Username: Password:

Author Topic: Honda 919  (Read 5175 times)

Offline spencer

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 Nighthawk
Honda 919
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
I'd been looking for sort of a standard UJM with a bit more performance than the Nighthawk. I narrowed it down to a ZRX 1100/1200 or maybe a CB1000 but just couldn't find the right one at the right price. I was actually pondering a leftover 2014 CB1100 for $7,499 at the local dealer when I saw this one owner 2007 919 listed on Craigslist by a Honda dealer. I ended up paying retail but it seems like a nice one and 3,700 miles. I just went over it changing coolant, brake fluid, cleaning the cruddy chain and sprockets, and replacing the original tires. Oil looks clean but I'll replace it after running the current tank of gas with Tectron through. It sure is a fun bike, anyway here's a pic I thought I'd share.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
Re: Honda 919
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
Sahweet!  I love those bikes but couldn't get one when they were new...

Edit:  Forgot to add that your color there is phenominal!  And I do believe your shop is nicer than my house XD

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »
Congrats.  919's are great bikes.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
Thanks guys! LOL I don't think the motorcycle room is as nice as your house, the corner pictured is probably the tidiest part.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
Thanks guys! LOL I don't think the motorcycle room is as nice as your house, the corner pictured is probably the tidiest part.

"Motorcycle room" just makes me think...

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:21 PM »
Great looking bike! Nice score with the added bonus of the center stand option.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:00:13 PM »
Great looking bike! Nice score with the added bonus of the center stand option.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I installed the center stand. It wasn't cheap either $210 from Twisted Throttle but sure is handy especially on a chain drive bike.

Just saw listed on CL a mate to this one, 07 with 5K very clean. http://westmd.craigslist.org/mcy/4913050956.html

Offline Frankjr

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1997 Night Hawk
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
Nice bike and a great color.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
I still want to ride on of these some day. Love the look of that bike!

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »
I still want to ride on of these some day. Love the look of that bike!

Thanks. To be honest when I first saw it I was luke warm on the styling, I guess I had my mind made up on the retro Kawasaki ZRX, but it's growing on me.
Compared to the Nighthawk it has a little more vibes at certain rpm, not saying it as a negative just more of an observation, it's plenty smooth overall. FI and throttle response is spot on. The riding position is pretty upright however your feet are up just slightly higher and the bars slightly lower. It handles better and there's a big boost in power and torque so all things together it's more exhilarating to ride than the Nighthawk. This being said the Nighthawk is fun as well, more relaxed, and the low mufflers make soft luggage easy to mount.

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Sweet bike. My riding companion has a green Kermit colored 919. He usually takes off early and waits for the rest of pack down the roads.

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
I've seen the bright green but only in pictures, it's a matte finish and really cool looking.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »
Sweet bike. My riding companion has a green Kermit colored 919. He usually takes off early and waits for the rest of pack down the roads.

I have a buddy like that too (riding, not the 919).  Takes off early and we catch up to him while he has to stop and refill ^.^  Enthusiastic riding and sportbike not the best for mileage...

Offline brittles

• View Profile
  • Bike: '84 CB700SC
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »
Nice looking bike. I'd like to have one for my local, semi-local spirited rides.

Offline BrandonBZ

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
 :hot: DAMN that's a nice looking bike, I am gonna have to track one down in my area and give it a ride, it looks on the verge of too much fun(so just enough)

Congrats
Knowledge is Power, I want to be Powerful

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
Congrats on the Hornet purchase!  I've had mine for a few months now and really like it.  It's an '06 with just over 50K on it.  Checked the valve lash this week and everything was still in spec and looking good.  WristTwisters.com is a good site for 919 info.  I'm selling small rear racks for the 919 like you see on mine, let me know if you might be interested in one.

Just happy to be here :)

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
:hot: DAMN that's a nice looking bike, I am gonna have to track one down in my area and give it a ride, it looks on the verge of too much fun(so just enough)

Congrats

Thanks Brandon. They show up on Craigslist all the time it's just a matter of how far you want to go for the one you want. This one was almost 4 hours away and now I see a similar one less than 2 hours away.

Thanks gn83tm. I've heard others same the same thing so valve clearance on these bikes must stay in tolerance almost forever. That's a nice looking little rack you make. I thought about adding a rack, luggage, and windshield but I have other bikes better suited for long rides so this bike will probably be used for local riding in good weather.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
I find myself very attracted to the 919 for it's looks and for that beautiful and sensibly-tuned 21st century powerplant. I am curious about other aspects though, namely the suspension, brakes, ergos, and overall handling. Could some of you 919 owners/riders provide some insight into what you love, hate, or tolerate about riding the 919? It could be my next bike, but there are a lot of great options out there. I know there are discussions about this bike all over the place, but I trust the NH forums community more than others, as Nighthawk owners tend to be more practical and thoughtful about their bikes, elsewhere you get a lot of noise from speed addicted squid.

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
Sounds like you think some of us are mature  og2

The engine is certainly a sweet one and I'm really liking the fuel injection - turn the key on, push the button, and it's purring.

The suspension is on par with most of the other big 4 bikes - adequate but certainly can be improved.  The PO of my bike changed out the front springs and the forks feel pretty good.  The shock is a little harsh over sharp bumps and many serious riders will upgrade it.  It works ok for me though and is actually better with a pillion.

Brakes are adequate and I don't really know of many that upgrade them.

Ergos can be dialed in for your preference pretty easily.  Most guys don't like the stock bars and switch to the Renthal lows.  I thought they were too far ahead on my bike and added Rox risers to bring them up and back.  I like it a lot better now.  I have the Corbin seat and it's hard, but comfy.  BTW, cycle-ergo.com is an excellent site that lets you select a bike and punch in your dimensions to get a diagram of how you'd sit on the bike.  Very helpful.

Overall handling is good for the mix of riding I do.  The bike is fairly light and nimble and many owners do serious track time with them.

I don't think there's anything I don't like about the bike.  It's typical Honda bullet-proof and well built but it's hard to believe they can't incorporate some of the old Nighthawk niceties into more bikes: shaft drive, hydraulic valves, gear position indicator, fuel gauge.  Since it's been out of production for a few years there is getting to be less aftermarket support.  Givi has quit making racks for side cases for instance. 

Some people complain about the exhaust stink getting on them and there is a lot of debate as to the cause of it.  I haven't experienced it though so I don't worry about it.

It's really a great bike.  I paid $2,500 for mine (it has about 50K miles) and I haven't seen anything better for the money since I bought it.  My son sold his GS500 and was looking to upgrade to something in that price range.  We've been looking hard but there just isn't anything that makes more sense for him than taking over the reigns of the 919.  We're calling it his and I'm now looking for an upgrade for me (and occasionally SWMBO) to ride.  My short list includes the Honda ST1100/1300, Triumph Trophy 900/1200, or possibly a wee Strom.
Just happy to be here :)

Offline spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
If anyone's looking for a pristine one near PA this one appears to be a new 2007 leftover. The dealer has it under "used" but it only has 7 miles.

http://www.trackntrail.net/pre_owned_list.asp?GroupBy=&newused=U&mfg=1&category=0&TypeID=0&ModelSearch=&ModelYearFrom=2007&ModelYearThru=2007&PriceFrom=&PriceThru=&stocknumber=&s=search&industry=1

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
If anyone's looking for a pristine one near PA this one appears to be a new 2007 leftover. The dealer has it under "used" but it only has 7 miles.

Do Want! Funny that they have to list it as used since Honda will no longer honor the warranty. I would probably be on my way to pick it up if i still lived in that part of the country, that's a lot of bike for the money.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
Do Want! Funny that they have to list it as used since Honda will no longer honor the warranty. I would probably be on my way to pick it up if i still lived in that part of the country, that's a lot of bike for the money.

That is a tough call.  Eight years, (nine if a 2006 released) pretty much means full overhaul of brakes, fuel system and tires are no good.  From sitting, bearings could be flat spotted.  Expect seals to let go unless it has been ran and stored properly every year regularily.  It says 5k, but I am betting add a thou or two at least of parts, work and time to have it properly and reliably rideable.

Offline draco_1967

• View Profile
  • Bike: NC700X
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
^This is what I was thinking too. 

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »
^This is what I was thinking too.

I would still get it though.  I can do mechanical, and if in otherwise flawless condition, the 919s are just beauties.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »

I would still get it though.  I can do mechanical, and if in otherwise flawless condition, the 919s are just beauties.

Used 07's in decent shape go for about $6k in my area, I'd take shelf-wear over the abuse dished out by an average rider over 8 years in most cases. I don't think dealers can legally sell a used bike with bad tires, so if there was any doubt about them, it could probably be negotiated. I expect they took the battery out and winterized the bike after it didn't sell in the first year. Also there's a good chance that it was kept in a climate-controlled showroom or shop, so condensation and weather/temperature related issues should be minimized.  Another I would be looking for on it would be the possibility that it has been ridden with the speedometer/odometer cable disconnected, or of course if it has ever been titled to anyone else.

My brother bought a leftover 2008 Hyosung GT650 in 2012, the fluids and battery were fresh, as the dealer kept the bikes winterized until the buyer was paid in full. Even with more than 4 years of shelf life and already being a questionable Korean bike, he has never had a bit of trouble with it. Unlike the Honda though, Hyosung honored their 2 year warranty from the day of purchase, which he never needed to use.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved