Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help Me Buy a Bike  (Read 8014 times)

Offline POXY

• View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Honda 700s
Re: Help Me Buy a Bike
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
If I wanted a bike for me, I would probably buy it for $1500.

But buying it now for my friend who comes in 6 month, keeping it running until then,just to ride it for a few days and then going through the trouble of selling it later, I wouldn't do that if there is a place where I could rent a decent one for a fair price.

My 2 cents.
I'm working on it!

Offline POXY

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
looking at the other picture, did somebody work on the muffler? The end cap at the muffler I mean.
I'm working on it!

Offline Wosmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
I don't think it looks too bad for the money. O'course I'm also just trying to interpret what I'm seeing in a couple of pictures. For $1500 I would expect it to run pretty well but not necessarily be a beauty queen. But maybe that's just me.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
The owner is asking $1950 not $1500.  Yes, I do plan on reselling the bike fairly quick.  But it will be my bike legally so I can enjoy it a bit before I resell.

Also, this isn't six months away, it's three months away.  Americade is in early June.  Maybe it's a foolish endeavor but other than the hassle of buying/selling/insurance/registration this will turn out to be less than renting... maybe.  I've looked at rentals in the area and there are no good options.

Offline POXY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »
Oh, I thought earlier you said renting was something around $600.
I'm working on it!

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
I did, POXY.  The problem was that the rental I did find required the rider to have two years experience in the saddle and my friend does not have that much experience yet.

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
The biggest question I would ask is the date stamp on the tires.  You absolutely don't want to have to deal with putting new tires on it so your friend will be safe.  Its the biggest $$$$ you can spend on bike maintenance.  He would have to drop his price from $1900 significantly if the tires are more than 3 years old in order for this to work for you.  You might want to check how much it is to register in your state.  Its something like $260 in my state.  I don't see how the math is going to work unless your comfortable with losing at least $600.  On the flip side, if you are good with a wrench, 3 months is plenty of time to get something road worthy.  You could make a profit if you find the right bike and fix it yourself.

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »
The corrosion and pitting is not a big deal for your intended ride, but it will be when it comes time to sell it. You have to get it at the right price - I'd say $1500 max. If the date stamp on the tires don't check out, then forget it. Spring is almost here and a lot more bikes will be showing up on CL soon.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
I did, POXY.  The problem was that the rental I did find required the rider to have two years experience in the saddle and my friend does not have that much experience yet.

How would they know something like that to enforce it? Maybe it is different in other states, but my license just has a CY endorsement with no date on it.

Offline 131dude262

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1996 CB750
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »
Looks OK to me.

A aluminum foil ball will take rust spots right off. Works especially well on dots of rust on chrome.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »

How would they know something like that to enforce it? Maybe it is different in other states, but my license just has a CY endorsement with no date on it.

Not sure, never real thought about it but I was honest with them when I was on the phone so it's out.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
I think this is a gorgeous bike,

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/4919205054.html

It's a 1979 so that gives me some concern.  Parts, service, reliability.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »
There are a couple of things to watch out for there.  The Custom was the CX500C rather than F -- the highest letter they went up to was EC.  Can't say that I ever liked the Custom styling myself.

The seller says nothing about either the cam chain tensioner or the stator, both of which are known problem areas on this engine especially at that age.
made of meat

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
Cam tensioner should be audible, but not familiar with that engine.  As for stator, not hard to test, or at worse, replace?

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 06:02:35 AM »
Replacing both the cam chain tensioner and the stator require dismantling the engine.
Cam chain tensioner issues are somewhat audible on this engine, and aren't truly a problem after the first couple of model years if it's regularly adjusted.  However, this is an early model year...
made of meat

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 06:16:39 AM »
I found some SV650's, a bike I sorta covet.  Check out these two bikes.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/4881967406.html

https://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/4877390878.html

I know the 99' is carbed and the instrument cluster is different.  Frame looks different too.  Also one is the S model and the other is the N.  Fundamentally are there any other differences?

Offline POXY

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
I would prefer the '99 just because of the upright seating position.
I'm working on it!

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
Replacing both the cam chain tensioner and the stator require dismantling the engine.
Cam chain tensioner issues are somewhat audible on this engine, and aren't truly a problem after the first couple of model years if it's regularly adjusted.  However, this is an early model year...

Engine dismantle to get to stator?  I haven't worked on one of these engines before.  that is a surprize, I thought it was that front cover...  That is the clutch?

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »
I would prefer the '99 just because of the upright seating position.

Me too.  The owner just emailed me.  It sold yesterday.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

Engine dismantle to get to stator?  I haven't worked on one of these engines before.  that is a surprize, I thought it was that front cover...  That is the clutch?

Yes, that's the clutch.  The engine is transverse in the frame so the crankshaft and transmission shafts run fore/aft, counter-rotating in order to balance the bike.  The engine splits behind the cylinders, which is where the stator coils (and pulse generators) hang out along with the cam chain and its tensioner.
made of meat

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
 yikes1

*hugs side cover alternators*

And I thought the CBX was problematic...

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »
This afternoon I'm going to finally take a look at three bikes.

79 CX500
06 Ninja 500
93 Nighthawk 750

Hopefully they are as good as the owner's describe them.  All three are above KBB estimates.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
I took a look at the CX500 and the 07 Ninja 500.  The CX was in beautiful shape, the owner is interesting too, he had a garage full of old bikes.  I think I'm going to pass on the CX due to age of bike and potential problems that I've read about here and elsewhere, namely the cam chain tensioner.

I've been looking at a lot of SV650's but the decent one's are sold before I get a chance to actually get out and look at them.

That leaves it down to these two Ninja 500's.  Here are the pros and cons.

2007 -
Pros -
Near showroom shape.
Under 5,000 miles.
Seller is only an hour away.
The paint job is a metal-flake yellow (subjective but I love it).
New tires.
New chain and sprockets.
Looks well maintained.
Motor fired up right away.

Cons -
Priced $350 over KBB.
Some very minor scuffs along engine casing by the foot brake, right side lever.
More minor scuffs on the end of right side lever and fairing point (looks like it rubbed against something, not dropped).
Has a lowering kit.
Centerstand was removed for the lowering kit, may be available with sale of bike.

Asking price $3000

2006 -
Pros -
Excellent shape (going by photo).
Priced at KBB value.
$550 cheaper than 07.
Dealer will do the following:
New tires.
Oil change.
New brake pads.
New chain and sprocket.
Has a limited service history with dealer.

Cons -
Sold through dealer.
Has 17,500 miles.
Some scuffs along tail section, dealer thinks it's from luggage.
Dealer is three hours away (one direction) in Vermont.

Asking price $2495 (OTD, there are no additional fees from dealer)

I like the 07 if it didn't have the lowering kit.  Are those easy to remove?

I like the fact that the 06 is $550 less.  It has a lot more miles but nothing outrageous for the age of the bike.

Decisions...

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
Won't cost you $500 to drive 6 hours (3 each way).  And you can give the dealer earnest money over the phone to make sure it doesn't get swiped out from under you (Some may remember the happycommuter incident and why he ended up on The People's Court).

The plan is still to buy a bike, ride it for a week, and sell it right? You have a place to store it until June? Actually, do you think the snow will be gone by then?

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Won't cost you $500 to drive 6 hours (3 each way).  And you can give the dealer earnest money over the phone to make sure it doesn't get swiped out from under you (Some may remember the happycommuter incident and why he ended up on The People's Court).

The plan is still to buy a bike, ride it for a week, and sell it right? You have a place to store it until June? Actually, do you think the snow will be gone by then?

Yep, that's the plan.  Ride it and sell it after Americade.  If it's a Ninja 500 I can't imagine that I would enjoy it more than my 650 enough that I would be tempted to keep it around longer.  I do have a garage.  The car would be exiled to the driveway for a few months.

No, probably cost around $47 in gas money.  I may be able to negotiate the price on each bike.  Haven't tried, I want to be a serious buyer when I get to that point.

I will not be on, The People's Court, guaranteed.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved