Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rally at Mt. Washington  (Read 894 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Rally at Mt. Washington
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »

The Nighthawk gang traveled to New Hampshire this year to climb Mount Washington and ride around the amazing roads.  While there were no Nighthawk bikes at the get together everyone owned at least one at one time in their riding career.

Our first day we went to Searles Castle near Salem, NH.  The ride leader shared the same last name as the castle and while it's not a typical destination it was quite neat.  Surprisingly the manager of the grounds allowed us unfettered access to almost everything.  He didn't know us, we didn't pay anything, all we had is a person in our group who shared the same name as the castle.

Food is fuel.  Someone had a major sweet tooth and chowed down this sugary breakfast.

Our starting point at the entry to the park to ride up Mount Washington.  After you pay your $17 fee you get some weather info and a little sticker that reads, "This Bike Climbed Mount Washington".  A bit premature to offer that credential before the ascent as we learned later as other riders decided to not go all the way.

View from a pull-out along the mountain road.

It's about a nine mile ride to the top.  The road is gravel around the seven mile mark and then reverts back to pavement after a mile or so.  The road is narrow in parts and some of the drops are pretty steep.  The last mile on the way up was completely shrouded with fog.  Made for an eerie last climb.

We actually parked illegally at the top of the mountain.  We couldn't read any of the signs due to the fog and we stopped at a service area for the park workers.  We weren't busted until we were suiting up to leave.

The Cog rail car that takes visitors to the top of the mountain.  It's one of the three ways to get to the top, hike, drive/ride or take the train.

The summit.  My photo is from afar as I didn't have the patience to stand in line for the shot.  Not that it would make any difference, it was so foggy that you really didn't have a view so I thought this would do.

I just like this photo.  One of the riders in our group brought his Sportster to the ride.  His bike has the peanut tank and only has a range of about 110 miles.  It worked out alright except that most of our stops were gas stations with little time opportunities for photos of other sites.

Power Rangers... ATTACK!!!  Yours truly at the edge of a drop-off.

A little hairy at this pull-out.  Nothing is flat as you ride up the mountain and I was very nervous about the lean angle of the bike on it's kickstand right at the edge of the mountain slope.

Tim looking for photo opportunities.

A great view looking down one of the mountain slopes.

Service with a smile.  A nice meal after the climb at a local restaurant.  The burger was served with the smiley face.

Loved this sign at the restaurant.

It rained on our last day of the rally.  My poor bike didn't have a cover and suffered all the fury nature could throw at her that day.

I rode back home with Kitch who lives nearby-ish to me.  The weather turned quite nice as the day went on and we stopped by this mountain lake to take a photo or two and adjust our gear.

It turned into a beautiful day.  Had the rest of the gang waited a half-hour longer we could have had another nice day of riding.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: Rally at Mt. Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
Beautiful pictures. I've always wanted to go up there.

Offline jspringator

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, XT225
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:25:18 AM »
Looks like quite a ride!

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »
nice pictures and trip.. funny not even one Nighthawk though..
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »
Last year's Ramapo 500 Nighthawk group had only me and Aprilfool on Nighthawks; this year there was me, Hawk's Nest, and bernoodle.  There just aren't so many of them around any more and for long-distance riding, other platforms have risen to the surface in terms of comfort, fuel capacity, luggage options, and accessories.
made of meat

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
Nice job Dan. I've got my version in the works. Came home to a server crash and it took way too long to get it sorted out.  Now I just need some time to do it.

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
Great pictures Dan.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys.  Yeah, I know, no Nighthawks but it was this forum that brought us all together.  Like I said I think we all, or at least most of us had owned a Nighthawk or two in the past.  It's really about riders getting together, not the bikes they are riding.

Hope you get your server sorted without issue, Tim.  I got a few more photos I can share at some time too.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
Great report Dan.  Love the pics on Mt. Washington. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved