Username: Password:

Author Topic: Brrr, where is the summer? Froze today  (Read 466 times)

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
Brrr, where is the summer? Froze today
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:07:55 PM »
Last week I had a chance to visit Lake Geneva (I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago) but ran out of time.  Today was a day to check out Snake Road in that area - more of an excuse to go riding, the road itself is probably 2 miles tops with loose gravel in places and wet from all the rain we had been having.  Anyway, Aycaramba lives along the way so we drove up through whatever twisties and scenic roads we could take.  When it's 40 degrees out, you can wear layers everywhere but it's not what one would call cozy.  Coffee stop in Fontana on the western edge of the lake did the trick along with Walgreens, Burger King, basically stops every 25 miles because my hands would start freezing and going numb no sooner we would get going.  I was jealous of the hippo gloves Aycaramba was wielding, time for me to look them up on fleebay.

I have majority of the route in the GPX format as I have started to play around with a few apps on my phone.  It appears OSMand is the way to go but I don't have it.  Alternatives I have found are GPX Viewer, GPX Navigator Recorder etc.  I wish there was a way to import these GPX files into common GPS programs like Here Maps, Waze or Google Maps - there isn't.  Turn by turn direction seems to be missing.  Anyway, I'll start up another thread in the appropriate section once I figure some of this out - suggestions welcome.

Once we headed in our separate directions, I decided to jump on the interstate.  I was glad I have a Windshield because I took out a bird (I think it was a wobbler) on the right edge - poor thing almost avoided me and I did the best I could without going crazy.  I wonder if I would have flinched if it hit me in the chest or my helmet instead potentially causing a wipeout at 70MPH.  Scary.

Always fun to hang out with fellow Nighthawks  cheers3

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
Re: Brrr, where is the summer? Froze today
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 12:25:03 AM »
I feel your pain. I live in Grand Blanc Michigan and it's supposed to snow here tonight.  viol

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 650
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:46:37 AM »
There's a chance of snow flurries here in Quebec too. It's 2°C (35°F) here right now.
 I put a Slip Streamer S-06 windshield on yesterday. It helps with the bugs on the helmet visor and I'll have to watch my speed. I never thought of it deflecting birds!

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Homefoesale2, glad you didn't have to find out whether a bird strike on your person would cause control problems.  I've had close calls, but no strikes yet (knocks wood).

It was a good, if cold ride.  Coming outside after lunch to snow flurries did not put me in a happy place.  Took me a while to warm back up after getting home, but it was still worth it.  I rarely have time on the weekends to go for an extended ride, so I was grateful for the opportunity.

And by the way, though Snake Road in Lake Geneva is a short ride and lined with driveways, it was still great fun at 35 mph.  Highly recommended if you're ever in the area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved