Username: Password:

Author Topic: GCRAD1 1995 750 NIGHTHAWK - The Adventure Is On!  (Read 3293 times)

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1995 750 NH
GCRAD1 1995 750 NIGHTHAWK - The Adventure Is On!
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
Hello Nighthawk Forum!
So it begins! I recently purchased this 1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk after reading several articles on how reliable they are and also through the encouragement of a local shop who said they too wanted to customize a 750 Nighthawk. If the bike was of interest to them, it was on my radar! Upon the time I looked, there where only two 750NH's available in the Los Angeles - Orange County section of Craigslist. I wanted to move on a bike quick, so that seemed to be the best place to start!

Here is the bike upon purchase and visiting the shop! They quickly began assessing a transformation for their needs and I too mine. BUT, before you think this is going to be just another Cafe transformation thread, it may, it may not… The bike was picked up for the purpose of my wife and I having something to ride (again). My previous 2-up'able bike was a KTM 950ADV. I broke my C1 (top neck bone on that bike) and it was a long recovery and the bike needed a new home. Back on topic here, this bike will take on some transformation, but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing. I know it will be a lot of service PM's at first, but the goal will be to keep it 2up'able. Let the adventure begin!

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: GCRAD1 1995 750 NIGHTHAWK - The Adventure Is On!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
Have fun with it and be careful.
I like the looks of that Suzuki GT750 2 stroke in the foreground of your photo. If that's the garage you are dealing with, you are in good hands.

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
Hey RAVEN thanks for stopping in and commenting on my post! 5150 Motorcycles in Huntington Beach is where that GT750 2-stroke hangs out! Cool cats over there for sure!

I'm also dealing with them and MACH1 Motorcycle Performance in Costa Mesa as well, close to the house and really knows their old school stuff and how to make it go!

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
First up, some PM's as in Preventative Maintenance as this bike is 20+ years old!

Here are my PM FRIENDS!

Clutch lever feels a little crusty and if you've even broken a clutch cable way out in the middle of the desert, that's easy to ride back. But trying to start-roll in gear on the street might be a little tricky! So we will give this perch and cable on love!

BelRay waterproof grease to the rescue!

And while we have the clutch perch apart…

Lets grease the cable while we are at it!

While we are at it..

Hoped onto the throttle side and gave it a little Silicone Spray as the throttle tube is made of plastic.

Scoot is ready to ride for now! Always more to do… but if it's rideable - RIDE! 

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:29 PM »
So much bling, it needed to be toned down! With so much sun reflection off the headlight crown, I wanted to do as most race cars and rally cars do on the dash, black it out without reflection. The fastest thing available in my garage was some black photo tape as it is made just for such situations! 

And while at it, why not give the bike a little attitude…

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:14:35 AM »
My typical helmet:

Needs a little attitude change…

So I picked up a BELL open face.

And added a bubble..

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »

DTLA Late Night Tour - Wall of Abstract

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:30:58 PM »
Welcome to the NHF GCRad1.  Love the pics from dtla.  NH makes a great 2 up bike.  My wife doesn't ride with me very often, but she said it is very comfy riding pillion on the NH>
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:42:26 AM »
Thank you Hog Dog for stopping in and commenting on the thread! The DTLA trip was a fun one!

Welcome to the NHF GCRad1.  Love the pics from dtla.  NH makes a great 2 up bike.  My wife doesn't ride with me very often, but she said it is very comfy riding pillion on the NH>

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:03 AM »
Made another day trip on the bike!

From Orange County to HWY-79 around Palomar Mountain, out through Pala on HWY-76, out to HWY-5 back home. It was roughly 250-miles round trip.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
Modern horse meets old horses.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline bugtussle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
What size is the front tire your running there? It looks a little oversized, I like the look....

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 11:51:45 AM »

Got an International package in the mail… :claps:

and then I had to get a bigger vehicle:

to tow the motorcycle!  mad1

Seems as though the bike is just not wanting to cooperate with me. Luckily I've found a new shop to work on both my street and dirt needs! And they even came and picked me up!

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
what's wrong with the bike

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »
HELLO BUGTUSSLE,

The factory spec for the front tire is 110/80-18. This tire is 110/90-19.

What size is the front tire your running there? It looks a little oversized, I like the look....

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
HELLO RUBO,

The bike just decided that me not riding it enough, the hawk was going to punish me. Punish me well and punish me it did!

With my quick and easy trip to the Post Office to retrieve a package, I can only assume it was so short, it didn't give the bike time to juice the battery, because I went right back home to drop off the package and hop back on the bike and head to the motorcycle shop that is also a very short trip as it is less than five miles away. I knew the battery was on its last leg as the bike barely started so I knew I would have to add in some extra riding to get the battery charged. I didn't even make it… in one shot.

As I was going down the road, the bike just started slowing down, almost like it was running out of gas, but I knew I had plenty.  whaaaat3
It just died and I barely made it up a little hill that would have required a tow service. Luckily,  I only had to cross over a merge lane. Once over to the side, I knew I was fairly close and I just pushed my bike up onto the sidewalk and started pushing it. Nothing like pushing a gas burning combustion engine in one of the most prestigious car flashing intersections of all of Newport Beach, California! But hey, I had time on my hands and who cares what people think! So I push on to the auto parts store.  fans1

Time to buy a new battery. Just, not my first choice of battery: :'(
I would rather do some type of battery upgrade vs a stock replacement.

But you've heard the phrase, beggars can't be choosy. The new battery did put me back on the road. The funniest part of this whole "experience" is that a guy who came into the store saw my bike sitting outside and said, "Don't ever get rid of that bike!" and preceded to tell me about his buddies shop. I took down the number and address as I was in the market for a new shop and thought I would go visit him and see if he knew his stuff about carb tuning. With the bike being dead from 4k-6.5k RPM, I knew the carbs needed rebuilding. 

After getting the bike put back together in the auto parts parking lot, I hop over to the shop to chef them out. Come to find out, they use to be with a well known shop but a big conglomerate in coming in and buying up all the dealerships and they wanted no part of it. Thus they started their own small shop. I'm already a fan and now a super-fan as they do both street and dirt bike work! Yes, I have both and can get quality service for both under one roof! We made plans for to have my bike come in after a couple of weeks as they are booked and wanted to thin some stuff out of the shop. After our meeting and talking shop, I hop back on the bike to head home only to make it half way! I was almost crushed at that moment! My first thought was to push it home, at least a mile away.  :(
I push it onto the sideway and make a phone call.

I called the shop I just visiting, thinking man, I'm about to put these guys to the test that I had no intentions of doing so!

Mind you, it's Saturday around 3:45pm.

They give me a number to their tow truck guy who hauls bikes for them. he is booked. he gives me another number, he can, but it will be 6'ish before he can get me. I call the shop back and they said they would just come get me!  yaaaah3 HOT WOW!
OK, these guys are getting all  my business! Any shop that comes and personally rescues you, they deserve all your business!

So there you have it, aside from the battery, the carbs needed a full service due to gummed up carbs as California's gas it the worst in the country! We have more detergent than fuel in our gasoline! And I know the routine, either ride your bike or store properly. This is what happens when you have too many hobbies and toys!!!

what's wrong with the bike

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »

The old chain was just shot! It had a sever tight spot in the chain that was annoying as well!
Finally got around to getting new bits for the bike!

I replaced the front counter sprocket and the rear sprocket along with updating
the chain with the DID ZVM-X 525 Super Street Chain.

Replaced the old rusty looking shocks and springs with these blacked out
Progressive Suspension  12 SERIES MAGNUM SHOCKS & SPRINGS.

We discovered that the air intake horns had cracks and was also apart of the carb issue.
While we were getting after the carbs, the gas tank needed to come off, those when the fuel valve got turned off, the gaskets went crusty!
The factory unit is $200 to replace! So we opted for the PINGEL unit! Its not auto-on/off like the factory one, but the PINGEL is trick looking! 

We almost made the black version work, but wound up having to go with the polished version due to fit specifications.

If I'm going to do service work, it may as well be an upgrade! Right? !!!

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »
Its not auto-on/off like the factory one

I'm curious what you mean by this? Have you just been leaving the fuel on ON?

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 09:10:44 PM »
Nice additions gc.  Progressives will make it ride smooth and the DID x ring chain lasts a long time.  Mine is approaching 20,000. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
The factory unit is some type of vacuum-operated petcock. Not sure what all that means, but mine was trash and why not put on a shiny new part that is drag race approved.
Its not auto-on/off like the factory one

Offline GCRad1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »

I've been commuting on the bike every day so the bike is getting used!

And for some fun runs as well!

FINALLY! Finally getting around to opening the box! 

I received the box back in April and finally opened it up today and checking it out!

Ordered this RC42 EU tank for the US-spec 750 Nighthawk. Has a couple of small dents, but that can be fixable.
This RC42 tank is a 5-gallon tank vs the stock 3-gallon tank. Lets see if it will actually work?!

Easy enough to remove; one bolt at the back of the tank, remove fuel line, slide off!

On the "new" tank you can easily spot the dent behind my finger and an ever so slight one I'm pointing at.

Gave it a quick test fit and this is totally going to work! The side panels will need a little modification, but we will sort that when we get there. The tank will come back off and go out to a buddy who does dent removal. Then off to paint. I have to source a fuel cap and the rubber bit that cushions the rear bolt.

Offline draco_1967

• View Profile
  • Bike: NC700X
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Awesome! I love the look of the Euro spec Nighthawk, especially the RWB colors.

Offline Sid

• View Profile
  • Bike: 99 Nighthawk
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
Agree the RC42 tank looks great. What are the concerns with the side covers you mentioned and were you able to complete the conversion?

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
I wonder what happened to gcrad1?  He had a good looking bike going on.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »

I always leave mine on.  That's the purpose of the vacuum operation.

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved