Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tires  (Read 1861 times)

Offline tomb raider

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 85 - 700s
Tires
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:11:50 AM »
I will NEVER do my own tires again. Installing the new rear I killed it, broke the bead wires. Pumped it up to see what would happen. It popped off the rim. Didn't save a penny on this Adventure.

Jimbo

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
Wow, breaking the bead wire takes quiet a bit of force.  You should of heard some "stop that" noises before it happened.  What was your method for spooning them over?  The ratchet belt method has been good to me.  Even if you don't want to spoon your tires anymore, around here taking the wheels off the bike and removing the old tire saves you a bit of money at the shop.

Offline tomb raider

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:25:11 AM »
Have good irons and that rear just didn't want to go on the little bit.
Jimbo

Offline tomb raider

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
Here's why I killed that new tire. I let it grab the bead and it locked down. You gota make it run into the center of the rim so as you work it on it has give or slack. I didn't, and game over.  I went to the shop, they had (1) and gave me a brake on the shop charge. Added some new brake's too.  Power wheelie's...   bkr3
Jimbo

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Thats what the ratchet belt helps with.  Holds the beads together and keeps it up off the bottom.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
Where can I find a description of the ratchet belt method?  I've been working on getting my tires changed out.  Starting with the rear, and after about 2 hours of work, finally got the tire off.  Spent about another hour tonight trying to get the new tire on, but it's just not working.  Thinking about throwing in the towel and taking it in to the shop to get mounted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline AHenry014

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB700sc
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:31 AM »
This is why i am so happy to have a tire machine in my garage.  If anyone is local to 06335, SE CT, i would be more than happy to replace tires for you in trade for some beer.  cheers3 

I only ever spooned a tire off a car wheel, and it was awful.  Spooning tires seems to be a bit of an art.  A guy i work with has nearly 100k on his Kawi Concourse and has had it since new.  You can imagine how many tires hes been through.  He says once you get the technique down the hardest part is the balancing.  Save your arms and time and take the wheels off the bike and to a motorcycle shop.  I cant see them charging more than 40-50 to strip the current tires and mount the new ones, and may even balance them for you for that.  Junk one bead and youre out more than double, triple, or even more than that. 
-Alex

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '84 CB700S
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
I cant see them charging more than 40-50 to strip the current tires and mount the new ones, and may even balance them for you for that.

Double that near me, IF you can find anyone willing to do it with tyres that you don't buy from them.
That's why I decided to try mounting my own.
made of meat

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
The FJR guys have a Tech Day twice a year near me.  Someone always brings a tire changer and they usually do a handful of them.  I let them do it if the timing works out.  I just have the tires shipped to the host's house ahead of time.  Otherwise, the dealer will do it or another bike shop also does it for a reasonable price.  I think it's $50 a tire.

Offline AHenry014

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB700sc
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
wow i would be blown away if i got a bill for over 100 bucks. I suppose if they take the wheels off the bike then i think that may be warranted. 
-Alex

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:34:18 AM »
50 bucks a tire usual.  Remove, install dispose of old and the critical part, balancing.  Standard shop rate.  Canadian dollars.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 06:02:29 AM »
Aycaramba-Do a search on youtube.  Once you learn how to do your own it is not that hard to do.   
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 06:10:19 AM »
Maybe I'll try on the front tire, which is next.  Got the rear on halfway, and couldn't get the other half spooned on.  After an hour of cursing and sweating, I gave up and took it into a shop yesterday.  Only charged $28 to finish the job.

I figure I'll give the front tire the old college try, and use that shop as my backup.

I should note that, as I've been warned, breaking the bead was tough.  Got one side broken with (again) lots of cursing and sweat using a traditional hand-held bead breaker.  Couldn't budge the other side.  I finally resorted to using the 2x4 method, with my car frame as a pivot.  Really easy.  That will be my preferred method in the future.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
I think I invented some new curse words in my early efforts at tire changing.  Did you find a good tutorial on youtube?   
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Haven't looked yet, but it probably won't be hard to find.

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »
Where can I find a description of the ratchet belt method?  I've been working on getting my tires changed out.  Starting with the rear, and after about 2 hours of work, finally got the tire off.  Spent about another hour tonight trying to get the new tire on, but it's just not working.  Thinking about throwing in the towel and taking it in to the shop to get mounted.

Ahh I just did a set.  I would of taken pictures.  Basically you get 2 continuos ratchet belts, no hooks. Some guys use big zip ties but I like my method better.  I like to loop the straps around the tire but not tighten them down until I have that side over.  Once I have both beads over the rim on 1 side I tighten down the straps which gives slack to get the other side over.  Windex for lube and cut up shampoo bottles for rim protectors.  If you don't want to deal with balancing it, dyna beads work fine.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »

Ahh I just did a set.  I would of taken pictures.  Basically you get 2 continuos ratchet belts, no hooks. Some guys use big zip ties but I like my method better.  I like to loop the straps around the tire but not tighten them down until I have that side over.  Once I have both beads over the rim on 1 side I tighten down the straps which gives slack to get the other side over.  Windex for lube and cut up shampoo bottles for rim protectors.  If you don't want to deal with balancing it, dyna beads work fine.

Pictures would've been great.  Having a hard time picturing it.  Only vids I find on YouTube involve using the ratchet strap to help seat the bead.  I did see a video on using the zip ties, and I might try that.

Or I may get impatient and just have the local shop do it for $35.

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »
Google 'Zip tie tire changing'. There are multiple versions out there.

Here are few of them :

Removal:
ebc=ANyPxKqApDJiZtPutSkmPo_Gaaq1nPXQ5vHg9GsylxnlcVrFEW_-PlWVv2G9XmtuM41ge53zQOkgSATDhF8N949u-7T8kcoAnA

Installation:

Spray Windex and push it down. Bingo!

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
I don't do it that way.  That installation video never works with our bias ply tires.  You will need spoons.  Let me try again to explain it. Assuming you have the old tire off.  If you are going to balance it you will need to balance the rim, aka mark the heavy spot.  Take 2-3 ratchet belts and just put them between the tire and the rim.  Now slide 1 bead over the rim.  Now put a strap at 8-7 o'clock, 4-5 o'clock and if you want 3 straps put the last 1 at 6 o'clock.  Sometimes I tighten the straps now, sometimes I wait till I have the 2nd bead over to about 9 and 3 o'clock.  The trick is to have that 6 o'clock side high on the rim.  Its takin me many, many attempts to get a method that I like and works on many different machines.  Atv tires I only need 1 strap.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved