Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plus One Syndrome  (Read 3230 times)

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
Plus One Syndrome
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »
UJM Forum
I got hit with a bout of Plus One Syndrome this weekend. It was too good of a deal to pass up. The good news is that I still have money left for a small dual sport (even though the budget is reduced). That's what I was originally planning to get. It’s a 2005 (non ABS) with 61k miles. It needs a new rear rotor and will need tires soon, but otherwise in pretty good shape. I’ll be doing my usual going through the bike replacing fluids, filters, plugs etc. before putting too many miles on it. I guess I’ll get to do my own ST1100 vs ST1300 comparo. I’ll keep both for now and may sell one in the spring (or may keep both to have a backup) depending on which I like better.

2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: Plus One Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Nice!

I really wanted to like the ST, but it just wasn't a good fit for a tall guy like myself. Fairings got in the way of my knee placement. I'll be interested in seeing your comparison. I've only ridden the ST1300. Fuel injection is a big plus in my book.

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
  • Bike: cb 450sc
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
so how does the ST11 compare to the ST13

Offline Sonnystile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 06:32:36 AM »
You are gonna love the auto-adjustable windscreen...

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
Oooooh, nice addition. I've been looking for ST1300 last few weeks but there is not much bike for sale in this part of the world.   I like to hear your experience with ST1300 (compared to ST1100).

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
I'll be doing a more complete comparison as I get to ride the new bike more (that's the down side of buying in the winter). In summary though, I'd say the 1300 leans more to the sport side of sport touring and the 1100 more to touring. I'm going to try not to let everything I've read color my opinion. There was quite a controversy when the new bike came out that a lot of people liked the old one better. A couple of issues mentioned are the heat generated and snatchy throttle due to the fuel injection. So far I think those complaints are overblown. Also, even though it's non ABS, it does have linked brakes (all non ABS 1300s do) which is a major safety upgrade over the non ABS 1100. I also like the looks of the 1300 a lot better. To me the 1100 looks kind of dated.

And I do love the electric windshield!

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »

I haven't ridden ABS bikes yet but the linked-brake system worked out fine for me. I have VFR800 and VTX1800 both have linked brakes. I never locked brakes on these bikes even in hair-raising emergency situations.

I also heard that ST1300 has three seating positions to choose from. I guess it offers a ton of flexibility on riding styles/comforts.

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
I also heard that ST1300 has three seating positions to choose from.

This is true - the seat is adjustable and offers three different positions.

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I just got a set of Pirelli angel gt's for my ST1300 and a wolfman endure tank bag. did handle bar risers last November along with mounting the garmin . hope you are enjoying both your ST's

Offline JamesG

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 CB250
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
Race bikes are the worst.  All to easy to justify picking up a "backup" or "spares" bike.  Pretty soon you have a whole herd of them.

Offline Hiatus

• View Profile
  • Bike: 700s
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:57 AM »
Nice looking bike

Offline Drdubb

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 83' 650, NC700X
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
If they are left alone in the garage, they multiply.
Blog posts at:
Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
I just got a set of Pirelli angel gt's for my ST1300 and a wolfman endure tank bag. did handle bar risers last November along with mounting the garmin . hope you are enjoying both your ST's

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I am enjoying my STs, though I think I'm going to let the 1100 go. They're too similar to justify maintaining and insuring both.

I need to get tires for my 1300. How are the Pirellis working for you?

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I am enjoying my STs, though I think I'm going to let the 1100 go. They're too similar to justify maintaining and insuring both.

I need to get tires for my 1300. How are the Pirellis working for you?
sorry for the late reply, I've really enjoyed the Pirelli angle gt's. I've got over 12,000 miles on them now if you decide to get them there is an " a " spec angle gt tire, it has a higher load rating than the standard tire. I switched out the stock windshield for a clearview small with a vent and I picked up a wolfman expedition small duffle bag too, it is waterproof the endure tank bag needed a few coatings of camp dry to make it waterproof. I couldn't get use to those small grips so grip puppys were added. going to work on some aux lighting soon and install the penski shock I picked up

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »
I had a 2001 and a 99 ST110, and an 04 ST1300A.  Having owned both, I'll give my .02:

The 1300 is definitely more sport oriented.  The handling is a bit sharper, the engine revs a bit faster and the overall feel is of a bike that wants to GO.  I did enjoy the ride, but overall I prefer the 1100.

Handling - both bikes are excellent, with the 13s being more sport oriented, therefore a bit "faster" than the 11s.  It never felt twitchy, but I prefer the more controlled feel I got when riding the 11.  One difference: the 13 had 5 gallons of gas in the main tank up high, that makes slow speed/parking lot maneuvers a little harder compared to having the whole 7.5 gallons below the seat like the 11 does.  One thing I do like; I'm a DarkSider, and the 13 can be done with no mods, the rim has to be replaced on the 11.

Engine - the 13 is more powerful, and every bit as smooth, but it always seems to have something of a - not sure of the word - it seems more intense, or working at a higher pitch, especially at highway speeds and above.  The 11 engine never feels to be working hard or revving high.  Even at fairly close RPMs, you feel it more on the 13.  Anecdotal evidence: blasting up an on-ramp with my 01 1100, I was just clicking into 5th when I chanced to look down.  I was just passing 110!  Had I not see that, I wouldn't have believed it otherwise.  No vibrations, minimal wind noise, no vibes to speak of.  Yes, the 13 will easily match that and likely loft the front wheel while doing it (yes, I did on more than one occasion) but to me, I could always tell when I was flogging the 13, the 11 seemed more sedate.  Also, the 11 always returned better mileage.  Partly because of gearing, but maybe because the 13 tended to inspire more spirited riding?

Ergos - The 13 is very comfortable, but I've heard horror stories about the OEM seat.  Mine came with a Sergeant Saddle, so I can't speak to those.  It also had bar risers when I got it. The 11 on the other had - every time I've sat on a stock model, everything just falls into place for me.  I never felt the need to modify the OEM riding position.  Also, my knees hits the fairing occasionally on the 13, never an issue with the 11.

Brakes - the 13 has "better" brakes, but since it was ABS, it's hard to say how much better.  I could slam them as hard as I liked with no fear of locking up.  I never had an issue with the 11s brakes, they always worked well and stopped fast.  Without ABS, I've heard that the 13s brakes are easy to lock up, but different pads cure that.

That's all I can think of for now.  Both bikes have been gone for a while so this is all memory.  I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.  The 11 is more tour oriented with the 13 being more sport.  If I could get a deal on either right now, I wouldn't pass it up.

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
install the penski shock I picked up

Nice - where did you get the Penski? I picked up a used shock off of eBay which supposedly from a 2012 Police bike. I plan to put it on and then get my existing shock rebuilt by Racetech. It sounds like you got great mileage out of the Pirellis. I'll have to consider them.

Wahrsuul - I pretty much concur with everything you're saying. I still have both bikes and they're both great, but each is better at certain things. The 11 is more touring, and the 13 more sport. The 13 is faster, handles better and brakes better, but not by a huge margin. Both of mine are non ABS and there is quite a difference in braking. The linked brakes give piece of mind - I've never had an issue with lockup.

The rpms on the 13 are around 500 higher for any given speed across the board. Fuel economy on the 11 is better - around 48 vs 45 for the 11, not to mention that it uses regular vs premium for the 13.

For me, both stock seats are fine, but I haven't ridden the 13 any really long distances yet. Once I get new tires this winter, I will. The 11 came with a Corbin along with the stock seat, but I hated it, so I sold it.

One of the negatives of the 13 is the heat generated. It's significantly more than the 11. I've been dealing with that first hand this summer. The 11 is a better hot weather bike.

I like that the 11 can be ridden without the saddlebags. It looks fine, while the 13 looks ridiculous. The 11's saddlebags also have straps inside and you can leave them unlocked. Not so with the 13. The 13's are shaped such that it's easier to fit my full face helmet in even though it fits in either.

What are you riding these days?

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:18:34 AM »
I forgot about the heat issue on the 13, the PO of mine had already some of the fixes for it, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I also forgot about the linked brakes.  With the ABS, I never noticed it.  If I could find either for a price I could afford, I'd get one.

After selling my 13 in a fit of mindless stupidity, I went bikeless for a while, then picked up a 99 Concours.  I had to repair a lot of the fairing, then I put in some upgrades and rode it for a while.  I traded it for a 95 Kawasaki Voyager so that the wife could ride with me.  But with her health issues, that hasn't happened.  In the 2 years I've had it, my son has ridden it more than me.  For some reason, I've just never "connected" with the bike. 

Don't really know why, it's smooth, comfortable, powerful isn't the right word - it's got enough oomph, but gearing makes it feel a little sluggish especially when compared to the STs or the Conc.  But I feel like if someone stole it off the carport tomorrow, I'd shrug my shoulders and loom for something else.  I could sell it, and I'm thinking about it, but it has some cosmetic issues so I can either sell low, or get them fixed and try to get more.  But I have a hard time working up enthusiasm for the bike.  I ride it enough to keep it running, but that's about it.

I also have the 96 Nighhawk.  It still belongs to my brother, but He upgraded to an 07 'Wing, and has a Ninja 250 for commuting, so the NH wasn't getting much use.

The wife's health issues keeps me from doing much more than commuting, so what else do I need?

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
Yesterday I installed a Progressive 465 rear shock on my ST1100 (super easy - two bolts). I only took it for a short spin, but I can already tell it made a huge difference. It's much more planted and confidence inspiring. The OEM Showa shock seemed okay, but with 57k on it, it was time to replace it. It's a decent shock as OEM shocks go but it was not rebuildable, so off it came. I'm more convinced than ever that suspension upgrades are one of the best ways to invest in improving your bike. This winter, I plan on replacing the tires and fork springs with straight rate springs.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:44:48 AM »
Glad you like it.  Never did any major mods to my 11s, they always seemed to be fine stock.

I just spent almost a month (ok, pretty much weekends only) putting new tires on the 13.  Couldn't get the rear tire off myself, so had to take it to a shop.  Then the brake caliper bolts were frozen, then the aftermarket pads wouldn't fit...  during all that, we had the big storm scare, so that took some time.  But, it's finally back together and ready.  So what do I do?  Dive my big yellow truck to work.   yaaaah3   Man I love the big Dodge. 

Still, I've got the 13 back together, I'm probably going to put it up on CL this week and see if I can sell or trade it for something else.  Just can't seem to get comfortable on the bike.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
A cure for the Plus One Syndrome - A bike that can do it all.
Short windshield - Sport bike
Tall windshield + bags - Sport Tour
Avon Storms - All weather interceptor...
While my Amber may notice me looking at another bike, she need not worry...
 scheet2
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »
Still, I've got the 13 back together, I'm probably going to put it up on CL this week and see if I can sell or trade it for something else.  Just can't seem to get comfortable on the bike.

I've had the 13 almost two years and haven't really bonded with it that much (though I like a lot about it). I've got the heat issue mostly sorted by using "Heat Out" undergarments from Cycle Gear. I still have an issue with the snatchy FI throttle response. It's been my main bike for mountain camping trips this year since I put new tires on it last winter. I can't say it's a great bike for the Dragon or other similar roads (too heavy and the aforementioned throttle response). I'll probably put it on CL next spring or possibly trade it in on something a lot lighter. Two heavy sport touring bikes is too many.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved