Username: Password:

Author Topic: Always Have a Plan C  (Read 1072 times)

Offline arfingdog

• View Profile
  • Bike: 93 NH 750
Always Have a Plan C
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »
I recently spent an excellent week riding with friends in perfect weather. We stayed in a cabin in Luray, VA, rode Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP from end to end, and rode all around the scenic Shenandoah valley. A great trip!--but nowhere near the original plan.

The plan-which had been out there for a long time- was to trailer our three bikes, my NH 750, Jerry's Triumph Bonneville, and Brian's BMW R65, up to Nova Scotia from Virginia, and then camp and ride. The plan was in effect until a few days before the planned August 22 start, when it became obvious that the weather for our non-trailering 5 days was probably going to be very wet.

So Plan B was loosely hatched: New Hampshire. The weather looked better there and we'd have a much smaller travel investment going from Virginia to NH rather than NS, should we be laid up with some bad days. So Brian procured the trailer, hooked it up to his SUV, and drove up to northern Virginia from Charlottesville, where Jerry and I loaded our bikes and we all took off on Saturday evening.

Plan B remained in effect for about 3 1/2 more hours, at which time Brian's car's transmission burned out spectacularly, leaving us near Myerstown, Pennsylvania. By about midnight we had the trailer towed to a motel and the car towed to a local transmission shop. We would be there until Monday because nothing could be done on Sunday. So the next day,  we replaced my broken brake line (I'll file that story some time under "Trailer loading hijinks"), unloaded the bikes and spent most of Sunday riding around some beautiful  Pennsylvania countryside, getting down to Mt. Gretna, over to Hershey, and up to Fort Indiantown Gap in the process. We were feeling good at this point to have a nice riding day in the middle of the wreckage of the trip.

Plan C was born Monday morning, once we looked at the weather for the Luray area, where Brian had a cabin, and figured out how to get the trailer back to its home base. We rented a UHaul truck for this and then towed the trailer back to Charlottesville, stayed there a night, and ditched the rentals Tuesday morning. With just the bikes now and under blue skies, we rode the spectacular 74 miles of Skyline Drive from Rockfish Gap in the south to Thornton Gap to get to Luray.

The rest of Plan C was to ride around the Shenandoah valley every day and to finish the northern section of Skyline. All was done and enjoyed. I'm afraid a lot of the map specifics run together in my mind, but I can say that Fort Valley is well worth riding through, as is the road that goes through Orkney Springs. And Camp Roosevelt Road over some of the Massanutten range was always fun. This wasn't a high mileage trip--about 700 miles in all--but beautiful weather, excellent friends, and fun and scenic roads made it a great one.

Jerry, Brian, and me at a Shenandoah valley overlook

The bikes chilling at the Rodeway in Myerstown
93 NH 750
15 BMW R1200R

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 650
Re: Always Have a Plan C
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
The Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is spectacular but it sounds like you pieced together an excellent trip. It could have been a total bummer but you guys pulled it together. Well done.

Offline arfingdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »
Thanks Raven! And thanks for suggesting the Cabot Trail. If we aim at Nova Scotia again, we'll head north for that.
93 NH 750
15 BMW R1200R

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Ah, the woes of trailering.  I know them all too well.  A double edged sword for sure.  Just one more thing to go wrong.  But it has saved us more than it has caused us trouble.

Hard to avoid good roads in that area.  Glad Plan C turned out OK.

Offline arfingdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
It was my first time trailering, DF, so it seemed more like a triple edged sword! I've seen plenty of videos of cycle loading fails, but still managed to produce some of my own material. We couldn't push my bike up the ramp, so I rode it. Came in a little hot because I was worried about stalling midway and had to steer a little to the right to avoid the other bike, and the rear tire slipped out on the slick aluminum floor when I hit the brakes (no doubt too hard), pushing the right handlebar against the wall, breaking my nice new stainless line at a joint.

Amazingly, none of the bikes were hurt during the trailering itself, but I'm pretty sure we broke some rules in how we secured them.
93 NH 750
15 BMW R1200R

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:16 AM »
Amazingly, none of the bikes were hurt during the trailering itself, but I'm pretty sure we broke some rules in how we secured them.

The big rules are don't trailer in gear or trailer with the bike on a sidestand or centerstand.  Check your straps every stop.

The 750 Nighthawks are incredibly easy to tie down, especially when compared to the FJR.

Online Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
  Your group made the best of some bad circumstances.  Glad you got some good riding in good scenery.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline arfingdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »
Thanks, HotDog!
93 NH 750
15 BMW R1200R

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
Life is what happens when you are making plans.

Looks like a great trip besides the setbacks.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Adventurer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 06:17:01 AM »
Nice. BTW: I was just in Myerstown a few weeks back. Small world! They've even got a pure gas (non-ethanol) gas station there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved