Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sports Touring Bike?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
  • Bike: cb 450sc
Re: Sports Touring Bike?
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
well I said that the 7.7 gallon tank on the mighty ST 1300 wasn't big enough so I did something about it. I had cousinjeff put a three gallon fuel cell on mine, he's not done with the plumbing yet and his ST 1300has one also

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee381/detdrbuzzard/20170511_125009.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
Very nice looking work.  On mine, the 7.7 gallons is plenty, but I can appreciate this set up.

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
Very nice looking work.  On mine, the 7.7 gallons is plenty, but I can appreciate this set up.
I also ride with couzinscott and couzinken, scott rides a bmw r 1200 rt with a three gallon fuel cell and Kenny rides an fjr 1300 with a three gallon fuel cell so now we will all have a fuel cell and can extend our range if needed

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
Finally got a chance to have the used, maroon Targa Tsunami (front fairing) I'd picked up sometime last August (just before we had to suddenly throw everything into storage a couple months, close on our home and move; eventually unpacking), off an Oklahoma Craigslister, re-glassed and professionally painted, so I could install her last week.

Have since put roughly 500 or so more miles on my '92 Nighthawk, and am BLOWN AWAY at just how BEAUTIFULLY she (finally) CUTS THROUGH THE WIND!

Had finally mounted the Targa Air Dam ("Chin Scoop" / "Cowling" / "Lower Spoiler") shortly prior, which I'd picked up off NHF Member razorbacksrule, out of Arkansas, too.

This winning combo is an absolute GAME CHANGER!

While the stock/OEM/naked headlight NH look is cool looking (which drew me to the bike, off a NY Craigslister), and later, temporarily adding the (eBay) National Cycle F-Series™ F-18 fairing helped with buffeting/the wind...

With the (unfortunately discontinued) Targa Tsunami & Targa Air Dam combo installed, she feels like she [much more] quietly hugs the road, which may lead you to believe you're going about 30mph slower than you actually are, (when cruising on the highway), which is fantastic...in helping cut down on fatigue tremendously (especially when combined with a nice pair of properly inserted ear plugs).

By the best, conservative estimates, my Nighthawk would appear to now look 100,000x's cooler than she previously had...well, at least to me. Haha! :)

In short:  STOKED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »

Has anybody determined whether the NH750 can correctly be called a Naked bike? 

Or perhaps just:  A Naked Sports Touring Standard (as created by the dream team at Honda to tick all the boxes). 

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 04:24:25 AM »

Has anybody determined whether the NH750 can correctly be called a Naked bike? 

Or perhaps just:  A Naked Sports Touring Standard (as created by the dream team at Honda to tick all the boxes).

Heck, you can call it whatever you like.

Offline Boise Jim

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH750
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:35 PM »
Did someone say sport touring bike?
One of the things I love about the 'Hawk is that you can make in into what you want! [imghttp://[/img]
[][/img]
[imghttp://[/img]
Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Interesting read.

Going back to the original premise of the thread, I'm a bit of a literalist -- I feel a true sport-touring bike has something of a nod to the sportier side of the business. I little more forward lean, some sort of fairing for better aero and weather protection, etc. But I understand that the lines can get quite blurry.

IMO, adding bags, wind screen, better seat, etc. is turning a classic UJM/standard bike into a mid-weight tourer. Other than the inline-4 powerplant, I wouldn't say there's much 'sport' in a NH.

When I was ready to move on from my '83 550, I was fully prepared to buy a new-gen 750 and doll it up for the kind of spirited, longer-range riding I like to do. And then another member here turned me on to the Kawasaki Concours, and I drank the Kool-Aid. Back when I was looking, a decent NH750 was going to be around $2000-$2300. I picked up a '98 Concours 1000 for $2600 and it was all I was looking for.

5 years later, I was ready to leave carbeurated bikes behind and desired something a bit smaller/lighter than the Connie. I searched a long time for what I considered a 3/4-Concours, and about the best match I found was the Honda NT700V:  Shaft drive, integrated bags, decent weather protection...but a test ride left me feeling rather 'meh'. And prices for bikes that were 6-7 years old were outside my projected budget.

In the end, I replaced the Concours with a pretty-well-kitted-out 2012 V-Strom 650, and I've been very happy with the move. No, it doesn't shed the wind and rain like I got used to with the Kawi, and maybe I have to downshift to make that quick pass, but I love the slow-speed maneuverability and the upright riding position is much better on my knees.

As my buddy in car sales likes to say:  "There's an ass for every seat."
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
One of the things I love about the 'Hawk is that you can make in into what you want! [imghttp://[/img]
[][/img]
I like what you've done with the nighthawk jim but I'm not ready to give up the power of the mighty ST 1300 and I know I couldn't manage with a smaller gas tank. been looking at 650 vstroms myself, lots of aftermarket support for them but I want a bmw r1200 gsa and that 9 gallon tank

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
@Boise Jim,

That is one of the nicer windscreens I have seen on a NH. 

(I currently have mine removed, but do use it occasionally, appreciate the look and apparent quality of the one you are using.)

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Sports Touring Bike?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
Dude took his Nighthawk around the world! Here's some pics with it fully loaded...in Siberia:

Quote from: ironbutt, post: 3839460, member: 5686
Here is my Nighthawk in the interior in Siberia on my around the world ride in 2004:

(Shared with permission of ADV Rider . com member, poster and former Nighthawk owner: "ironbutt").

Every day is a gift.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
I can't tell, but that looks like that might be a stock seat.  Must have iron jewels too.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
I can't tell, but that looks like that might be a stock seat.  Must have iron jewels too.

...well, when you're rolling through SIBERIA on a motorcycle...I'd say everything's pretty much, "on ice," lol.

In all seriousness, I've conversed with him a bit more and it was a part of a round the world trip with not one, but two Nighthawk riders, and some other bikes, too.

Dunno if anyone can find and post an on-line .pdf link to the old article if not, but here are the details, in case anyone's up to the task:

"Slogging Through Siberia," by Bob Higdon, in the December 2005 edition of Rider magazine, (pages 30-37).

Every day is a gift.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2017, 04:27:34 AM »
@Adventurer,

I can't find the specific article you referenced anywhere online, but was surprised to learn that IBR riders travel 1000 miles a day for 11 days!?!  That's a level of dedication I may never understand. LOL!

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »
@Adventurer,

I can't find the specific article you referenced anywhere online, but was surprised to learn that IBR riders travel 1000 miles a day for 11 days!?!  That's a level of dedication I may never understand. LOL!

It's true! I have quite a few buddies who have tackled some of the Iron Butt Challenges via Honda ST 1300's and whatnot.

Every day is a gift.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 06:29:33 AM »
I agree with Baja.  The Nighthawk is a UJM that can be adapted to be ridden in a multitude of environments ranging from forest service roads to (apparently) .... RTW rides.  But just because it could be ridden in those extreme environments doesn't mean that it is ideal for that.  A sports touring bike is one that is designed to be loaded and ridden comfortably cross country with wind/weather protection), and also when unloaded, offer some aspects of spirited riding through the more twisty roads.  Nighthawks can be adapted to perform that kind of service, but ST bikes come ready for that kind of duty from the factory.

I rode nighthawks for two years before I bought my first FJR.  The weekend I took that bike on my first REAL tour, I realized that the Nighthawk, while an excellent motorcycle in its own rite, is NOT a sports touring motorcycle.  That is not meant to be insulting - just my opinion based on my experiences.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
I agree with Baja.  The Nighthawk is a UJM that can be adapted to be ridden in a multitude of environments ranging from forest service roads to (apparently) .... RTW rides.  But just because it could be ridden in those extreme environments doesn't mean that it is ideal for that.  A sports touring bike is one that is designed to be loaded and ridden comfortably cross country with wind/weather protection), and also when unloaded, offer some aspects of spirited riding through the more twisty roads.  Nighthawks can be adapted to perform that kind of service, but ST bikes come ready for that kind of duty from the factory.

I rode nighthawks for two years before I bought my first FJR.  The weekend I took that bike on my first REAL tour, I realized that the Nighthawk, while an excellent motorcycle in its own rite, is NOT a sports touring motorcycle.  That is not meant to be insulting - just my opinion based on my experiences.

Interesting. I've never ridden an FJR or any of today's now popular ADV bikes...but everything about them appeals to me, as a potential second bike, down the road. For now, just trying to maximize what I've got, as economically as possible.

Every day is a gift.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
Interesting. I've never ridden an FJR or any of today's now popular ADV bikes...but everything about them appeals to me, as a potential second bike, down the road.

Ha!  A second bike.  That's a good one.    llaugh1

Kidding aside, I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to the size of the rider and not wanting to ride something that big around town?.  For me, a second bike of any kind would collect dust next to the FJR.  Anything sportier or smaller doesn't fit me (not sure how I managed on the Nightahwk) and there's no reason to go with a touring bike. 

An adventure bike would be an exception I think, because it has a different purpose all around.  If I was into that, I might consider a second bike.  But my rubber stays on the pavement as much as possible.  Even with an adventure bike, I wouldn't take it unless I was going off road. 

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
Sports Touring Bike?
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
I have a dl650 vstrom and nh750, and both are capable bikes. I ride both equally. The NH is my favorite around town! Commuting, I will ride either depending on what I'm taking with me.

For long distance the strom is preferred, mostly because I have long legs and bad knees. That is not to say that the NH couldn't do the same thing.  My friend used my NH on two long trips (fully loaded with camping gear and stuff) over the last couple years with no complaints or hardships.

The nighthawk is faster and smoother, and looks retro cool (imo). Although the tank is small, meaning more fill-ups.

I would rather buy a good less-expensive bike (or two) and really ride them, and put the extra money into quality riding gear and a few amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2017, 04:54:50 AM »
Nice to see another "old" face, Hppants.  Still on the FJR I see.

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2017, 05:55:12 AM »
I call my VFR 800 a baby FJR. With the HeliBars and Sargeant seat I've added it sits very similar. The VFR like the FJR Is the definition of sports touring.
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
I have a dl650 vstrom and nh750, and both are capable bikes. I ride both equally. The NH is my favorite around town! Commuting, I will ride either depending on what I'm taking with me.

For long distance the strom is preferred, mostly because I have long legs and bad knees. That is not to say that the NH couldn't do the same thing.  My friend used my NH on two long trips (fully loaded with camping gear and stuff) over the last couple years with no complaints or hardships.

The nighthawk is faster and smoother, and looks retro cool (imo). Although the tank is small, meaning more fill-ups.

I would rather buy a good less-expensive bike (or two) and really ride them, and put the extra money into quality riding gear and a few amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this isn't a "stable mates" thread, but go ahead and post a pic of your NH & Vstrom side-by-side here, if you get a chance, to compare and contrast.
Every day is a gift.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »
Interesting. I've never ridden an FJR or any of today's now popular ADV bikes...but everything about them appeals to me, as a potential second bike, down the road.

Ha!  A second bike.  That's a good one.    llaugh1

Kidding aside, I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to the size of the rider and not wanting to ride something that big around town?.  For me, a second bike of any kind would collect dust next to the FJR.  Anything sportier or smaller doesn't fit me (not sure how I managed on the Nightahwk) and there's no reason to go with a touring bike. 

An adventure bike would be an exception I think, because it has a different purpose all around.  If I was into that, I might consider a second bike.  But my rubber stays on the pavement as much as possible.  Even with an adventure bike, I wouldn't take it unless I was going off road.

Budget permitting, I'd love to add both a full on dirt bike and a ADV bike to my NH stable, to be equipped for virtually any two wheeled motorized scenario.

In the meantime, our neighbor just blessed us with a black, TaoTao 250ATV, so that'll help hold us (the seven of us) over for the time being, no doubt!
Every day is a gift.

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
[][/img]
I'm in the market for a Nighthawk. I've always wanted one. I recently bought and sold a 03 VTX1800C this spring. I had an 02 years ago, but I just wasn't feeling it. Boise Jim I'm digging yours. This is exactly the way I would set mine up. As far as the whole ST debate, I say keep the ST and call it a "Standard Touring " not "Sport Touring".

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:23 PM »
Actually, the SC (as in CB750SC) stands, or stood, for Sport Custom.

I consider mine as an ST.

As do I:

http://www.vetterowners.com/attachments/150801_010-jpg.1727/

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved