Username: Password:

Author Topic: 93 My Old Buildup  (Read 2814 times)

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
93 My Old Buildup
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »
Hi to all,

I was on this forum a while back and I'm sure some remember my bike or at list the way it looked the last time, I had life changing event and had to drop for a long time, but I'm back as somewhat a new member.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
here are some of the latest pictures of my bike from this past weekend.

Cheers

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
Re: 93 My Old Buildup
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
I got this bike back in 1999 and started the build over a period of 3 months at first and later added other things as time went by, the bike is around 40k miles at this time and it is a solid machine, except the visual things, I did updated electrical components with my own wiring, lighting and MOSFET charging system.

Offline NaK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:36:21 PM »
Sick bike, really digging the more serious look.  Is this a non US model since it has the rear disc and dual fronts? Is your side cover cut down in the back?

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Good one, also the excuse I gave to a cop that was checking my papers a while back that actually new bikes ;-)
but no, it is all American, I fitted the ream from an old CBR900 and the put together the rear brake system from CBR600 and VFR parts.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »
The bike handles really well in this setup and feels almost like CBR, just a bit slower on top end, but who cares about top end, it's got plenty low end usable torque for an inline four.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »
Oh sorry, yes the side panels are cut down, once I eliminated the tail, it didn't make sense to leave them in the original shape, the tail, or what's left of it you can see as underbelly.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
Custom done right!

ridn2

Looks like a bike built to ride, by a rider.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Thank you RJ CB650, would like to think so ;-) in any case, the bike always evolving, which is part of the fun.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
Thank you RJ CB650, would like to think so ;-) in any case, the bike always evolving, which is part of the fun.

Know the feeling!  My 82 has many not 82 things.  Doing conversion soon to all led electrics to reduce draw on alternator.  Tires, brakes already upgraded and this winter, suspension.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »
I had 1985 CB650 that I converted as well, I need to find the paper photos and scan them, it was a nice bike, love the bikes from that era, I felt a lose when I sold it...

Offline NaK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
Good one, also the excuse I gave to a cop that was checking my papers a while back that actually new bikes ;-)
but no, it is all American, I fitted the ream from an old CBR900 and the put together the rear brake system from CBR600 and VFR parts.

I'd love to hear and see more details on fitting the rear rim.  Was it more or less a bolt on procedure or did it require machining for proper spacing?  Since I have to replace my rear rim on my 92 anyways I was thinking of going cbr 600 f2.

Is the front end off of a cbr900 too? What about those rear shocks they don't look stock.

Sorry for the endless questions.

Oh sorry, yes the side panels are cut down, once I eliminated the tail, it didn't make sense to leave them in the original shape, the tail, or what's left of it you can see as underbelly.

Looks good. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the original tail design. It looks heavy compared to the stripped down version you have.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »

I'd love to hear and see more details on fitting the rear rim.  Was it more or less a bolt on procedure or did it require machining for proper spacing?  Since I have to replace my rear rim on my 92 anyways I was thinking of going cbr 600 f2.

Is the front end off of a cbr900 too? What about those rear shocks they don't look stock.

Sorry for the endless questions.

Looks good. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the original tail design. It looks heavy compared to the stripped down version you have.

No problem, glad to help, you can fit the CBR wheels F2, F3, 900 and Superhawk, but you have to get different bearings that fit the original axle (smaller diameter), you can get them from All Balls Racing (also better products).
You also need to fit the correct spacer between the bearings and cut spacers for the right and left side depending on the wheel and the Caliper bracket you going to use, the caliper bracket also need a stopper.
The swing arm is large enough to fit 190 wheel, although it does require playing a bit with the chain alignment.
As for the rear sprocket and hub, it will fit any wheel from that period, all CBR's and Superhawk, one of the things I love about Honda, many of the parts are interchangeable.

The front end made of CBR600 F3 forks (straight bolt on), Currently Superhawk front wheel or any CBR will fit as well, if you want to keep the speedometer running, you will need F2 wheel, but the speed reading will be off, due to the different wheel diameter.
Dual calipers do need better master cylinder, I got F3 master for this.

Front end makes it so much a better ride, you will not recognize the bike, with more aggressive position, adjustable shocks and strong brakes it makes it very easy to deep into turns using trail-braking with excellent control.
If I would recommend the best mod's to this bike, it would be changing the front end and rear shocks before you do anything else!

Rear shocks are off CB700S, Honda used to make better, much more adjustable shocks on the older ones, but from 1991 in an effort to make it more simple, they did a terrible job on the rear shocks, pretty useless IMO.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
Found couple old pictures of my 85 CB650, not the best quality from about 20 years ago ;-)

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
Welcome back to NHF.  I like what you have done with your 750.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 06:38:36 AM »
Welcome back to NHF.  I like what you have done with your 750.

Thanks Hog Dog

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »
Decided to paint the exhaust in semi flat black, not sure I like it though...

Offline Double_J

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 nighthawk750
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 03:50:24 AM »
Did that tank bolt on or did you tweet it? Recently got a 02 750 NH and want to go more street fighter when I can. I like the look of yours a lot.

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:01:08 AM »
 nice1

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
What a cool build! I really like it.
I'd love to know what those rear sets are off of and how you ended up fitting the linkage?
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 07:39:35 PM »
Haven't been here for a while, sorry guy's for not responding, I did another modification during the summer on the seat, ended redesigning the seat completely, but the base is still the old nighthawk seat. I will post some pictures shortly.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »
Please, can anyone remind me how to attach pictures here, I don't see a tab for this...

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »
Just copy and paste the "IMG" link of your picture from a hosting site.

What are those rear sets off of? Did you just drill them into the frame?
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
Just copy and paste the "IMG" link of your picture from a hosting site.

What are those rear sets off of? Did you just drill them into the frame?

Ah.. thank you, the rear sets are from CBR600 F3, I actually cut off the originals and welded shut the frame, for the new sets, I welded double nuts to the frame in a more ergonomic location for me.

Someone asked about the tank fitment, it is a CBR900R tank that normally would never fit on this frame, I had to cut and weld half a tube into the tank and made a bracket with bolts to secure the tank in place without vibrations.

Offline NHSH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
not as clear, but still ok picture

My lady trying out the new setup

Another good one

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved