philips (JIS) screwdriver.

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
I always have my leatherman skeletool on me so that covers screwdrivers, pliers and a small knife.  I also always have a small flashlight in my pocket.  On the bike I keep 2 open wrenches. 8mm,10mm on 1 and 12mm,14mm on the other.  Some duct tape, a few zip ties and about a 3ft piece of wire.  I want to get a tire patch kit with a small compressor but haven't gotten around to it. 

Anything more than that I'm not fixing on the side of the road.  Easy enough to just call the wife and say come get me with the truck.  If I was riding farther from home I might carry more.

Offline heavyd

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk/Valk
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
The suggestions so far are very important, but they are missing possibly the most important thing in my opinion. Zip ties. I can't even list the number of things that I have fixed on my bikes or others with a variety of zip ties. I have even helped a woman who's bumper fell half off her car on a back road in the middle of nowhere 50 km from the nearest town. A couple of heavy duty zip ties was able to hold it up and off her tire so she could limp home. I always keep a selection ranging from 3-4" long up to 18" ties that will hold several hundred lbs.

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
Ummm I said zip ties right after duct tape.  I guess I didn't highlight it enough.  They are super handy and easy to pack

Offline heavyd

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk/Valk
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
Ummm I said zip ties right after duct tape.  I guess I didn't highlight it enough.  They are super handy and easy to pack

Sorry Rakillia I guess I missed that, you were already all over it.

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
So, what do you all carry in that little tool box on the bike?

It's not big enough to hold tools so it holds the Get The F Away From Me You Ja&^A## relay that connects the battery directly to the stebel horn.  deal1 whoohoo1

One thing that few riders thing of until it's too late: A full wiring diagram and a multimeter.
Another is a flashlight with good batteries so you can see in the dark.

Beyond that, when doing routine maintenance, keep track of the types of tools you typically use. You'll see a pattern of high use tools. Carry those tools.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:38 PM »

One thing that few riders thing of until it's too late: A full wiring diagram and a multimeter.

One thing I do not want to see for a modern bike....

I have a car, cannot buy a printed wiring diagram, is too big.  Is close to 200 pages or something crazy and it has three pages just for the rear view mirror XD

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
One thing I do not want to see for a modern bike....

I have a car, cannot buy a printed wiring diagram, is too big.  Is close to 200 pages or something crazy and it has three pages just for the rear view mirror XD

I hate excessive everything must be wired into everything else lazy butt technogeek designs for that specific reason. Crap can't fail on you if you don't have it to start with.

The entire wiring diagram for your 650 is one piece of paper 11"x17". No excuses.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »

The entire wiring diagram for your 650 is one piece of paper 11"x17". No excuses.

Ha ha!  The nighthawk is simple enough that aside from things missing completely, I can go through it without the diagram.  Older bikes, it is what it is. ^.^

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
I like to travel light.  In my tail bag(about 12"x12") I have most of the tools already listed like open end wrenches, screwdrivers, zip ties, electrical tape, tire gauge and for potential flat tires a plug kit and small compressor that I have had to to use a few times.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »
electrical tape
duct tape

Electrical tape causes it's own problems and leaves a sticky mess. And often comes off of the connection it's supposed  to be protecting leaving a trail of sticky slime behind.
Duct tape is a mess and doesn't hold on for squat and fails way too quickly. The outdoors world simply destroys it.

I use gaffers tape. It's a universal fix it tape without all the hassle. It's a bit more spendy however if you want something stuck together and for it to stay together, everything else for roadside repairs and even longer term fixes is mostly inferior. It comes off fairly easily afterward too as long as you don't cook it too badly. And it comes in a bunch of colors too just for fun.

Offline dilbertrob

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 750
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
I have the original toolkit that came with my bike that has all of the wrenches and screwdrivers needed.  In addition, I carry a Stop and Go tire plug kit, a Slime air pump, a small LED flashlight and a spare clutch cable with me at all times.  Apparently I have a penchant for having clutch cables snap at just the wrong time.

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »
I have the original toolkit that came with my bike that has all of the wrenches and screwdrivers needed.

Be warned that the OEM toolkits are made by 10th rate companies that the knockoff cheapo chinese companies would be ashamed to be associated with. The wrenches will visibly bend open when applying a tiny amount of torque to a fastener. My best guess is that the material they use to make them is 40% soft metal, 30% metal softener, and 30% rubber. Their sole purpose is to round off the head of any bolt you are trying to loosen or tighten. Not a lot is worse than being stranded with a tool that fits to fix the problem then the tool buggering up the offending fastener beyond repair capabilities. Replace them with quality tools, or at least harbor freight knockoff tools.

Offline dilbertrob

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 750
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
I have the original toolkit that came with my bike that has all of the wrenches and screwdrivers needed.

Be warned that the OEM toolkits are made by 10th rate companies that the knockoff cheapo chinese companies would be ashamed to be associated with. The wrenches will visibly bend open when applying a tiny amount of torque to a fastener. My best guess is that the material they use to make them is 40% soft metal, 30% metal softener, and 30% rubber. Their sole purpose is to round off the head of any bolt you are trying to loosen or tighten. Not a lot is worse than being stranded with a tool that fits to fix the problem then the tool buggering up the offending fastener beyond repair capabilities. Replace them with quality tools, or at least harbor freight knockoff tools.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good replacement toolkit?  I would prefer one that fits under the seat about the size of the current one.

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good replacement toolkit?  I would prefer one that fits under the seat about the size of the current one.

Sears, in the customize it yourself kit section (individual tools section) of the Craftsman department.

Offline skramer360

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 700s
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
I would take the original tool kit to Sears like Bumblebee said and replace each one with a decent quality one.

Offline jd50i

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 CB650 SC
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
I keep a Good Sam club card on my, if the bike quits (and it only has once in 28 years, out of gas, my fault) I call them and they take it to my house.

1985 CB650SC

Offline randyc

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 CB250
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »
  • Flashlight
  • Two small wrenches that fit most of my bolts (not the drive chain adjustment bolt, unfortunately)
  • A wrench for the spark plugs
  • A short piece of 12 gauge wire with the ends exposed and some tape for it
  • Those little single-use hand wipes
  • Fuses
  • Tire repair kit

...and in the future because of one of the posts here: zip ties. Really this is a very wise suggestion that I never considered.

Offline BrandonBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 08:25:33 AM »
  • Flashlight
  • Two small wrenches that fit most of my bolts (not the drive chain adjustment bolt, unfortunately)
  • A wrench for the spark plugs
  • A short piece of 12 gauge wire with the ends exposed and some tape for it
  • Those little single-use hand wipes
  • Fuses
  • Tire repair kit

...and in the future because of one of the posts here: zip ties. Really this is a very wise suggestion that I never considered.

First bike I bought was held together with lots of zip ties, for a long time I thought this was just par for the course with motorcycles. I have learned to use them pretty well as fasteners for old bikes, to hold your battery in place and collect wires after projects.
Knowledge is Power, I want to be Powerful

Offline BrandonBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
Is anybodies set small enough to fit under your seat in the tail light area?

I bought a tool roll to do this but it ended up being too big,  heya2

Anybody get away with this? show some pics please
Knowledge is Power, I want to be Powerful

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved