Username: Password:

Author Topic: DC and Me  (Read 777 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Kawasaki Ninja
DC and Me
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »

My lovely wife told me she had a conference in Washington DC and asked if I wanted to tag along.  Immediately I said, sure, I will take my bike.  The most direct route from Boston to DC takes about 8 hours and passes by New York and Baltimore.  I took a more leisurely route through Pennsylvania thinking it would be more enjoyable.  Here are a few shots from my trip, most the trees are still pretty barren along the route though as I got to DC it's much more Spring-like.

A photo along the Delaware Water Gap that runs the border of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  I'm on the PA side.

In DC and walking the National Mall.

Stopped at my favorite museum, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  Here is a photo of SpaceShip One.  I don't know how to describe my reaction, I guess surprise as it looked a bit unimpressive up close.  Looks more like a mock-up than an actual functioning craft.

Here is an ME262, the first jet fighter, built by the Germans and put into service at the end of WW2.  What surprised me most about it was how ripply and uneven the skin around the fuselage appeared.

A nice close up of a radial engine from the Spirit of St Louis.

I don't think the term "Steampunk" existed when the Soviets were designing the Soyuz capsule but that's all I can think of when I look at it.

This car caught my eye when I was walking towards the Capitol building, it's a Lotus I think.  After I snapped the photo I noticed the police use sign on the dash.

Exploring the countryside of Virginia and Maryland.  Had some delicious BBQ.  The place is real charming on the inside, a bunch of small compartmentalized dining areas with a casual down home feel.

While looking at maps of areas surrounding DC I finally picked Shenandoah National Park as my trip.  Turned out to be a great decision.

Entering the park the trees are budding and their are blossoms.  This is at the lower elevation.

The road is called Skyline Drive and it winds just over 105 miles through the park.  Takes about three hours to cross if you don't stop as the speed limit ranges from 35 - 45 mph.  Lots of turns a very enjoyable bike ride and highly recommended to anyone in the area.

I wasn't the only rider out that day, there were a few of us but not many.  I imagine when it gets warmer out the road is filled with cars and bikes alike.  You can see in this photo that the trees are still mostly barren at the higher elevation.

I met this rider, Scott at two of the pull-outs.  I actually saw him on the highway on the way to the park.  I was just toodling along in the right lane and he buzzed by in the left.  I thought it was a CBR650F when it passed me but it turns out it is a 300.  It was going at a good clip, a lot of punch in that little motor.

There are so many lookouts along the route.  Here we are about 2800 feet above sea level, if I remember right the highest point along Skyline Drive is just under 4000 feet.

This is my only photo on my return trip.  Just outside of DC and near Frederick, MD.  I don't know why I pulled over to this rest stop as I was only an hour or so into my trip but the sky was so beautiful I needed to try and get a good photo.  It's about 7am and it was the warmest it was going to get for the rest of the trip.

I made my way home, 13 hours total for the ride back.  It snowed on me in every state, high winds, cold and rain... just miserable.  I even got frostbite in my fingertips.  Some of the feeling may not come back, the worst was my left thumb, it's still in bad shape.  Too bad the weather was so bad, there were some areas that would have been worth exploring, maybe next time.

I was glad to be back home after the long ride.  I really enjoyed Shenandoah and hope to go back one day.  I also love DC, it's like no other city I have visited.  Ride safe my friends.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: DC and Me
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
Excellent pics and report as usual Dan.  I guess the rough winter in Mass. had you anxious to ride in some warmer temps.  Maybe some hand guards and heated grips/gloves are needed for the Ninja.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '84 CB700S
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »
That's a radial engine on the Spirit of St Louis, not a rotary.
I one drove a tank that had a radial engine in it.  What a noise!
made of meat

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Kawasaki Ninja
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 05:59:36 AM »
Thanks for the correction, mollusc.  I corrected the error.

I don't know about adding guards and heated grips, Hog, but I think some heated gear would be good.  Would have saved my fingertips.  They have been slowly getting their feeling back.

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »
My neck of the woods! On those roads all the time. Glad you enjoyed em. bkr3

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »
Great pictures.  Bad news about the frost bite.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved