Username: Password:

Author Topic: Summer Trip 2015  (Read 1454 times)

Offline 08night

• View Profile
  • Bike: 08 Nighthawk
Summer Trip 2015
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
Hello everyone!
I'm planning on doing a trip this summer probably in June from Satellite Beach FL to Cadiz Kentucky"We are going there to my grandfathers house to spend a few weeks relaxing after my graduation".
My brother and I are going and we where going to drive up there but thought taking out bikes would be a lot more fun than driving!
I'm riding my 08 Honda nighthawk 250 and my brother is riding his 05 ninja 250.
I'm getting my bike ready for the trip and doing all the maintenance and making sure it could handle it. I thought doing all of it now would give me time to find routes and get everything ready.

I do have a few questions though.
My first question is can the nighthawk handle the interstate? Since its a 250 I wasn't thinking it could but would love some opinions or stories about it.
My second question does anyone have any roads/routes that they have taken that might be more enjoyable then just the interstate? Or that are a bit slower so the bikes can handle it.
Ive taken this trip before with my car but I only took the interstate and haven't taken my motorcycle on this long of a trip.
Is there any sort of maintenance or anything that I should do before taking the trip?

When I start the trip im going to upload pictures and things I find along the way.   bkr3
I will also be doing videos and guides on any maintenance I do and uploading/posting them on the forum.
New rider alert!

Offline Drdubb

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 83' 650, NC700X
Re: Summer Trip 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
Can't tell you if its interstate capable...but riding back roads is more fun and interesting
Blog posts at:
Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »
Slab is sometimes unavoidable. Bike should be able to handle it. Might not be as fast as you'd like.

For a long trip I'd recommend a windshield and throttle lock. You may consider getting an Airhawk also. None are bad purchases as they can follow you to your next bike.

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
You could try http://motorcycleroads.com/ and see if any of the roads listed are in the area you will pass through.
Both bikes should be capable. I think it will be more what you are comfortable with. I have run my 171cc scooter on the freeway, top speed is a little over 70MPH and it is legal. It isn't particularly comfortable to ride it for long at top speed though.
'09 BMW R1200RT, '09  Bonneville, '08 SYM HD200

Online n5tbu

• View Profile
  • Bike: Late model 750
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
Looks like about 900 miles.plan on 250-350 miles a day.
You can do way more than that,but you won't enjoy it.
Lube your chain at the end of each days ride while the chain is still hot.
I use dupont chain wax with good results.
An air compressor,tire tools and tube patches is a good idea,spare tubes,even better!
The NH 250 can handle the interstate...but it's buzzy and tiresome,back roads would be better,slower and more scenic.
There is nothing better than travel by bike,good luck!
mod bkr3
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline LOKi

• View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
Longer trips have been made on lesser machines.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Avoid the interstate and take your time enjoying the back roads.
Ride fast and take chances.

Offline skramer360

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 700s
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
I'll 2nd the throttle lock. I rode from Indiana to Pennsylvania (750 miles) last year. The throttle lock was a life saver.

Sent from Some Samsung Smart Something

Offline Drdubb

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 83' 650, NC700X
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
take pics for your ride report...
Blog posts at:
Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 12:12:53 AM »
Stay off the interstates unless you just like punishment and constant high speed operations and don't want to do anything other than just get to the destination and nothing else matters. Any way it goes, 900+ miles isn't going to be any fun after the first few hours on an interstate and you'll still have several days to go. In reality, enjoying a long range ride is no more than about 300 miles a day on average regardless of speed, beyond that you're just abusing yourself.

There are countless backroads everywhere in this country. Every one of those roads have something interesting to offer other than mile marker signs going by like picket fences and 90mph cages coming up behind you. There are countless interesting things to stop at and see when on the back highways. Pull a paper map out and just look at it for a while and you'll see what every one of those interstates misses.

If you want the destination, ride in a jet. If you want to see america, get on the back highways and enjoy the ride.

Offline OMinbound

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk CB650
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
For that trip, do NOT miss a chance to ride the Dragon.  Hwy 28 from NC into TN.  Just take it easy and don't follow the maniacs that see it as a challenge to haul ass. People come from hundreds and thousands of miles to ride the Dragon.  Have a safe and great trip.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved