Username: Password:

Author Topic: Red River Rises Rapidly  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Red River Rises Rapidly
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
We have had one of the wettest Spring seasons in many moons here and all along the Red River valley, which stretches from the Texas panhandle to south Louisiana where it eventually empties into the Big Muddy.  The biggest lake on the Red is Lake Texoma, hundreds of miles west of here.  For only the 4th time in the history of the dam, water is flowing over the spillway.  This 1st pic was taken Saturday.  River was high then, but didn't top the spillway on Texoma until Sunday morning.

This was taken yesterday evening.  We were parked about 20 yards past the waters edge just a few days ago.

Hard to see how much higher the river is on the bridge columns as I was much farther from them.  Water was probably about 6' from the level of the road.

This photo will give you an idea of the scope.  Hundreds of thousands of acres of fertile farmland is going to take a major hit for hundreds of miles as the river has yet to crest.  More heavy rain fell in the river valley today with a chance for much more in the next several days.  This road is about 15 miles west of the road I took my pics from and both bridges were closed today.  Could be several days before the water recedes and they can reopen these vital roads.  Wish we could send our excess water to drought stricken areas.

Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: Red River Rises Rapidly
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:21:31 AM »
Knew about the flooding, but hadn't really paid attention to it. That's a ton of water.

Hoping you guys dry out soon.

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:35:49 AM »
Knew about the flooding, but hadn't really paid attention to it. That's a ton of water.

A cubic yard displaces about 1500lbs which is 3/4 of a short ton of water.
That's a LOT of tons of water in that picture. Lots of tons...and it all fell out of the sky..and it's not over yet.

Core collapses are scary enough...Aren't you glad that clouds don't just fall out of the sky all at once?

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
 Tons more fell today with more in the forecast for the weekend.  It's merely irritating to me, but to those whose land, home, and property    is flooded it is a matter of life and death and loss of income.   
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:17:15 PM »
Tons more yesterday.  But today the sun came out and so did my NH.  Took a nice late afternoon ride when I came across this nondescript creek that is usually just about 25' across.  It has now morphed into a few hundred acres of lake.  This pic is looking back at the bridge which usually is 20' or so above the creek.  When driving over it at normal level you would have to look hard to see water.

This is looking out at an inundated pasture that is now a few feet deep.  Looks like a good fishing hole.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
great pictures

Thanks for sharing

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »
Nice pictures and descriptions.
If you want to funnel any of it out here we could sure use it!
'09 BMW R1200RT, '09  Bonneville, '08 SYM HD200

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
Would love to send some your way Burgi.  It has stopped raining but will take weeks for the river to recede to its normal channel.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:33 PM »
Going to need some outriggers, a rudder and sail soon for your Nighthawk.  Some fascinating photos.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
We are now in our usual Summer mode Dan-hot and dry.  Flirting with 100 every day and has not rained in 3 weeks.  I haven't taken a pic of the Red lately,  but rode over it last week and though it has receded a good bit, still fairly high.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 05:31:44 AM »
By the way, Hog Dog, I like the alliteration in the thread topic subject title.  nice1

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
I appreciate your admiration of the alliteration.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved