Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pacific Coast, Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood  (Read 793 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Pacific Coast, Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:50:14 AM »

Had the good luck to rent a bike for two days while out in Portland.  Had a mostly dry with temps that were cold in places but mostly comfortable which is a good bit of luck considering the time of year.  All that aside the scenery is nothing short of stunning.  Vistas so amazing that in a few places you lose attention to the twisty road in front of you.  The roads were in mostly good condition with the exception of severely grooved pavement along a short section of the Columbia River on the Washington side.  It was also mostly sweepers in the curves with only a few technically challenging areas.  I was able to take a few photos, hope you enjoy them.

Day 1, a ride out west on HWY 26, along the 101 on the coast and back to Portland on HWY 6 through Tillamook State Forest.

My "waterproof" luggage from the resourceful folks at Eagle Rider.  Worked like a charm.

Many tunnels through the rocky coastline.

Haystack Rock just south of Canon Beach.  Can be seen in a few movies, Goonies and 1941 to name a few.

Grand views from a pullout along HWY 101

Love the way the highway cuts the rock in two.  Coastline is very rugged.

Roads, rails and the sea.

Coming back home to Portland through the Tillamook State Forest along HWY 6.  Hit some rain on my ascent into the mountains and cold temps but it cleared before I reached the top.

Day 2, Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood

A view of the Columbia River.  This is from the Washington side as the Columbia creates a natural border with Oregon.  Weather was overcast to start the morning.

Cape Horn.  Observant viewers will see the graffiti on the sign, Cape Horny.

Beacon Rock.

Columbia River Gorge Dam built by the Army Corp of Engineers.  Tours are open to the public.

The salmon ladders built into the dam.

Underwater viewing of the fish as they jump up the ladders.

My Bonneville in North Bonneville.

Making my ascent along HWY 35 towards Mt. Hood.  Crossed a very long metal grated bridge to reenter Oregon.  Motorcycles pay a .75 cent toll.

Beautiful mountain scenery.

More sweepers.  This was my last decent photo of the ride even though there was much more to see.  As I made my way around and up the east and south side of the mountain the weather turned quite cold, foggy and damp.  Great roads and some amazing sites but between the foul weather and plentiful road construction didn't allow for many other opportunities.  A shame as there were some spectacular views of the Mt. Hood summit from this side.

I made my way back to Portland, Milwaukie specifically to return the bike.  I missed my turn and rode across a bridge spanning the river and hit rush hour traffic. Unable to turn around I found myself lost and spent another hour finding an alternate route across the river and then another hour finding the bike rental shop as I was riding in severe traffic.  Put a damper on an amazing experience but I would deal with it all again.  Eagle Rider, Portland is a very well run shop that offers great service and a very honest atmosphere.

Hope to get back soon!

Online Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: Pacific Coast, Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »
The Pacific NW is so beautiful.  Excellent report as usual Dan.  Loved the Bonneville in N Bonneville. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:56:20 AM »
Good report Dan.

Jealous.  I'm just jealous.

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:51 AM »
Can't wait to ride the PNW. Thanks for the pics
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
Glad you liked the pics. I would like to go back as there is so much more to experience, in particular the Mt St Helen's loop.

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I've camped at Lewis falls behind Mt st Helen's. I would highly recommend it! It is pretty amazing
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline jspringator

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, XT225
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
Great report!  I'm jealous.  New Hampshire and Portland in the same year.

How did you like the Bonneville?  The new Street Twin sounds sweet.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
Great report!  I'm jealous.  New Hampshire and Portland in the same year.

How did you like the Bonneville?  The new Street Twin sounds sweet.

Well, I live in Massachusetts twenty minutes from the New Hampshire border so that's just normal for me. Oregon, on the other hand, is a real special treat.

This is the third Bonnie I've rented and each time I think the same thing, what a pleasant riding motorcycle.

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
Beautiful pictures Dan - I'd love to get out there for a ride someday; it's on the bucket list!
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
As usual, nice pics. I wish I can make the Pacific Coast ride someday:from San Diego to all the way to Seattle.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved