Username: Password:

Author Topic: An Italian in the works.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline ariwhiteboy

• Last of the V8 Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1K-Literhawk
An Italian in the works.
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
I recently acquired a 1974 Benelli 650s Tornado through some wheeling and dealing. I've been around all kinds of bikes all
my life and had never seen one, plus it was a one owner bike from an older gent who owned the Benelli Dealer in FL years ago. Got it home and pulled it apart, had it running in 5 days (personal record!) The plan is to build a nice tracker/cafe out of it and enjoy until I either tire of it or someone wants it more than me ($$$). It came with all the original documents and service manuals, so that is good. I've made a contact in PA who was the main importer of bikes and parts during that era, and he still has stuff sitting around, so petcocks and throttle cables are en route. As it sits, she needs new tires and a fork rebuild to be road worthy...everything after that point will be cosmetic. The coolest thing is the rear frame terminates at the shock mount, so no sawzall work for me!

Of course I realize the value of such a machine due to the rarity, so anything I do will be completely reversible and all stock parts removed will be going in a box in the attic.

There are many idiosyncrasies about this bike and it will be a learning experience. For starters, the shifter (stock GP pattern) is on the right and brake on the left. Speaking of brakes, it has gorgeous double front finned drums which no doubt look better than they work, but that's half the fun right? The indicator lights are completely strange and the fuses are old euro ceramics. I'm tickled pink with it though...nothing as rewarding as pumping the throttle on a big twin and having it catch first kick.

Here is a pic for now, my apologies for the direct upload Hondo, I will host on photobucket as soon as I get that app figured out.

What is good Phaedrus...

Offline arfingdog

• View Profile
  • Bike: 93 NH 750
Re: An Italian in the works.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
Cool old bike! Glad you're making your mods reversible.
93 NH 750
15 BMW R1200R

Offline Rakillia

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
I've never seen a Benelli bike but they make good shotguns:)  I would have the same approach.  Make it road worthy, have some fun with it and pass it on for more than I paid. 

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
Don't be doing stoppies with those dual drums.   How loud is that Italian twin?  Bet is will make a great looking cafe.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 650
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:55:03 AM »
I've never seen a Benelli bike but they make good shotguns:)   
Funny how bike makers also make guns and vice versa. BSA (British Small Arms) comes to mind. A lot of it started during WWII.

Cool bike. I see a Guzzi in my near future.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
Are the original documents in Italian?  whoohoo1

The guy that usually works on my bike had something like this in his shop recently.  Drove him nuts because all he could find were service manuals written in Italian.  Between Google Translate and lots of pictures, I guess he got it running.

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
Nah, everything is in English, but a I have seen a few interesting translations! LOL
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
Had a goody box today in the mail. New petcocks and NOS throttle cables has her up and running again. Gotta spend some time fine tuning this weekend. :D
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
I've been eyeing your FB posts and kept wanting to ask you where it came from. I know a guy in PA with one, is your supplier named Joel?
Talk about loud pipes....  yikes1 Hope you got an exhaust.
'09 BMW R1200RT, '09  Bonneville, '08 SYM HD200

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
The guy in PA is named Larry, but I'm sure he knows your friend too.

Yeah, she's pretty loud...but I'm kinda thinking I want it that way. It came with stock exhaust, which really aren't much quieter if you can believe it.
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
An Italian in the works.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
Adjusted the valves, set the points, and tinkered with the idle. She now starts first (maybe 2nd) kick and settles into an idle. To celebrate, I rode it down the street and back. :D
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline Drdubb

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 83' 650, NC700X
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:49:25 PM »
more pics!!!!!!

Ride it (or trailer) to KSL7
Blog posts at:
Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »
Well it doesn't really look too different...I'm hoping to spend the rest of my free time (Ha!) this month getting it road worthy, then do the cosmetic stuff during February. As for the seat...the one on it is a bunch of orphan junk that just holds my butt for the moment!
What is good Phaedrus...

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved