Username: Password:

Author Topic: My '93 "rescue" Nighthawk 750 is injured. Low side. Help - source for parts?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline phreon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
I've been fixing up an old '93 Nighthawk 750 I've affectionately been calling, "BeaterHawk". Has seen a hard life, but seems mechanically sound (plus, I got 'er cheap). Replaced the chain, sprockets, lights, mirrors, petcock, straightened the front end, fixed some electricals, buffed the paint, balanced the carbs, etc.

This morning on the way to work, I was making a left onto a side/connector street, just like I have dozens of times before. I don't know if I hit something on the yellow lines, some anti-freeze or the ME880s it wears are too old (plenty of tread), but the the rear end gave out in a "how the h*ll is this happening?" moment. I wasn't touching the brakes nor clutch, was just easing onto the throttle and couldn't have been going more than 15 mph, tops. A guy stopped to help me, assessed I was ok and helped me pick her up. It took a bit of cranking to clear the flooded carbs, but she fired up and sounded fine. I limped the bike home about a mile away.

I got off with a scuffed elbow, knee and purple/fractured pinky (wearing gear), but BeaterHawk suffered more. It appears the bars, center stand and Hondaline luggage rack bore the brunt as she skittered across the pavement throwing sparks and came to rest against the curb. The bars are bent which put a small dent in the tank, the forks are tweaked, the left mirror came off destroying the clutch lever frame in the process, the left side lights are predictably destroyed, the left crank cover is scuffed a bit (much less than I would have thought), the left pipe is rashed at the tip, the foot peg is pretty mangled and the luggage rack is beat. The rack looks like it's ground to a pulp and is bent a bit. The headlight is also rashed along with the speedo a bit.

Bare minimum to get her back on the road will be a new handlebar, clutch lever and lights, along with a thorough inspection and straightening the front *again*.  Anyone know where I might acquire a "new" handlebar and clutch lever assembly at a good (cheap) price? I'm not looking to make this bike a showpiece, just a a reliable ride. Used parts are preferred, actually. Maybe a headlight body?

Is there anything I should look for engine wise? Any kind of hidden damage that could have happened? It took some cranking when I got home after work to start it to put it into the garage and the idle seems lower. Revs fine though. Check the snot tube and airbox? Change the oil?

The kicker through all of this is I have an engine guard kit, but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks,

Doug

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
 Sorry about your mishap.  It happens to all of us at some point.  I would look on ebay  or a salvage yard for used parts.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Woodguy

• View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB 700 SC
I too, am sorry to hear what happenend, the main thing is that you are allright.

I would check out salvage yards.. ebay can be expensive.. and sometimes time consuming...

Offline phreon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
As luck would have it, I found on eBay the handlebar for $28 and clutch for $8 (+shipping). And another seller had the left and right pipe assys. I grabbed the left for $80 shipped. I haven't bothered with the headlight housing yet.

Any advice what to inspect/look for outside of alignment issues? Oddly, I think the engine tick I reported before the site crashed, went away! Huh??

Doug

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved