Username: Password:

Author Topic: My winter project! (need some advice from 650 tinkers)  (Read 386 times)

Offline Rjones787

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 650 SC
My winter project! (need some advice from 650 tinkers)
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »
Hey all, here's my bike.
Its a 1983 650sc.

Its pretty clear that it needs some work, but the engine is strong. I'm considering stripping the engine completely down for an overhaul. Even if I don't, I at least want to go through the top end, replacing all upper gaskets, cleaning out the carbs, cleaning the rust from the tank and sealing it, fixing the ...junky... paint job on it, doing a round headlight conversion, and putting on an aftermarket tach/speedo, new tires, etc. It only has 20,000 miles on it, but it obviously has sat around, which is why I want to go through everything. I picked it up for $500. What do yall think?

Offline maxcrowe

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 750
Re: My winter project! (need some advice from 650 tinkers)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:17:52 PM »
that gas cap gives me the heeby jeebies....  imagine paint flakes in your tank... i'd suggest immediately cleaning that up before you fill it up or anything.
larger pic of my bike : http://imgur.com/5SCqWfJ

Offline Rjones787

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 650 SC
Re: My winter project! (need some advice from 650 tinkers)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:26 AM »
That will be step one! I'm stripping the tank and cleaning the inside, then sealing and priming it asap. I plan on replacing the fuel lines, and going through the carbs at least before running it again. Does it hurt the flow of gas at all to add an aftermarket in-line filter?

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved