Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sports Touring Bike?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Sports Touring Bike?
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:02:02 PM »
I've been describing my 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750 as a "Sports Touring Bike." Can't recall where I'd picked that description up, but regardless...is it accurate to say so, or have I misspoken?
Every day is a gift.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: Sports Touring Bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
You've misspoken.

The Nighthawk is what most would call a Standard.  It's a basic, upright riding position, no frills, reliable machine.  It does everything well, but nothing great.

Most sport-tourers are larger, carry hard luggage, and have longer fuel range.  There are some small ones that are in the 700-900cc class, but not many.  Most are shaft drive and have some frills.  Yamaha FJR1300 Kawasaki Concours, Honda ST, and many BMWs are examples of what typical sport-touring bikes are.

And that's not knocking your Nighthawk.  I think the Nighthawk is the definition of a Standard bike and that's a class isn't manufactured much anymore.  Ride it like a sport-tourer if

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »
Interesting. If I added a fairing, hard cases, etc., would it then be considered a sports touring bike...or just a standard with some sports touring accessories?
Every day is a gift.

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
  • Bike: Late model 750
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:47:05 AM »
I consider mine as an ST.
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:01 AM »
And my 96 as well.
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 05:29:26 AM »
@n5tbu, those are both great looking NH's with sweet ST setups. I'm looking into various hard case/pannier options now.

Who makes your's and how are they mounted?

I contacted Givi, etc., and it seems many NH mounts have been discontinued...and are therefore challenging to find nowadays, apparently.

(In the meantime, I've scored  a set of used Kawasaki throw over soft cases/saddle bags, for $20).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 05:57:02 AM »
Interesting. If I added a fairing, hard cases, etc., would it then be considered a sports touring bike...or just a standard with some sports touring accessories?

I think DesignFlaw hit upon a point that is pretty intrinsic to the bike, which is the tank range.  Tourers tend to be able to go long distances between fill-ups, whereas the Nighthawk struggles to reach the high 100s.  I can put all the bags and luggage I want on my 700S, but it's not going to do more than 130 before I have to stop.  (I can be certain of this, having recently done my longest-ever tank with my best-ever mpg.)
made of meat

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »

I think DesignFlaw hit upon a point that is pretty intrinsic to the bike, which is the tank range.  Tourers tend to be able to go long distances between fill-ups, whereas the Nighthawk struggles to reach the high 100s.  I can put all the bags and luggage I want on my 700S, but it's not going to do more than 130 before I have to stop.  (I can be certain of this, having recently done my longest-ever tank with my best-ever mpg.)

Good to know, @mollusc & @DesignFlaw06.

Any work arounds? I know I've seen a few folks bungee 2 ½ gallon fuel containers onto their Hondaline luggage carrier (presumably full), but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons, in that particular scenario.

Every day is a gift.

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 06:09:32 AM »
Two and a half gallons is almost the entire capacity of my tank!  I'm sure you could stash a bottle somewhere convenient if you really needed to as an "emergency fund."
made of meat

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 06:48:57 AM »

I see your point.  But if you put hard bags, a windshield, hard luggage, etc. on a Harley Sportster, would that be considered a sport-tourer?  There's really another term I think that needs to be defined.  Lightweight-tourer? Is it a definition that is only derived from the stock bike?  In fairness, sport-touring is a rather vague term and therefore open to interpretation.  I guess I look at the Nigthawk and think it's neither a sport bike or a touring bike, so how could it be classified as a sport-tourer?  Maybe I'm too literal.  The evolution of accessories and aftermarket parts have closed the gap between the distinctions.

There are certainly things you can do to make your bike more suited for long distance rides.  Fuel range isn't really one of them.  One guy took the pillion seat and built a custom auxiliary tank that was plumbed into his existing fuel line.  The thing was butt ugly, but it didn't require a stop to add more fuel in.  It was more like a reserve switch.  Carrying an extra can of gas still requires a stop and at that point, it's just as easy to find another gas station. 

I'm not saying any of this to be an elitist because I ride a sport-touring bike.  Your avatar suggests a a stock Standard bike.  I would caution you though.  Eventually with either time, effort, and/or money, you reach the tipping point where you're trying to turn your bike into something its not when the economical thing to do is start with a different bike.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

I see your point.  But if you put hard bags, a windshield, hard luggage, etc. on a Harley Sportster, would that be considered a sport-tourer?  There's really another term I think that needs to be defined.  Lightweight-tourer? Is it a definition that is only derived from the stock bike?  In fairness, sport-touring is a rather vague term and therefore open to interpretation.  I guess I look at the Nigthawk and think it's neither a sport bike or a touring bike, so how could it be classified as a sport-tourer?  Maybe I'm too literal.  The evolution of accessories and aftermarket parts have closed the gap between the distinctions.

There are certainly things you can do to make your bike more suited for long distance rides.  Fuel range isn't really one of them.  One guy took the pillion seat and built a custom auxiliary tank that was plumbed into his existing fuel line.  The thing was butt ugly, but it didn't require a stop to add more fuel in.  It was more like a reserve switch.  Carrying an extra can of gas still requires a stop and at that point, it's just as easy to find another gas station. 

I'm not saying any of this to be an elitist because I ride a sport-touring bike.  Your avatar suggests a a stock Standard bike.  I would caution you though.  Eventually with either time, effort, and/or money, you reach the tipping point where you're trying to turn your bike into something its not when the economical thing to do is start with a different bike.

Thanks @DesignFlaw06, you make some excellent points and I appreciate your honest perspective. I'll refer to my mostly OEM (new-to-me) '92 NH CB750 as a "Standard" for now...with some "Light-Tourer" aspirations.  ridn2

While I've added a couple AUX power jacks, GPS and soft saddle bags, I know I've got a ways to go...and will chip away at what I can, over time. As a married, father of five, my budget is quite limited...so swapping out for a BMW or KTM as seen on LWR & LWD, isn't really an option for me at the moment. If anything, I'd love to hang onto my NH forever, Lord willing...and maybe someday add an official dual-sport type / adventure rider style sports touring bike to my fleet, too.

In the meantime, a few of the upgrades I'd love to incorporate, as economically as possible, via craigslist, ebay, etc., would include, but are not limited to...hard cases (or possibly even panniers), tsunami front fairing (and possibly the corresponding chin scoop; if not, then Honda engine guards), center stand, OEM tool kit (as I did not receive one from previous owner/s), Hondaline seat back (or compatible luggage rack w/o seat, TBD), hard case / pannier mounts...and who knows, maybe even a corbin seat...since everyone seems to rave about them...though I'd like to actually sit on one first.  :think2:

Interestingly, I ran a google image search, and this site/seller appears to refer to NH's as "Tourer" bikes...though admittedly, the one they're referencing has many, many more touring-minded upgrades than I currently do (the unexpected $600. to pass PA inspection on the previously NY inspected '92 NH I bought really bit into my upgrade budget...but hey, she's running like a champ, safely now).

DataBikes.com's '94 NH "Tourer" Reference:  http://databikes.com/infophoto/honda/cb750-1994.html
Every day is a gift.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
Ride the Dragon in NC and see what category your NH falls into.  I remember the first KSL we did with this forum, we had a dozen Nighthawks and it seemed like each bike was in a different category.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »
Ride the Dragon in NC and see what category your NH falls into.  I remember the first KSL we did with this forum, we had a dozen Nighthawks and it seemed like each bike was in a different category.

Fascinating. My 1st bike was a sports bike and 2nd a cruiser, so both standard and tourer / sports tourer are new to me...just trying to wrap my head back around it all, having just returned to motorcycles after an unintentional decade break. :)

Anything noteworthy, and Nighthawk appropriate, ride-wise in Southeastern, PA? (I don't get to NC much, these days, unfortunately).
Every day is a gift.

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
@n5tbu, those are both great looking NH's with sweet ST setups. I'm looking into various hard case/pannier options now.

Who makes your's and how are they mounted?

I contacted Givi, etc., and it seems many NH mounts have been discontinued...and are therefore challenging to find nowadays, apparently.

(In the meantime, I've scored  a set of used Kawasaki throw over soft cases/saddle bags, for $20).

Thanks!
They are GIVI cases and a GIVI wingrack....I made my own mounts using the turn signal holes with 3 spacers and an all thread rod.
Then another brace to the rear muffler bolts.
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

The 750 holds almost 5 gallons and if I keep mine at 60MPH,I can easilly go 220 miles before I need reserve.
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
750 NH is just working too hard at 75-85 MPH.Not the definition of ST.Sure you can do it but there is little "sport" in NH

My favorite ST on a budget is Honda ST1100 lots of them for sell under 3k with 40k miles and these engines can easily go 200k miles.Most of neglected ST's are folks who bought the ST1300 and leaving left overs for folks like me.... yaha1
Love good bargains!

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
The 750 holds almost 5 gallons and if I keep mine at 60MPH,I can easilly go 220 miles before I need reserve.

Another good point I'd overlooked.

Also, just to muddy the waters all over again, this site categorizes my NH as a... (wait for it)..."Sports touring" bike. ;)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_750_1992.php

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Still very much evaluating everyone's viewpoints).
Every day is a gift.

Offline NH750Kitch

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 750 NH
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »
As other esteemed members have already pointed out, the Nighthawk was considered a "Standard" but the beauty of most standards is that they can be easily configured for touring.  In the case of my '93 750, I'd deck her out with a Plexifairing 3 windshield, soft bags and the Biker's Friend medium roll bag as an effective rider back rest and was good to go for long hauls.  When I would get to rally / trip destination, I'd strip most of the bags then she was ready for the twisties  ridn2

As far as the high rpm issue at slab speeds, I went with a 16T front sprocket and that knocked down the RPM's  by at least 500 at over 70mph (if I remember correctly).  It was a big difference in highway comfort for me.

In any case, the late model Nighthawk is a versatile and easy to deal with two wheeled gal  bkr3
Kitch

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »

Who wants to keep it at 60?  og2 brno  That's not really a fair argument.  If you baby any bike like that, you'll get longer range. 

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
As other esteemed members have already pointed out, the Nighthawk was considered a "Standard" but the beauty of most standards is that they can be easily configured for touring.  In the case of my '93 750, I'd deck her out with a Plexifairing 3 windshield, soft bags and the Biker's Friend medium roll bag as an effective rider back rest and was good to go for long hauls.  When I would get to rally / trip destination, I'd strip most of the bags then she was ready for the twisties  ridn2

As far as the high rpm issue at slab speeds, I went with a 16T front sprocket and that knocked down the RPM's  by at least 500 at over 70mph (if I remember correctly).  It was a big difference in highway comfort for me.

In any case, the late model Nighthawk is a versatile and easy to deal with two wheeled gal  bkr3

Great tips! Have since found another great on-line UJM article which may shed light on differing opinions, as in the past (when these came out), UJM's were becoming the norm, with the expectation that the riders would then customize them as desired, to fall into either a sports bike, sports tourer, or cruiser...whereas it's become the norm today, many years later (as my new-to-me '92 is actually 24yrs. old), to buy specific types, from the factory, ready to go, out-of-the-box, in whatever flavor you like. I see pros and cons to both. Biggest con? My budget! Lol.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/honda/honda_cb750sc%2092.htm
Every day is a gift.

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

Who wants to keep it at 60?  og2 brno   you'll get longer range.

Me! I love the back roads and I see so much more scenery.
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
  • Bike: 82 NH450
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »

Fascinating. My 1st bike was a sports bike and 2nd a cruiser, so both standard and tourer / sports tourer are new to me...just tiring to wrap my head back around it all, having just returned to motorcycles after an unintentional decade break. :)

Anything noteworthy, and Nighthawk appropriate, ride-wise in Southeastern, PA? (I don't get to NC much, these days, unfortunately).

Fascinating. My 1st bike was a sports bike and 2nd a cruiser, so both standard and tourer / sports tourer are new to me...just tiring to wrap my head back around it all, having just returned to motorcycles after an unintentional decade break. :)

Ride up PA Route 32 along the Delaware River all the way up to the Delaware Water gap or beyond.  Great ride!

Offline Wolfos31

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

Not to  tjacked but what was the username of that guy? And wasn't his riding buddy Pants something? Those are two forum members I haven't seen on since my return. Did they become inactive/leave?

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:09 AM »

Not to  tjacked but what was the username of that guy? And wasn't his riding buddy Pants something? Those are two forum members I haven't seen on since my return. Did they become inactive/leave?

After the server crash, many didn't return.  But the guy you're thinking of was Loki.  I think he popped up briefly to part out his Nighthawk.  He hasn't been active since.

In fact, here's a thread where he was doing that a year ago.  He has pictures of his auxiliary tank in that thread. 
http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,1545.msg15922.html#msg15922

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
  • Bike: cb 450sc
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
" My favorite ST on a budget is Honda ST1100 " I picked one up a few months ago for $2000, now I have the mighty ST 1300 and a 1999 ST 1100

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved