Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Favorite Non-Nighthawk Standards  (Read 23463 times)

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
Your Favorite Non-Nighthawk Standards
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »
I really enjoy my '92 Nighthawk 750, but like every bike I've ever had, I've always got my eye out for my next upgrade, even if I know I won't be making the jump anytime soon.  So I was curious, among this community of folks who really appreciate bikes of the "standard" niche, what are some of your favorites, be it a bike you once rode, own now, or just always admired.  Bikes I have on my list of potential future interests:

Kawasaki ZRX 1100/1200
Honda 919 (CB900F)
Suzuki Bandit 1200/1250
Triumph Thunderbird Sport (90's standard/cafe, not the big new cruiser)
Triumph Scrambler / Thruxton
2014 CB1100 (of course)
Yamaha FZ-09
half a dozen others I'm not thinking of right now.

Features I'm interested in that the NH lacks:
Liquid Cooling (I sit in 98 degree Houston traffic every afternoon)
6 speed Gearbox (I always find myself looking for one more gear)
More modern brakes and suspension
Maybe fuel injection if I go new enough to get into that
But at the very least, I want something that either outperforms the NH, or performs similarly with a good jump in fuel economy from the 36mpg I'm getting around town.

Let me know what you've experienced, good and bad, and what you recommend or are interested in.

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
Re: Your Favorite Non-Nighthawk Standards
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »
36?!?  I get 45 on the same bike around town (smaller town--Charlottesville).  Think it's because I'm not sitting in Houston traffic?  Maybe there's something to be done to boost your mileage

Offline Jeckler

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH750
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
I've liked the zrx and 919, but now my sights are set on a 3rd Gen Z1000. I looked at and rode the Fz-09, but its a bit to rough.
- Andy

Offline moshee

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
Without a doubt, my favorite bike of all time was and is the 1974 BMW R90S that I purchased in 74.  I still have the bike, although I gifted it to my son.  It was an all around bike with which I commuted with, toured with, and raced.  In racing, it garnered a 2nd in class and a 4th overall in endurance racing and a 3rd place in a sprint race.  Back in the day, it was an excellent all around bike.  None could touch it for its versatility.  It wasn't the best at anything but....was excellent at all things......not the fastest but was fast.....not the best handling but had excellent handling.  The pictures are of the bike as it is today.  It has survived and been restored from crashes at 80 and 95 mph when raced.  Like a thoroughbred, it's now retired and put out to pasture.  If I could buy another R90S today, I would.  BTW, that is a stock paint job, many have mistaken it for a custom paint job.

Offline ariwhiteboy

• Last of the V8 Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1K-Literhawk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »

Features I'm interested in that the NH lacks:
Liquid Cooling (I sit in 98 degree Houston traffic every afternoon)

Careful what you wish for...liquid cools well if you have air flowing over it. Once you're stationary, your highly effective cooling system can become a boiling kettle that will roast you thighs with the best of them.

I had to install a manual switch for my radiator fan so I could cut it on in traffic. Even now, I try to avoid sitting if possible.

That being said, I do love a sharp looking ZRX...love to get one and do a Honda RWB paint job on it.
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline Dog

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 CB700SC
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
My '01 ZRX 1200 was a beast. I finally sold it because it scared the hell out of me. Acceleration and braking were immediate.

I think I would love a '14 CB1100. I think I will wait for a used one....
Dog

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
I'm still drawn to some of the other bikes I had on my list when I found the NH:

- Yamaha Seca II
- Suzuki Bandit
- Suzuki GS
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
Hope the pics come through, but I've never used the photo bucket thang.

Photobucket worked. The beemer is sharp, love the paint!

36?!?  I get 45 on the same bike around town (smaller town--Charlottesville).

I stop at a red light about every half mile on a 7 mile commute. I've tried to time it so that I won't have to stop, but they stay red for so long that I would get run over if I went slow enough to catch the green. The city really needs to update the programming for the lights, it's my least favorite thing about Houston.  Aside from that, I suspect some gains could be made with a carb sync, and I could stand to accelerate a little less aggressively on weekend rides.

My '01 ZRX 1200 was a beast. I finally sold it because it scared the hell out of me. Acceleration and braking were immediate.

I think I would love a '14 CB1100. I think I will wait for a used one....

The ZRX is that intense huh? I probably better find one to try so I don't get in over my head. 
When the 2013 CB came out, I was thinking "Wow, I love it, but really Honda, no 6th gear and no ABS?" Less than a year later, problem solved.

I've liked the zrx and 919, but now my sights are set on a 3rd Gen Z1000. I looked at and rode the Fz-09, but its a bit to rough.
Historically I've had bad luck with Yamahas. I know A lot of people love them, but it seems to me that there's a reason they can sell "a lot of bike for the money." I worry that maybe I'm just being a hater though. I like all generations of the Z1000, I think they maybe tried just a little too hard for my taste on the styling of the latest model though, I like simple lines, the 2014 Z1 might be too radical for me.

I'm still drawn to some of the other bikes I had on my list when I found the NH:

- Yamaha Seca II
- Suzuki Bandit
- Suzuki GS

I love the 90's GSX1100G, but they're hard to find around here.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:22:37 AM »
I love the ZRX, but I've gotten the where I can't go for long without real wind protection, and there are no options I've seen for the Rex's.

A bike many people forget about.  It's contemporary to the NH, but bigger.....

91-94 GSX1100 - a de-tuned GSX-R engine in a standard frame with shaft drive.

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »
Oh that is sweet!
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline OptionXIII

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 650
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
How has no one mentioned the SV650/1000 yet?

That GSX is awesome!

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
I always felt like the SVs were a little more sport oriented.  The 650 does have good reviews though...

Now for something a little smaller - the venerable VX800.  A V-twin 800 standard with shaft drive:

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »
Yeah I really like the GSX1100G, been watching for one forever, much harder to come by than the NH. The VX is one I hadn't thought of, cool bike, never seen one before.
I agree on the SV, a well respected bike with limitless aftermarket options, but I rode a friend's around and I don't think it's for me. If you're someone who is into the SV, I will probably lose what little credibility I have by saying this, but check out the Hyosung GT 650 naked. Some people claim they are the same as an SV, which they are absolutely not, but they are a good performing bike for dirt cheap, my brother bought one new in 2010 for $4000 out the door, tax, title, set-up, everything, $4k. Bike still runs great, looks like new, never had any issues. It comes with a one year complete warranty, parts and labor, and a second year parts warranty, labor paid by owner. That's better than any major brand warranty that I know of, and I liked our Hyosung dealer a lot better than the weasels at the mainstream dealer, but that's a local case-by-case issue.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
You mention a couple times about needing a 6th gear.  That may not be what you need.  Just because a bike has 6 gears doesn't mean the top gear ratio is substantially different than one with 5 speeds.  remember also that the NH was designed in the later days of the National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL) or 55mph on highways, that had an affect on vehicle design for a while as well.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »
Very true, I don't necessarily need a 6th gear, there's just something about it that feels right and appeals to me, even if it won't really make a difference. I didn't think about the national 55mph days as a factor, I guess I should find some 55mph roads and see if I can get some better fuel economy!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
Another cool but oft-forgotten standard that was only on the market for a short time was the Harley Davidson XR1200 - one of the only HD's I can really get myself interested in.  Anybody ridden one? I would love to hear about it from someone who isn't a Harley/cruiser fanatic.

Also had some interest in the Aprilia Shiver at one point, doesn't look very comfortable though.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
Another cool but oft-forgotten standard that was only on the market for a short time was the Harley Davidson XR1200 - one of the only HD's I can really get myself interested in.  Anybody ridden one? I would love to hear about it from someone who isn't a Harley/cruiser fanatic.

Also had some interest in the Aprilia Shiver at one point, doesn't look very comfortable though.

We have similar tastes. I've said the same about the XR1200. This past weekend I watched a bunch of them race in the Vance & Hines Harley Davidson AMA Pro Road Racing series at Road America. They sure sound cool.

I find it telling that the only bike in the HD line-up that's in any way suitable for a race series is one that they discontinued 2 years ago.

And the Shiver -- oo-la-la! I don't think I've ever seen an Aprilia I didn't like.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
I'm very interested in this topic.  I'm going by http://cycle-ergo.com for a zero forward lean.  I want something light, 400ish pounds, and fast 100+hp
Does such a bike exist naked?

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 12:02:28 AM »
I'm very interested in this topic.  I'm going by http://cycle-ergo.com for a zero forward lean.  I want something light, 400ish pounds, and fast 100+hp
Does such a bike exist naked?

For those criteria the first thing that comes to mind is the Street Triple R, which sits dry at 370 lbs with 106 horse claimed at the crank. The Speed Triple R is 107 pounds heavier, 29 more horse.

Another possibility is the Ducati 848 Streetfighter.

The FZ1 and FZ6 are also technically considered "open standards" that are more on the sporty side.

Consider the torque curve in your criteria as well, it really makes the difference in how much fun the bike will be most of the time. The reason they don't combine zero forward lean, ultra light weight, no fairings, and very high horsepower, is because all of those things combined would make an extremely unstable and dangerous ride.  You need some weight to keep the bike from being blown all over or losing traction, you need some lean to keep the rider from being blown off the back on acceleration, and if you plan on spending any time at the high speeds that a 100+ horsepower bike is capable of, you're going to need some wind protection in order to have any control of the bike.

Offline ariwhiteboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:51 AM »
Hey if we're looking at "sportier" standards like the Shiver or Duc, I've always thought the Suzuki B King was awesome.

What is good Phaedrus...

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 05:03:51 AM »

I did like the look of that...but then I sat on one.  The seat felt very narrow and hard, and the ergos just didn't sit well with me for some reason.  Still, it's a pretty bike.

Offline bruceman

• View Profile
  • Bike: 95 nh 750
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »
I've either had or rode many of the bigger bikes on your list, but I really like my sevenfiddy for a daily driver. Its much more relaxing for me to ride, its fast enough to ride anywhere on the highways, but not so fast that you cant really use the power, legally.

When they first introduced the Bandit 1200, a sales guy at the dealer told me they had too much power for the street, I thought he was nuts. After having one for several years, I see his point. When you have that much power, you want to use it, but most of the time you'd be breaking the law.

When the 750 was introduced in the sixties, it was a "superbike", now its a "standard". Pretty much the same bike, the newer ones have slightly more power.

Some bikes that interest me today are the SRX6 (hard to find), the CB1100 (to expensive for what it is), Honda Hawk 650 (hard to find) SR400 (new, way too much money for what it is). 

Offline Texas Red

• View Profile
  • Bike: 95 750
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:16 AM »
Yes I remember when the CB-750 came out, Fastest bike on the road, and looked like a Monster.
Boy have things changed, now my 750 Nighthawk, is used for running errands, and short trips around town.
The ST-1100 is for longer runs, and 2 up, traveling, Interstate etc.
The only change I could think of for the nighthawk would be 6 speed, just doesn't have a high enough gear.
I am thinking about changing the sprockets, less low end , and more on top.
The only 2 up is my grand daughter, don't even know she is behind me.
Florida's Treasure Coast

Offline moshee

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »
Any bike that can do 125 MPH is more than enough for me.  I bought a Nighthawk for the ease of maintenance, not for its performance.  Lets face it, the Nighthawk is neither fast nor agile.

I guess I'm somewhat a throwback, I would prefer a motorcycle that I can work on.  The single and twin cylinder motorcycles of yesteryear fit my needs.  Simple bikes that are easy to understand.  Tuning was by feel and sound.  I would even opt for points, yes, you have to gap them from time to time but they won't leave you stranded.  Sad to say, my style of bike hasn't been sold for a long time.

If the old BMW airheads were still available, I'd buy one in a heartbeat or maybe even a Yamaha SR500 single.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
I did like the look of that...but then I sat on one.  The seat felt very narrow and hard, and the ergos just didn't sit well with me for some reason.  Still, it's a pretty bike.
I suspected this might be the case, the seat looks like a vinyl wrapped slab of plywood. I love the corbin saddle on my Nighthawk.
I've always thought the Suzuki B King was awesome.
Almost forgot about the B-King, basically a naked 'Busa, right? I hope I never have a desire for that kind of power haha.
I've either had or rode many of the bigger bikes on your list, but I really like my sevenfiddy for a daily driver. Its much more relaxing for me to ride, its fast enough to ride anywhere on the highways, but not so fast that you cant really use the power, legally.
This is very true, honestly we're kidding ourselves if we think we 'need' a 750; my '79 Suzuki GS 425 would comfortably do 70mph in your choice of 3 gears (6-speed), with plenty of grunt left to pass when needed. But, the Nighthawk is a lot more fun to ride, even well below the speed limit. For around town, my 100cc 2-stroke dual sport was as capable as anything, and got me 70mpg no matter how I rode it, with insurance rates at $70 per year!
When the 750 was introduced in the sixties, it was a "superbike", now its a "standard". Pretty much the same bike, the newer ones have slightly more power.
I've always liked to think of my '92 as "the grandson of the world's first superbike", but much has changed since 1969, and even since 1992, i.e. 85 mph speed limit between Austin and San Antonio, 55% faster than the U.S. version Nighthawk was ever intended to go legally. (No wonder we didn't get the dual disc brakes, better suspension, and bigger fuel tank of the international version).

The only change I could think of for the nighthawk would be 6 speed, just doesn't have a high enough gear.

If I could get a modern air-cooled 750, fuel-injected, 6-speed, bigger oil cooler, bigger fuel tank, modern brakes, basically the CB1100 without the displacement and maybe quite a bit cheaper, that would be just perfect.

Any bike that can do 125 MPH is more than enough for me.  I bought a Nighthawk for the ease of maintenance, not for its performance.  Lets face it, the Nighthawk is neither fast nor agile.

...Sad to say, my style of bike hasn't been sold for a long time.

I really miss the street legal two-strokes; The Yamaha RD series (later the RZ), the Suzuki GT series, etc.  Imagine a design like the GT-750 "Water Buffalo" but with modern improvements: power-valve cylinders, fuel injection,  a few hundred pounds lighter with modern frame/suspension/brakes, a proper 2-stroke exhaust, you could make a very simple yet high-performance monster.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved