Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lousy Ride to the Cape  (Read 937 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Lousy Ride to the Cape
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
Serena was gone on a biz trip so I thought I would take one day, maybe two and ride down to Cape Cod.  I've been there before but never on the bike.  I had a plan to avoid rush hour leaving later and coming back later in the evening.  The morning part worked but I just wanted to get home and I hit the meat of rush hour coming from the south of Massachusetts through Boston and then home.  It was awful.  I did see two riders break the law and filter or lane share there way through the mess but with my luck I would either hit a car or get caught so I stayed in my lane and puttered between 10mph and stopped speeds.

I was cranky even before the whole rush hour thing.  I didn't explore the cape like I wanted, lots of missed opportunities and even my meal wasn't all that great.  So why am I sharing all this negative info, sometimes rides suck and while I can post some pretty photos and say how neat the Cape was it wasn't doing it for me that day.  Consider any grumbling my therapy.  Anyway, I did take a few pretty pictures of the Provincetown Sand Dune area.

The Chattam Pier Fish Market.  I had planned to get a bite to eat here as I was a bit cranky after the long freeway ride and that was just magnified by my hunger.  Nope, the fish market was closed.  Besides that fish market there is a working fishery here too.

I did like the name of this road, the Grand Army of the Republic Highway.  Sounds a fitting name for some third world dictatorship road system.

This area is kinda neat, just north of Provincetown is a large dune park.  The roads are pretty clear but the shoulders get some drift on them.

More of the dunes.  There really is a lot more to see in Cape Cod although this area is kinda neat with some fun roads for riding.

More of the dunes, matter of fact this park is named, Dunes of the Provincelands.

Here is my bike.  Parked as about as far as you can go east in the state of Massachusetts without getting wet.

I went by this restaurant on my way up to Provincetown.  The smoker smelled so good from the highway that I was determined to stop on my way back for a late lunch.  I had planned on getting ribs but the server convinced me to get the brisket.  It wasn't very good.  It was a crummy end to a less than enjoyable ride and was the final straw that just told me to get out of dodge and head home.

I did take a winding hwy, 6A along the cape for the ride home before hitting the interstate.  It was nice in parts and even the ride up to Boston was fairly painless until 8 miles out of Boston.  I was getting hot and cranky sitting in traffic with the sun beating down on me and was looking forward to finally reaching the tunnel that goes under Boston for some relief from the heat.  Learned something that day.  With cars stuck idling three to four lane wides at times the tunnel turns into an over and I was wishing for sweet relief of fresh air I was just complaining about earlier.

There's an old fisherman's adage that states, "Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work".  I used to believe the same about riding but this was the first time that didn't hold true.

Offline OJ Buyer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '83 CB 650SC
Re: Lousy Ride to the Cape
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
Sorry your ride didn't pan out. Been there and done that myself... roads that I thought were going to be good but weren't, dodging rain clouds and not getting to take the route I wanted, making a wrong turn, or not taking a bypass around a small but congested town. It happens. Its the good days that make it all worth while.

Have fun and stay safe!

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
I think we've all been there. Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Even with a lousy ride, you put together a good report. Sometimes it just helps to vent.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
Got some good pics anyway.  Sitting in traffic sucks in a cage or on a motorcycle.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
I decided to ride into work today.  On the way home, I was in stop and go traffic on the highway, local streets were jammed, lights after lights, trucks, buses, cars...  As a new rider, what kept me going was convincing myself that I needed to learn this.  If you have been riding for a while, I guess it could get real old or maybe just a bad day.  By the way, you're lucky, imagine how bad the ribs must be if the recommended briskets were bad.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »
I think what gets me the most about this trip is I had the time and opportunity to do it right but I was in such a crappy mood that I wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

home4sale2, I was a few of the rib plates go by, they looked pretty good.  Bad choice on my part.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved