Username: Password:

Poll

Loud Pipes...

...save lives!
3 (5.1%)
...are a necessary part of my safe riding strategy because I'm invisible on the road.
4 (6.8%)
...don't bother me at all.
16 (27.1%)
...should be regulated with sound meters.
5 (8.5%)
...are annoying, juvenile, wake up people, and give motorcyclists a bad name!
31 (52.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Loud Pipes  (Read 4570 times)

Offline DHBirren2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 NH 750
Loud Pipes
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
This is just a poll to gauge opinion, not to start a flame war. It's designed for you, the reader, to chose your place on the loud pipes controversy spectrum.

You may change your vote.

Thanks!
1980 CB750 Custom
1993 CB750SC
MSF Rider Coach

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: Loud Pipes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
 I say regulated but within reason. I have a couple of friends with Harleys with straight pipes and even riding with them a short distance behind or in front is a real bummer. I cant hear my own engine and its totally distracting.

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »
Loud pipes, just say no.

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
  • Bike: 85 CB650SC
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »
Loud pipes are annoying, in bad taste, and not really noticeable to car drivers who aren't immediately behind.

Like brodozer lifts, drop-in HID headlights, cars using high beams when they should have low beams on, left lane camping, etc, loud pipes are already covered by existing vehicle codes almost anywhere. The problem is that, like those other vehicular annoyances, police do not effectively enforce statutes against loud pipes - likely because enforcing speeding laws and other traffic violations are favored in the name of greater revenue over fix-it tickets.

Offline AHenry014

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB700sc
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
I dont mind an aftermarket exhaust on a bike, but the loudness needs to be within reason.  Most Harleys i hear are far too loud, and i dont care for the way they sound with pipes, but thats just me.  Most of the bikes i owned either had an aftermarket exhaust, or i really wanted one.  There is something to say about being seen, but most of the situations where being heard before being seen requires an exhaust far too loud to comfortably ride the bike anywhere. 
-Alex

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »
Loud pipes = attention seekers. My NH750 speaks (softly) for itself with no need for "look at me" pipes. I wouldn't mind some Vance pipes just for the performance increase and a bit louder but, I have to say baffle removers and Harley throttle pumpers idiots are laughable. Not every Harley owner is a throttle pumper but, in my experience, 99% are.

Where I am from every guy on a loud bike wears Harley gear or black, pumps the throttle for more noise and generally just looks like a fool. "Bikers" just ain't what they used to be.

Offline jimmycorp

• View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 05:31:05 AM »
Loudness within reason. I've installed a cherry bomb exhaust on my ninja 650.

Sounds fantastic, deep and throaty, and being in California, drivers always hear me and give me room to lane split.

Doesn't happen so much on the nighthawk with the vance&hines exhaust.

Must be the tone, high pitch 4cylinder versus p-twin burble.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »
Shrug,  Not only do I think it is obnoxious, but usually makes the engine sound and run like crap.  Mine with more open mufflers, was a fight to get tuned right.  Only reason they are is because it was the only affordable way to keep the 4-4.

Nope, function first.  Loud pipes are not function usually so is just attention grabber.  Straight pipes and header dumps?   bh1

Offline DHBirren2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 NH 750
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
Shrug,  Not only do I think it is obnoxious, but usually makes the engine sound and run like crap.  Mine with more open mufflers, was a fight to get tuned right.  Only reason they are is because it was the only affordable way to keep the 4-4.

I recently argued with someone on FB who said something like "you don't need backpressure on these small engines."

Oh yeah you do.
1980 CB750 Custom
1993 CB750SC
MSF Rider Coach

Offline dieselguy625

• View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB750SC
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »
My 82 750 was really loud when I bought it. I rode it for a while like that and then it started to get annoying. So, I pulled out the baffle only to find it was crinkled up, in 2 pieces and had no packing. I tried fixing it but it was to badly damaged so I ordered a new baffle (it's a 4 into 1 system) and some packing. MUCH better! I don't get a headache from the noise and the sound is only louder when you get on it.

Offline Wolfos31

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
I think the problem with exhausts are way too many people equate loud = good.

For me tone = good, or more accurately I want an exhaust that delivers a distinctive exhaust note and sounds different across the rev range. I haven't yet found a reason to replace my stock exhaust with something that's going to cost me a lot of money for little discernible benefit.

I absolutely hate when people put cherry bomb exhaust on their beat to hell 90's Honda Civic. So loud you can't speak when one drives by and I have never once been with someone who said "I like that person's car/exhaust." Usually it's just the opposite. I struggle to understand what people see in being pointlessly loud.

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
I really didn't mind the stock NH exhaust, but I soon noticed cars did not hear me, ever, especially when I was in there blind spot. I pulled my baffles out and immediately noticed a difference in cars noticing me. I say some noise is good for safety reasons, but it can get too loud and obnoxious very quickly
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
Loud pipes can range from a minor annoyance to a major pain in the ass... I have the Buell race kit on my Cyclone which includes the race header and muffler. I don't ride without earplugs, or I really regret it. I ride with the plugs on the Nighthawk on occasion or longer rides for wind noise relief, but I don't HAVE to. I don't see where "loud pipes save lives"; loud pipes give me a headache, tinnitus and temporary or permanent hearing loss.
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Johna136

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Nighthawk
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Not a fan of loud pipes
48 Indian 65 Honda 305 72 Suzuki 250
80 KZ 440LTD

Offline MrBill

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1995 Nighthawk
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
Some years ago, I stopped at a gas station / deli for some food and a fill up.  As I was exiting the deli, 6 HD riders were completing their fill up and preparing to leave.  They all had straight pipes and made a point of pumping them multiple times (to prove they were running I guess), and then roared away while the rest of us remaining in the vicinity tried to get our teeth to stop rattling and our "fight or flight" senses calmed down.

I rolled my bike (a Honda ST1300 at that time) up to the pump and asked the attendant (In NJ they actually have such tings), if he would fill up the tank with NOISE- since it seems apparent that that is what the HD's run on.   scheet2

1995 Honda Nighthawk 750
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
Some years ago, I stopped at a gas station / deli for some food and a fill up.  As I was exiting the deli, 6 HD riders were completing their fill up and preparing to leave.  They all had straight pipes and made a point of pumping them multiple times (to prove they were running I guess), and then roared away while the rest of us remaining in the vicinity tried to get our teeth to stop rattling and our "fight or flight" senses calmed down.

I rolled my bike (a Honda ST1300 at that time) up to the pump and asked the attendant (In NJ they actually have such tings), if he would fill up the tank with NOISE- since it seems apparent that that is what the HD's run on.   scheet2
llaugh1 oh that's a good one!
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Loved it MrBill
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline monvi3

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 cb750
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »
Harley Davidson Motorcycles: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower........relax, just a joke!  haphap

Offline dkruitz

• View Profile
  • Bike: '95 ST1100
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »
I had a co-worker use the loud pipes save lives comment on me, and then I asked him where his helmet was....   Seems he forgot that important aspect.

Offline John R. Mallory

• View Profile
  • Bike: NH
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
Loud pipes save lives--just kidding. Makes little difference on the freeway.

I liked my holey pipes, the Brrrapp they made. But, engine did not run as well. Hadda fix 'em. I was running rich--soot in exhausts but No blue pipes--now, with holes fixed, my plugs read normal.

I agree about Straight Pipes:  An H/D XLCH was just ahead of me and he was So Loud at even idle. Even  had that ugly fiberglas wrapping on them.  (An XLCH is only happa Harley, anyway, I had one. Get an FLH.)  Too much...

Was musing  yesterday that, perhaps,  loud pipes are like a .44 magnum: They make up for small peters? What about  a Maxim Gun?  Several small ones?

Still, would like  to replace w/some Less-restrictives.

BTW, Harleys aren't loud out of the box. Most guys run a piece of rebar down the mufflers to make them sound that way. There are dB standards on all factory made.
--

Offline John R. Mallory

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
"I absolutely hate when people put cherry bomb exhaust on their beat to hell 90's Honda Civic. So loud you can't speak when one drives by and I have never once been with someone who said "I like that person's car/exhaust." Usually it's just the opposite. I struggle to understand what people see in being pointlessly loud"

Yeah, some guy in a Civic w/a pansy spoiler cut me off on the freeway entrance. I beeped, just one, real short one to let him know I was there.

Next thing I knew, he had to try to catch up to me. His car sounded like an angry bee with those pipes.  Real Cool..

Meanwhile, I dropped a gear and blew him off--BRRRRAAPPP!

Now,  he just Has  flip me off.  Because I was faster?  Real Cool...

And I was going to a Church on the Streets volunteer induction session. To help idiots like him,  when they lose everything...

Foolish to intimidate road rage these days. He didn't know if I had a gun or not. If he had one I'd kick it out of his hands. Then he'd go to Florence for a few years. He can rot there and  muse: Was it worth it? To be Cool?...

"I really didn't mind the stock NH exhaust, but I soon noticed cars did not hear me, ever, especially when I was in there blind spot. I pulled my baffles out and immediately noticed a difference in cars noticing me. I say some noise is good for safety reasons, but it can get too loud and obnoxious very quickly "

Yes, true. I miss my holey pipes. I found, if I could hear them, so could everyone else. My stockers make me sound like a Whiz--Whizz....  I can hear every gear noise but no real exhaust not. Kinda sick.
--

Offline dkruitz

• View Profile
  • Bike: '95 ST1100
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
I once asked a fellow about his loud exhaust - I asked if that was a "Politician exhaust?"   He wasn't sure what I meant, so I added "makes a lot of noise, doesn't really do anything!"

Offline John R. Mallory

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
 I once asked a fellow about his loud exhaust - I asked if that was a "Politician exhaust?"   He wasn't sure what I meant, so I added "makes a lot of noise, doesn't really do anything"

Politically Correct :claps:
--

Offline Dindindin

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 700sc
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 06:52:13 AM »
'Ere in old blighty, we have a craze on at the moment....when some chav with a car is broadcasting council fm( club music) real loud we all pull up in front of him at the lights and get off our bikes and dance around his piece of crap civic. ( the choice of tosspots ...also the vauxhaul corsa). We dont have guns here..

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
I had the 4-1 SuperTrapp on the 96.  A little louder, but sounded great.  On my 98 Valk, it had the 6-6 exhaust - even with the baffles in it was louder than I liked.  Sounded like an old hot rod, but still, it was a bit much.  My current Voyager12 is very quiet, but it has a stereo system on it.  I used it a couple times, but I have to have the volume so high , I know it's got to be irritating.  So, I'm thinking I'll just remove the whole system when I pull the bike in for work this spring.

Just don't care for overly loud bikes or cars, and I don't think they're a safety device.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved