Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Alps  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
The Alps
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
Not much a ride report but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing some pictures from the Alps.

We spent 10 days there in September. It is an absolutely breathtaking area of the world. Pictures are a bit limited, as we were with a group that didn’t stop much. Lucky for us one of the couples forgot their camera so we gave them ours. Riding two up the pillion rider was free to snap away, at least on the days it wasn’t raining or snowing.

We touched on Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria, and Liechtenstein. Switzerland had the best condition roads but was also incredibly expensive. For instance a simple bell pepper at the market was $8.15 USD!

I'm not a coffee drinker but hot chocolate seems just as popular. Mountain passes were cold, some just barely above freezing and I nursed many a cup!

Narrow, undivided roads are pretty common.

You never who you will meet on them.

It was time to bring the cows down from the high pastures for the winter. They get dressed up for the trip.

Yep, that is my bike. First time I've even dropped a bike so if I had to have an off at least it was somewhere interesting. No injuries and just minor scratches to the bike.

If switchbacks are your thing, finding them is easy enough.

Buses frequent the passes as well. They can't complete the turns without filling the entire road. HOKS caught one in a blind curve and was forced into a stone wall. He kept his bike up but put some good gouges in one of his side cases when he hit the wall. The bus driver came out, said there was no big damage and back off he went.

This was the view from our hotel on one of our last nights. I don't really have any words, it was just to beautiful.
'09 BMW R1200RT, '09  Bonneville, '08 SYM HD200

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Re: The Alps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »
"Not much a ride report"... Come on, this is amazing, thanks so much for sharing.  Sorry about the drop and about HOKS hitting the wall.  What kind of bikes did each of you ride and what did you think of them?

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »
What kind of bikes did each of you ride and what did you think of them?
They were BMWs..seems that is the majority of the rentals over there.
He had a K1600GT, so pretty close to his GTL. He said it shifted better than his but he prefers the more standard seating of the GTL.
I had a F800GT. I have ridden three of those now and as much as I want to love them it isn't going to happen. My biggest gripe is the windscreen...aims the wind right at the bottom of my helmet. Sure it could be sorted out, with a different screen, but if I am going to pay BMW prices I want it to be right from the beginning. The electric adjust screen on the RT really has me spoiled.  :jkam:
The last day I did a 4 hour solo ride across Switzerland...that was a whole other story...no GPS, no map and no language skills beyond English  eek1 .  I did it on the Autobahn, at an extremely spirited pace, and couldn't hear myself yelling in my helmet. Even with ear plugs I can tell I've done some damage.
Other than that the bike just doesn't do anything for me. I'm just left feeling...meh. Pretty bad since I would really like a mid size tourer.

Offline hockeyhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
Awesome report, breath taking views. Sorry about the off, glad there were no injuries. Thanks for sharing.

03 FZ1, 97 DR650

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »
Spectacular.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:13:56 PM »
What kind of bikes did each of you ride and what did you think of them?
They were BMWs..seems that is the majority of the rentals over there.
He had a K1600GT, so pretty close to his GTL. He said it shifted better than his but he prefers the more standard seating of the GTL.
I had a F800GT. I have ridden three of those now and as much as I want to love them it isn't going to happen. My biggest gripe is the windscreen...aims the wind right at the bottom of my helmet. Sure it could be sorted out, with a different screen, but if I am going to pay BMW prices I want it to be right from the beginning. The electric adjust screen on the RT really has me spoiled.  :jkam:
The last day I did a 4 hour solo ride across Switzerland...that was a whole other story...no GPS, no map and no language skills beyond English  eek1 .  I did it on the Autobahn, at an extremely spirited pace, and couldn't hear myself yelling in my helmet. Even with ear plugs I can tell I've done some damage.
Other than that the bike just doesn't do anything for me. I'm just left feeling...meh. Pretty bad since I would really like a mid size tourer.

I've heard that quite a bit about the F800's.  Although, if it's just a windscreen issue that's not such a big deal.  Especially when the bike isn't priced all that high compared to it's sorta competition, the Honda Interceptor.  Have you looked at the R1200RS?  It's not exactly mid-size but it only weighs around 560lbs.  I'm looking for a mid-size sport tourer I can get along with too.  The Versys 650 is my front runner.

Either way, I loved the report and the solo trip sounds pretty cool too.  I did that once, on the island of Tenerife.  Riding around with no GPS, no language skills and just the open road.  It was a great memory for me and I'm sure you had quite a solo adventure too.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »
Bummer about the incidents, but at least nobody was hurt and they were rentals!

Really cool pictures.  I'd love to go riding across the pond.  Someday......someday.  I love riding in new places. 

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »
One other bike to keep an eye on, Burgi.  Yamaha is making another mid-size tourer using the FZ7 platform.  I hope this one is a mini FJR and not what happened with the FJ09 adventure/sport/tour thing.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
One other bike to keep an eye on, Burgi.  Yamaha is making another mid-size tourer using the FZ7 platform.  I hope this one is a mini FJR and not what happened with the FJ09 adventure/sport/tour thing.

You got any info on this or an article?

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
I'd love to go riding across the pond.  Someday......someday.  I love riding in new places. 
I'd go with Asia over Europe. The cost is WAY less and it is a completely different experience than anything you'll do in the US.

I hope so. Everyone seems fixated on adventure bikes at the moment. The only thing unpaved near me is the desert and I have no interest in riding a big bike off across that!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved