Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's your garage like?  (Read 911 times)

Offline rb550four

• View Profile
  • Bike: all Hondas
What's your garage like?
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
    On some forums I find guys that are wrenching in their driveway, I know one guy that lives in the city and does all his work in a parking space on a street. I know guys that spent more on the garage/mancave than I 've spent on my entire house and it's spotless. I know guys that have stockpiled parts and bikes into a 3 thousand square foot building and only have 12 square feet to work in.
    I have garage space ....okay a couple of garage spaces, the problem for me is set up. You know , the placement of things that make doing everything easier .  I was on a different forum last year when the clean/organize/make it be easier bug bit me. Since then I have tried a few different was to store parts, have ample workspace around a bike on a lift, strategic  tool storage, parts storage....I'm just not satisfied with it all yet.
So I ask, what does your garage look like, have you found a way to get it  or some part of it so it works well?
cb450/lotsa cb500/lotsa cb550/some cb650/now this

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
Re: What's your garage like?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
My garage shares space between a project car up on jackstands on one side, and my bike work area on the other, with a Handy Lift, workbench, etc. It was working out fine with the three bikes I have; one could be on the lift and two behind it. It was neat, tidy and very hospitable. Then I brought home three more project bikes and it is a cluster****. No room to walk, work, or do anything and it's a mess. Been doing some very serious thinking about "how bad do I need those project bikes"?
Measure twice, cut once

Online Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 650
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:03:20 AM »
I have Joe's Garage and Joe's Garage Parts II + III. Any Zappa fans out there?
 They are 3 of those temporary garages. One is full of a 20 ft. Bayliner and an assortment of power tools and wood storage. II has 2 dirt bikes, the Nighthawk, lawnmower, snowblower and miscellaneous stuff. There is room to wrench if it's raining. III has my 1982 Suzuki PE250 with a hole in the piston, a 1974 Kawasaki G5 100 project, a JDM Subaru 3.3 litre  SVX engine and more snow tires on rims than I can count. Oh yes and driveshafts etc. hanging on the walls.
 All tools are in the basement which has a ramp down into it. This is the winter bike storage and wrenching area. It's so cluttered my wife does not dare venture down there. Some would say this is a good thing. If I tidy it up, I can't find anything. I'm so used to where everything is just laying around.
 A real garage is in the planning stage. First I  built 2 new bathrooms, a 12 x 16 addition, renovated the living room/dining room,upstairs hall, and one bedroom. I've got the kitchen to do and a new deck and if I'm still alive...the garage.

Offline John R. Mallory

• View Profile
  • Bike: NH
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »
Mine all Kapakahi. Need to make Room for 'bike, it belongs there. I was thinking  of a up lift hinge on the 'cage so the driver door goes Up-- then both could be in garage. I have a separate work shop for work, duh, and tools/instruments. Garage proper is for vehicles/storage.

I had to do most work on NH on sidewalk until it ran (103 degrees! Hurricaine Javier!) Then I rode it up hill (100% grade)  to  below my ash tree. Still need make room in garage. It's fulla my renter's stuff. I can consolidate, make more shelves.  I learned, if I buckle down on some small projects, I can get them done. Got about half either fixed or to Goodwill in two months.  Like, Why do I need 3 irons? Or, 2 wet or dry vacuums, 4 vcrs, 3 dvds, 2 tape decks, 6 speakers?  If I need that tool to get  it done, I buy it, I  no longer just box it up until  Manana. When I get my projects done, I can sell my plastic 6' x6' x 2'  storage thing,  so even more room for 'bikes.

CaptainKirk: Try leaving for a while (4 years.) Like me, you will  come back to neverending projects , and realise life's too short for some things. Someone offered me a free project bike (A  550?? Magna--??--Veetwin), but, I realized then I had too many irons in the fire. I don't Want a 550, anyway!  I'm lucky if I last another 20 years, og2 barring a bike accident. I'd still like an Enduro, possibly a Gold Wing or KZ 1000--in which case I'd sell/give away my NH.  Still want to build that retro ULH!

--

Offline rb550four

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
Holy cow, I just wrote a relatively long response and some questions.....and I ran over time and it all went into space.
So I am forced to shorten  whatever it is I was talking about...screw it, I'll just get a couple pictures of the garage/spaces that I am not pleased with in my garage/ space and ask if anyone has any ideas how to improve the space. whether it be move this here and that there ', more shelves , less shelves, tool placement, wasted space , maybe you have a great idea that works for your garage that I can use in my garage that would improve functionality, save space or help with general organization. I am not satisfied with the space and feel it needs improvement but I'm having a hard time seeing where. I take no offence for the spaces condition and would  take any positive input that could improve the garage/space.
So if you see some room for improvement, please let me know .

This is what it looks like if most of them are in the garage...makes it totally useless...so I store them elswhere

Offline rb550four

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »
Sorry was afraid I'd run outta time again

without so many bikes in the same space
I also have a 10 x 10 room that will be getting a floor in the barn that I can use, the room is a blank canvas and unfinished. And can be used in this process too.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
"store them elsewhere"....EUREKA!!! What a concept! :claps:
Now I just gotta figure out WHERE!
Sorry...guess that didn't help you any, but thanks for the suggestion!!! bnna+
Measure twice, cut once

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
are those all your bikes? bugeye1
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline rb550four

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
   captainkirk , glad I could help.
   I had to build a temporary storage area for the bikes

unfortunately, it's in the valley next to a creek....got 6 feet of water during Irene....lost  and rebuilt 5 machines...now it takes me 6 hrs to move the machines back to the house when high water is a possibility.There are others that can't fit in the garage so they get stored everywhere else. I also store my construction tools in this space ( the picture) too.. 
  Clearviewx, yes . I can't make a reasonable excuse  for this behavior...I rebuilt all of them...could never part with them...so I kept them.
This  however, hasn't slowed me down from picking up another one.
 Organization is needed ,always. I just need to find new ways to keep a handle on this so it doesn't get out of control. This is why I ask if you see anything that I could do to make and keep it under control . please chime in, I would never want this to feel like a burden . I must be missing some ways to keep  it all workable.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
rb you are causing major bike envy now.  Awesome collection. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
I guess I never even considered putting my orphans anywhere besides the garage. I'm thinking of a nice sized shed where they can just relax until it's time for their restos.
Why didn't I think of that earlier???
Measure twice, cut once

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
Perfect for a Honda Motorcycle Locker room.....  whoohoo1
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
...where all the players chew Big Red...
Measure twice, cut once

Offline SmugglersBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »
...where all the players chew Big Red...

I see what you did there!

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
Can't sneak one by you, can I? nice1
Measure twice, cut once

Offline rb550four

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »
    I 've seen collection that some guys have that have like 300 bikes.
I always wondered if the oil ever get changed, are they ever taken out so they don't get stiff, I guess there would never be fuel in them, and how can these guys find time to keep them all clean , rust free and waxed. Dry rot tires just have to be an issue.
I'd be interested to know if anyone is or knows a collector and how he actually deals with these issues.
 I used to keep 10 on the road...but recently ,between all those carb rebuilds I was doing ( always 4 carbs at a time) when we didn't have alcohol free premium fuel , batteries that only last for a year or so, and tires that should be changed out every 6 years , that stuff was getting expensive and seemed like a waste for a machine that might see the road 2 or 3 times a season at most. So now it's only 2 or 3 on the road a year . What do  these other collectors with 100 or more machines do? Do the work to keep them up or just leave them set after the restoration ? Not everyone can have a Leno kind of set up with a mechanic on duty every day either...how do they do it?

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved