Username: Password:

Author Topic: I ain't no fair weather rider!  (Read 798 times)

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
I ain't no fair weather rider!
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »
Maybe it's because I've been away from motorcycles for so long or maybe I'm just nuts but, I find myself riding, happily I might add, in rain and temps in the 50's. Long Johns, gloves, full face helmet and layers under the leather and I'm good to go. Someday I'll be able to invest in proper all weather riding gear but, I don't mind the makeshift "it'll do" gear I'm using now.

Anyone else like riding as much or are as crazy as me? I do prefer warm dry weather but, I'm not letting this Michigan "Mayvember" stop me. It's rather fun seeing the shocked car drivers looking at intersections  haphap

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
Re: I ain't no fair weather rider!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
Same here.  I'll ride in temps as low as the upper 30s on 20 mile commute.  I'll usually avoid rainy days if I can, but some Frogg Toggs are inexpensive and relatively effective the the occasional rainstorm.  My 40 year old Vetter Hippo Hands have been a Godsend this spring.  Keeps those hands pretty warm without having to put on three sets of gloves.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
Same here.  I'll ride in temps as low as the upper 30s on 20 mile commute.  I'll usually avoid rainy days if I can, but some Frogg Toggs are inexpensive and relatively effective the the occasional rainstorm.  My 40 year old Vetter Hippo Hands have been a Godsend this spring.  Keeps those hands pretty warm without having to put on three sets of gloves.

I'll have to look into a set of those Hippos'

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »
I come from a country where it rains an awful lot of the time.  Think PNW rainfall and you're close.  In places they measure the annual in metres per year.  So wet weather riding is just something you grow up with, especially if you crack the block on your car on the very day that you get your bike running so the bike is your only mode of transport for the better part of a year.
That said, I still prefer dry roads over slippery wet ones, and the added visibility is nice.
made of meat

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
I come from a country where it rains an awful lot of the time.  Think PNW rainfall and you're close.  In places they measure the annual in metres per year.  So wet weather riding is just something you grow up with, especially if you crack the block on your car on the very day that you get your bike running so the bike is your only mode of transport for the better part of a year.
That said, I still prefer dry roads over slippery wet ones, and the added visibility is nice.

I feel your pain. I too prefer warm dry days for riding, those are few and far between in my neck of the woods. Motorcycles, the closes an ordinary man can come to being able to fly.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
When I returned to riding in 2003 after almost 30 years of not having a bike I would ride in almost any weather.  13 years back on 2 wheels and I still love riding, but don't ride in wet or cold if I can help it.  We are having a warm but wet Spring so occasionally get caught in a surprise shower, but I either wait it out or don the rain gear and proceed a bit slower.  I certainly understand Solo's enthusiasm after a long time away from motorcycles.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
My commute has gone from a 100 mile round trip to a 6 mile round trip.  As such, the bar of weather criteria has gone up.  I'll still take the bike, but I'm much pickier about when I do.  I have it today since I have some running around town to do at lunch and after work.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
So, with a shorter commute, you're more picky about the weather you'll ride in?  Seems opposite of what I would have thought.  But then again, who wants to put on layers of cold weather or rain gear for 5-10 minutes on the bike?  So maybe that does make sense.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved