Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nighthawk's Stolen Sidekick  (Read 3694 times)

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
Nighthawk's Stolen Sidekick
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
Here is my 2000 Kawasaki KE100, which was stolen from my apartment in Houston in the early morning hours of Valentine's Day 2014.  It was the cleanest example of this bike that I've ever seen, for every small thing that it needed, I bought only Genuine Kawasaki parts. I bought it with just 500 miles on the clock, rode it daily to just under 3k before someone cut the chain and took it.  It pains me to think of the miserable fate it must have suffered when someone must have drilled out the fork lock, the tank lock, the ignition lock, and the seat lock.  I only wish it weren't in such perfect shape, so that maybe it would be less of a tragedy.

I was planning on selling this little guy as soon as the weather broke, as it was very cold that week.  Immediately after it was stolen, there were 10 straight days of sun and highs in the 70's.  It was truly a pleasure to ride, it got more love out on the street and at the gas station than most bikes ever will, and was fun for casual trail riding too.  I would have rather given the thieves the keys than let them destroy the thing trying to make it operable, I'm certain that it is worthless now, just like every other KE 100 out there.  I have an alarm system on the Hawk that is loud enough to wake me up and sensitive enough to go off when needed.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: Nighthawk's Stolen Sidekick
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
 That is a cool little Kaw.  A shame it was stolen.  Hopefully the thief got some bad karma for his larceny.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Hawkens

• View Profile
  • Bike: 13 V-Strom 650
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
That bike is a beauty, it reminds of the first adult style dirt bike I had the kick start and big comfy couch seat,did the cops give you any idea if the knew who could be responsible?

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
That's a nice little Kaw, in excellent shape, and it's an absolute bummer that some unappreciative low life got it.  I've had similar bikes ((Yammy DT100, DT175, and DT250,  Kaw KDX80) and they are simple fun.

That looks to be a bit of a different motor - I think it'd properly be called a case reed.  Looks like it has an oil injection system also.  Is that the clutch cable going into the lower right side of the motor?
Just happy to be here :)

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:10:51 AM »
did the cops give you any idea if the knew who could be responsible?

They won't even come out to make a report in person for stolen property under $5k.  I think it was just some opportunistic lowlife who happened to be bored and had the tools to cut my chain. I do have a neighbor who had a gsxr that was stolen by professionals though, couple of guys with a box truck staked his bike out, snagged it on a Sunday afternoon once they figured out his schedule.

That looks to be a bit of a different motor - I think it'd properly be called a case reed.  Looks like it has an oil injection system also.  Is that the clutch cable going into the lower right side of the motor?

It's a rotary valve motor, there is a spinning disc down inside the case that acts to open and close the intake, there are no reeds on this type of two stroke. It is oil injected, and the cable going into the top right side are the throttle and oil injector cables, the carb is under the right side case cover, there is a passage through the case to the air filter housing. The cable on the bottom of the same side is the clutch cable.
It's a very reliable design, lasting from 1976 to 2001 when street legal 2-strokes were pretty much regulated out of existence. The only thing they changed on the late models was an upgrade to electronic ignition, and early on the transmissions changed from 5-up to 1-down 4-up. It made very even predictable power, not at all "peaky" like some two strokes can tend to be. I used to have a 1976 Suzuki A-100 go-fer that used a similar design back to the 60's, (I'll probably never own a cooler bike than that one). I also had a 90's Yamaha rt-100 when I was 12, but that one was standard reed valve intake. I don't know why, but the 100cc two strokes have always appealed to me.

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »
Thanks for the info on the motor.  I've owned quite a few two strokes over the last 38 years but am not familiar with that design.  It's very interesting, and cool.
Just happy to be here :)

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
Here's a pic with the right side case cover off, I took this when I first got the bike before I had started cleaning it up and was checking the carb, which I expected to need cleaning, but ended up being spotless.  There's a rubber grommet in the front of the case that you pull out to allow access to a bolt that clamps the carb on, the rotary valve is just beyond that clamp, unfortunately I have no good pictures of it, as you can only see it with the carb removed or if you completely open the slide and look straight through. Sorry about the blurry image, it was dark out and it was sloppy cell-phone photography.

Offline FearThis SC

• View Profile
  • Bike: 700/750
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:34:54 AM »
Did you find your bike? Or whom who stole it?  Sucks!

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
Did you find your bike? Or whom who stole it?  Sucks!

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, no. The greater Houston area has a population nearing 6 million people, it's a very easy place to disappear in. Interestingly, stolen vehicle records are only kept for 6 months unless you re-apply in writing through the mail to keep your vehicle listed as stolen, if you do not update the records every 6 months, the record is discarded and the thief can applyor a title for your vehicle in your county.  Houston Police actually sent me a letter 6 months from my report date asking questions like "Was your vehicle recovered?" and "Did we (the Houston Police Department) assist in recovering your vehicle?" They don't even have any record of what they've done themselves unless I tell them what they've done.

Even in the case that you keep the records constantly updated, all the thief has to do is leave the county and they can apply for a bonded title; If they keep the bonded title for a certain amount of time without anyone making any claims against it in their specific county, they can get a clean title and become the legal owner of the vehicle. They can then sell it without disclosing any history to the buyer.

If we reallocated one percent of the money we spend on worthless things like "bait car" operations in this country, we could easily maintain a national database of VIN's for stolen vehicles that could be kept indefinitely, and could be easily accessed every time a vehicle related transaction occurs, even every time a traffic stop occurs, the act of stealing vehicles could be cheaply and easily deterred. There are shoddy internet fee-based databases of such things, but they are unreliable and incomplete. One of them promised to show VINs reported stolen in the last 5 years, my VIN was considered clean on it.

Prevention is key to avoiding these headaches.  I really like the alarm I have on my Nighthawk now. I paid $20 from Amazon, and it has acted as a relatively effective deterrent. It used to go off frequently, I would sometimes see young guys running away each time I looked out the window when it went off. After a couple of months all of the local hoodlums now know to stay away from my stuff. It certainly isn't any kind of guarantee, but it is worth every penny I paid for it.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
That is surprising.  In Canada, the records are indefinite for VIN.  If something is reported stolen, it is forever stolen.  Hence, majority of stolen cars are recovered because they were joyrides or five finger taxi service.  The ones that are not recovered are normally the top tier pro thieves who then ship em overseas.

I really should get an alarm.  At home, I have a concrete and steel reinforced garage.  But when out and about, I park where I can see.

Offline InDC

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 CB750
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
I freakin' hate thieves. I really, really do. They're bloody cowards and absolute children. Every time I think of one going through my stuff, looking to see what they want, it makes my blood boil. It's happened more than once and words just can't express.

Offline rr91

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 NH750
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Unbelievable.  That's one of the most mind-boggling things I've heard.  hmmmm2

Interestingly, stolen vehicle records are only kept for 6 months unless you re-apply in writing through the mail to keep your vehicle listed as stolen, if you do not update the records every 6 months, the record is discarded and the thief can applyor a title for your vehicle in your county.  Houston Police actually sent me a letter 6 months from my report date asking questions like "Was your vehicle recovered?" and "Did we (the Houston Police Department) assist in recovering your vehicle?" They don't even have any record of what they've done themselves unless I tell them what they've done.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
Unbelievable.  That's one of the most mind-boggling things I've heard.  hmmmm2

more mind boggling is what happened in my city recently from part of our motorcycling group.

Somebody stole 75 CT70, not to ride, but just smash it up.  Parts were tossed all over.  They found it obviously, but a mintie bike just thrashed.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:39 AM »
Sorry to hear of your stolen and unrecovered bike. I realize this is an old post, but if you remained happy with your NH's $20. Amazon alarm, please post link, as now you've got me think'n.
Every day is a gift.

Online Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss. I often wonder how the stats would change if thieves had their hands cut off like in some of "those" countries.
 I have what I think is a '76 version of that same bike in my garage. I say think because it is in very rough shape and has been painted over in white with a brush. A friend gave it to me to see if I could get it running. That engine is definitely an odd layout.

Offline smoojee

• View Profile
  • Bike: 93 NH 750
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »
What kind of chain did you have on it?
93 CB750 Nighthawk
80 CB750f Streetfighter

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 750
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
Ditto - I'd be very interested to know what kind of alarm you purchased.  I've seen some of the more expensive ones like Gorilla, Scorpion, etc., but they seem pretty cost prohibitive.

Then again...can I really put a pricetag on my bike?? (Realistically yes...emotionally, no.)  haphap

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
I have a Gorilla 9000.  Cost right around $100 from Amazon.  I don't use it all that often -- mostly if I'm parking on the street somewhere and I feel the blinking light will be a deterrent (I mounted the LED between the speedo and the rev counter).
I haven't got something quite set up yet though, because it tends to go off unexpectedly.  I think it's the vibration sensor.  However, each of the sensors can be disabled individually, and the vibration sensor has multiple levels of sensitivity.
made of meat

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 750
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
I have a Gorilla 9000.  Cost right around $100 from Amazon.  I don't use it all that often -- mostly if I'm parking on the street somewhere and I feel the blinking light will be a deterrent (I mounted the LED between the speedo and the rev counter).
I haven't got something quite set up yet though, because it tends to go off unexpectedly.  I think it's the vibration sensor.  However, each of the sensors can be disabled individually, and the vibration sensor has multiple levels of sensitivity.
A few people had mentioned that they thought their tilt sensor wasn't recalibrating when they would turn it on - looks like the company has allegedly corrected this with their latest batch of them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Sorry to hear of your stolen and unrecovered bike. I realize this is an old post, but if you remained happy with your NH's $20. Amazon alarm, please post link, as now you've got me think'n.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XEOMB2/

That's the one I bought, I was happy with it for as long as I had the bike, which was over a year from when I added the alarm. I didn't use any of the lights or more advanced integrated features aside from the tilt/shock/motion alarm and wireless remote. It definitely worked, One day as I was walking up to the bike from a long distance, I saw a teenage kid wandering around the parking lot talking on his cell phone, as he walked by he put his hand on the handlebar (not in a malicious way, just sortof fidgeting), the alarm immediately sounded, scared him pretty good; He ran off, didn't walk by again. It was loud enough to easily hear from any room inside my apartment, and was obnoxious enough to wake me up at night.  I had an occasional false alarm, not very often though.  It also makes a pretty standard alarm chirp when when you arm it, which is somewhat of a deterrent in itself, lets anyone around know you have put some kind of effort into your security; most criminals are opportunists who are not interested in a challenge, will sooner move on to lower hanging fruit.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XEOMB2/

That's the one I bought, I was happy with it for as long as I had the bike, which was over a year from when I added the alarm. I didn't use any of the lights or more advanced integrated features aside from the tilt/shock/motion alarm and wireless remote. It definitely worked, One day as I was walking up to the bike from a long distance, I saw a teenage kid wandering around the parking lot talking on his cell phone, as he walked by he put his hand on the handlebar (not in a malicious way, just sortof fidgeting), the alarm immediately sounded, scared him pretty good; He ran off, didn't walk by again. It was loud enough to easily hear from any room inside my apartment, and was obnoxious enough to wake me up at night.  I had an occasional false alarm, not very often though.  It also makes a pretty standard alarm chirp when when you arm it, which is somewhat of a deterrent in itself, lets anyone around know you have put some kind of effort into your security; most criminals are opportunists who are not interested in a challenge, will sooner move on to lower hanging fruit.

Sweet; Thanks! (Read your response prior, but guess I'd forgotten to reply).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline 01-7700

• View Profile
  • Bike: 85 CB650
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
I had one of those bikes back in the 70's / 80's - my first bike. I loved that bike, wish I could find one like it today. Sorry for your loss.
Never look a gift Honda in the mouth.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved