Username: Password:

Author Topic: My 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650  (Read 1705 times)

Offline ChronicRyderNRA

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 650
My 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum as of today.  I just purchased a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650.  I would put a picture of it but after searching how to do that I have found nothing so no picture.  The bike has just under 9,200 miles and basically just needs some cleaning up.

This is the first forum I have ever joined so I am pretty clueless as to how things work.  My plans are to turn the Nighthawk into a bobber so I will be searching for ideas etc. on how to do that.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
Re: My 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
Hiya and welcome to the forums.  First.  There was a big server boom so the whole forum is reset.  Dont let lack of posts detract you.  The nighthawk forum is one of the best for community and assistance.  So, with that out of the way, onto some info!

Pics.  Used to be able to profile upload.  Else, picture needs to be uploaded to image site like imgur.  After that, there is a pic icon in posting area or type [ img ] url [ /img ] without spaces in the img portion.

Now for the contentious part, the nighthawks while been around for many years, are highly desireable bikes.  Great riding and people pay a fair bit for them despite age.  The 650s are quite desireable by some because they were only a few years and the shaft drive.

I bring this up because if low mileage and in great shape, your better option before bobbing would be to look around for one in rough shape.  There might even be an owner looking to do a trade with cash for a good one.  I highly recommend this option if it is in real good shape plus ge low miles.  Plenty of lesser collectible and rough hondas to make a better start.  Aalso, the stock nighthawk is an amazing ride in itself.  Perhaps keep it for a daily and for a few hundred pick up your bobber show and project bike.  The 750s are a better option for this as well.  More parts and bikes unless you want shaft drive.  Shaft drive, goldwing bobbers are show stoppers.

Okie.  Sorry bout thay.  Key to bobbing or any custom bike.  I open with my mantra for modding.  "Easier to remove an ugly part than it is to remove an ugly cut"

What this means is start with fabbing and getting all the parts that changes stance and appearance without needing saw and welder.  Tanks, bars, lights, covers, seats and pegs.  Almost the entire stance and ride of a bike can be done without any cuts.  Things may seem insignificant at first can make your awesome look and basis performance bottom out.  Big one is removing factory airboxes.  Guys get awesome running bike then get to frame.  They move battery and pull airbox for small filters.  Bike never runs good again.  Same with suspension mounts.  Cut tail off, change angle and bike sucks for ride.  Net is full of "selling, lost interest bobbers and cafes" where they spent 2-3k just for bike, then only get 500 back.

Lastly, clear your mind.  Forget terms like bobber, cafe, brat, etc.  Build your bike.  I call mine a hot-rod bike.  It is, at first glance, quite stock but actually faily modded.  People see a ratty bike but quite like it then they note all the changes.  Make your own style and remember, bolt on parts or get something rough before you dig into a good stock part.  Will save you from ssomething derailing project, preserve value, and when done and happy with project, good parts ffor way more than you spent on your customized ones.

Offline Wosmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
RJ said that about as well as I've ever seen it said... Some 'bobber guys' are offended by the reaction a lot of guys here have when someone posts...
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum as of today.  I just purchased a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650... My plans are to turn the Nighthawk into a bobber so I will be searching for ideas etc. on how to do that.

The truth is, most of us aren't stock obsessed purists, it's just that we've seen the same sad story so many times. Guy buys bike. Guy imagines cool bobber project with no real concept of what that involves or how to accomplish it and cuts into bike. Guy is left with nearly worthless scraps of once decent bike and no way to recoup his losses. There were lots of build threads before the forum crash where someone approached a 'bobber' or café project carefully with a clear plan and the required skill set and those were always well received (typically the most critical comment was someone observing "it's not my thing but it's done well"). Just some food for thought.

Beyond that...   wlcm1

Offline Dinger85

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 NH 650
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
 wlcm1 and good luck with the new to you bike! I have the same bike, but mine has a few more miles on her. Which color is yours?
Adam "Dinger" Aldinger

Offline Hawkrider83

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 cb659sc
Problem with brake light
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
Brake light is out, bulb is good. Trying to troubleshoot where problem is at.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved