Username: Password:

Author Topic: Finally got a decent trip in  (Read 745 times)

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nIGHTHAWK
Finally got a decent trip in
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »
I rode to my oldests son's graduation this weekend, about 200 miles. The old 91 NH750 worked like a charm.

I took M-21 out of Flint to close to Lowell, 96 to 6 to bypass Grand Rapids and shot down 196 to South Haven where I went the back roads to my destination. On the way home I hit 94 to 69 all the way home. The old girl handled the highway really well. Average MPG was 52  nice1

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: Finally got a decent trip in
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
Not sure I would have taken M-21 all the way to Lowell since it is about as straight as a road gets and plenty of small little towns to slow you down.  But I get being unsure of your bike on the freeway.

I-94 tends to be cluttered with semi's.  They're all trying to avoid the tolls of I-80.  As such, I-94 tends to be rough with heavy traffic.  Have to be on your game there.   I-69 is usually a breeze though.  Sadly in Michigan, the freeways are about as twisty as the roads get.  200 miles is a good size day, glad it worked out for you.

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
Not sure I would have taken M-21 all the way to Lowell since it is about as straight as a road gets and plenty of small little towns to slow you down.  But I get being unsure of your bike on the freeway.

I-94 tends to be cluttered with semi's.  They're all trying to avoid the tolls of I-80.  As such, I-94 tends to be rough with heavy traffic.  Have to be on your game there.   I-69 is usually a breeze though.  Sadly in Michigan, the freeways are about as twisty as the roads get.  200 miles is a good size day, glad it worked out for you.

I took 21 just for the small towns to be honest, I kinda likes going slow and looking around. I've made the trip from the flint area to southwest Michigan, literally, hundreds of times, in a car. It was nice doing it again, last time was 30 years ago, on a bike. Michigan really has crappy roads and not much for curves, anywhere, really.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
I only owned a 750 for a few months but really enjoyed it's interstate manners. There are a few twisty spots in Michigan, DF gave us a good tour last year.

Offline SoloVoyage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
Did this trip again only this time I took 69-94-131-43 both ways. The old girl keeps on trucking!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved