Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wisconsin/Illinois 2016 Ride (part 1)  (Read 895 times)

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
Wisconsin/Illinois 2016 Ride (part 1)
« on: July 20, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
Well the old group got together again for an early summer ride this year.  After usual amounts of democratic input here on the forum we decided to ride to (and around) Starved Rock State Park in north central Illinois.  This edition brought out 4 riders, including myself, on an unusually warm June Sunday.  As the date approached, concerns about heavy downpours and thunderstorms began to develop, and sure enough, the morning of the ride started with lots of yellow and red on the radar.  Via group text, the group decided to hold off for a few hours as the front was fast moving.  By around 10am, we were all stands up.  Myself, Aycaramba, and Home4Sale met near Chicago, in Elgin, IL., as SMP started his journey from the quad cities area.

Our first rendezvous in Elgin

Bikes above (in order left to right) belong to Home4Sale, me, and Aycaramba.  Our group then began our journey south to meet up with SMP at Starved Rock State Park.  It was a simple 2 road route.  We took IL 25 south to Route 71, which heads straight to the park.  We managed to stay dry and only missed one turn, not too bad.  IL 25 is scenic, but quite slow and moderately congested.  71 feels more like a country highway and after crossing the Illinois River in Ottawa, it becomes an absolutely gorgeous road with moderate twisties, somewhat steep elevation changes, and beautiful scenery.  Around lunch time we had made it to the park visitor center, where SMP had been patiently waiting.

Here we are in the parking lot

From left to right is Aycaramba, SMP, me, and Home4Sale

After catching up, discussing add ons and customizations, our bellies started doing the talking and we took a short ride up to Utica for lunch at Skoog's.  Utica is a one street town, reminded me of the old west almost.

Unfortunately, none of us took any pictures of our meals, but there were no complaints.  Over lunch, looking at the clock, we decided riding all the way down the river to Peoria and back might be a bit too ambitious.  We decided on a partial journey down the west bank of the river, with a return back up on the east bank.  Limited bridges in the area made the route planning easy and we set off with SMP in the lead.  This leg of the ride started with some gorgeous scenery and sweeping turns, but ended up becoming flat and straight.  No complaints could be heard though because we essentially had the road to ourselves.  I'm pretty sure we saw more motorcycles than cars down there, including a few large Harley groups.  We stopped in Lacon, IL for gas and a stretch.  We all took this opportunity to begin route planning home.  After a few minutes we had a plan and said our goodbyes to SMP, as he would be breaking off before the remaining 3 of us would stop again.  Stands up again and heading north up the east bank of the river, horn honks and waves to SMP as the remaining 3 broke east on to 71.  Myself, Aycaramba, and Home4Sale gassed up one final time in Granville, IL before slabbing it home.

We were all home well before dark, and I was admittedly pretty cooked.  Hadn't had many miles under my belt yet at that point in the season, and in the words of SMP, "the interstate really wipes me out"

All in all the day was a success, it was hot and humid, but comfortable while moving.  Next stop, the Driftless!

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
Re: Wisconsin/Illinois 2016 Ride (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
Steve, thanks for the report and excellent / detailed write up.  I went on vacation shortly after and your details brought me back.  Enjoyed the trip and company of you fine gentlemen.

The only part I have to add is after my final split from the group.  I cramped up quite severely due to dehydration and because I was wearing this heat off undergarment under my pants.  Doing 70+mph for a couple of hours straight on a hot day could bring on cramping I suppose.  Next time, hydrate.  Lesson learned.

Look forward to planning the trip up north with you guys next!  Great bikes, great friends and a great time.

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 06:45:55 AM »
excellent, excellent, excellent ridn2
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »
Thanks for taking on this report.  Nice job!  And also much fun to be a part of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
great looking bikes.  Thanks for sharing

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
You guys ever ride in Wisconsin? New riders allowed?
I'm from the Door County area in Wisconsin, but willing to drive a couple hours if you ever get out this way.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
New riders always welcome. I'd like to get a ride out west of Madison, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
The more the merrier! We should def all meet up in WI this season!

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
I've heard the Driftless Area is nice.   
Is that the place you are talking about - west of Madison?

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
The driftless was a goal for last season, but we never made it as a group.  I rode some of those roads solo and they are spectacular!

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
Driftless area, yes. It would definitely be worth a trip.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
Sounds great.

Offline Poligrafovich

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 700s
Wisconsin/Illinois 2017 Ride
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »
I'm interested, any notion as to schedule? With house-selling luck, earlier would be better for me, as I'll be moving back down south sometime this  summer.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 06:01:06 AM »
Giving up on the land of cheese? Well, I can understand. SOQS wouldn't be heartbroken to move back south again. The winters do take a toll as one ages. Haven't thought about timing, yet.  Hard to do so with snow on the ground.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved