Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any experience with the GL500 Silverwing?  (Read 874 times)

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
Any experience with the GL500 Silverwing?
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »
A friend has too many project bikes/cars going, and is willing to let me have his 82 GL500 Silverwing. You know, cuz I need another something. And it seems different enough from the NH to give me plenty new things to learn (shaft drive, v-twin, liquid cooled). Anyone have any experience with this bike?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5XdftCGlJH8WFF3bGtCOXNxOXRyTVhQVl9sUVZybFRrVjVN

Offline steevensi

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 NH 650
Re: Any experience with the GL500 Silverwing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
It is the GL serie small brother.
They share some parts as the wheels.  The idea is the same but on a smaller scale than the goldwing.
Of course the engine is different.

I don't know much more but the internet is full of ressources.
The website I'm the most often on has a section just for them!  Here is a link.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

An another link for specs.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_gl500_silver_wing%2082.htm

I also have been contempleting one, but I got to many bikes right now...says my girlfriend.

Offline steevensi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
Get it and do this.
Are you still in front of your screen?  Come on, go get it!

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
I had an '81 CX, which was the forerunner to the GL/Silver Wing.  It's a nice little bike, definitely different from your NH.  I think the Pro-Link is an improvement over the dual rear shocks.  The transverse mounting of the engine and rotational forces that develop as a result of the counter-rotating crankshaft and driveshaft mean that there's an interesting little shimmy that happens when you suddenly decelerate from highway speeds.  The placement of the cylinder heads also means that you ride in a nice little bubble of warmth -- except for your hands.

Watch for breakdown of the ignition circuit.  The inductors are inside the engine casing and the insulation gets affected by the heat.  Splitting the engine and replacing the part is the only solution.  They're also known to be a little hard on the carbon-ceramic water pump seal at the front end of the camshaft, especially if they have been sitting for a while.  The cam chain tensioner assembly is a known weak point but there are solutions to that readily available.

Thankfully, the engine is not at all difficult to work on.  (A hint -- a beer crate fits perfectly under the engine, and then it's like 6 bolts before you can lift the frame completely clear.)  I got to the point where I could remove it and have both heads off in less than 45 minutes from being ridden.
made of meat

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
Ack! I know cafe is all about minimalism, but I need a seat myself! poke1

And it's already on its way

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
I had an '81 CX, which was the forerunner to the GL/Silver Wing.  It's a nice little bike, definitely different from your NH.  I think the Pro-Link is an improvement over the dual rear shocks.  The transverse mounting of the engine and rotational forces that develop as a result of the counter-rotating crankshaft and driveshaft mean that there's an interesting little shimmy that happens when you suddenly decelerate from highway speeds.  The placement of the cylinder heads also means that you ride in a nice little bubble of warmth -- except for your hands.

Watch for breakdown of the ignition circuit.  The inductors are inside the engine casing and the insulation gets affected by the heat.  Splitting the engine and replacing the part is the only solution.  They're also known to be a little hard on the carbon-ceramic water pump seal at the front end of the camshaft, especially if they have been sitting for a while.  The cam chain tensioner assembly is a known weak point but there are solutions to that readily available.

Thankfully, the engine is not at all difficult to work on.  (A hint -- a beer crate fits perfectly under the engine, and then it's like 6 bolts before you can lift the frame completely clear.)  I got to the point where I could remove it and have both heads off in less than 45 minutes from being ridden.

Thanks, mollusc. Just what I was looking for. Is there a bike you haven't had?

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
Actually, those are the only two that I've owned personally!  But I've ridden many other beasts, mostly on farms and off-road.
made of meat

Offline Crashwny

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:23:53 PM »
I had a silver wing 650 and loved it. One year newer.

Offline steevensi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 05:49:43 AM »
Ack! I know cafe is all about minimalism, but I need a seat myself! poke1

And it's already on its way

LOL.
Well obliviously, the seat is missing. 
It's a project bike and the picture I pasted is probably at a stage when the seat was being made.
Me too love that sit a a proposer seat.
lol.

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved