Username: Password:

Author Topic: Miserable Weather, Fun Ride  (Read 335 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Miserable Weather, Fun Ride
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:05:46 AM »

On Tuesday my friend Paul and I took a ride up to the White Mountain region of New Hampshire to catch the just past peak colors of our lovely New England Autumn.  We planned the trip a few days earlier and the forecast predicted high 70's and partial sun, a little cooler in the mountains.  Definitely a little cooler.

Riding in the soup.  The entire trip was low lying fog and 100% humidity.  It never rained but condensation was persistent.

Our first official stop was lunch followed by a pull-out on highway 3 called the Basin.  It's a large bowl shape carved out of stone by rushing water.

Some neat rivers and falls abound in this area of the White Mountains.

Back on the highway and into the mist.

We got around to the northern side of the mountain range and the fog had dispersed only to be replaced with strong wind gusts.  I had nearly been blown into the opposite lane of traffic.  It was nice to see the blue sky though.

Made our way through Crawford Notch and we were running short on time.  Decided we needed to leave now to get home before dark.

The weather got so bad by the time we rode through Bear Notch Road we decided to skip the Kancamagus Highway and head south and cross New Hampshire along HWY 25.  The weather was crap that way too.  Eventually we connected with I93 and made our way home.  One brief stop to warm up and Dunkin' Donuts and that was it.  The sun had gone down as we passed Concord NH which left me with an hour of riding at nighttime in the dense fog.  Paul had an even longer ride to get home.  For my part the fog and condensation seem to magically lift right at the Massachusetts border.  It was still dark but at least I could see.  Seems like all of New Hampshire was shrouded in a foggy curse.

The weather was miserable but it was good fun to ride with Paul and catch up on this summer's events.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 650
Re: Miserable Weather, Fun Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »
Beautiful pictures in spite of the weather.
Here in my part of Quebec the leaves are at their prime. They're about 2 weeks later than usually. It's been crazy warm and we haven't even had a frost yet.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
Great pics Dan.  Leaves in the NE are past peak in here in TX they are still quite green.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline bernoodle

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
Love that area, wish I could have made time for a good fall ride this year.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved