Username: Password:

Author Topic: 93 NH750 Build  (Read 1836 times)

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
93 NH750 Build
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Hey all.  Name is Justin.  Figured I would share some pictures/story of my build.  Ill try to keep the yapping to a minimum.  There are also large gaps between pictures, mostly because I video a lot of my work for my youtube channel.  So still images arent as plentiful as they used to be. 

To start...I used to own an 83 Honda Shadow.  It was ok...but had issues.  Rarely started easy, clutch ALWAYS slipped even after rebuilds.  I sold it off, bought a house, got married, had kids...etc etc.  My neighbor has had this Nighthawk sitting behind his house for years.  Ive always kind of looked at it, but really didnt have interest.  Knew he wanted to unload it... This past summer I made him an offer and he took it.  Got it for $150.  No keys, no title, and had been sitting for 8+ years.

Here is how I got it.  Not even a wipe down yet.

First thing I did was order a key off "keys4urride.com", came in two days, and worked perfect. 

Before I even tried to start it, I started to disassemble.  I wasnt in a hurry to ride, didnt even think I would this year.  So with my son helping, we started to strip it.  Tank was clean, brake fluid was gel, caliper seized, tires were cracked, and mice had made homes in all nooks and crannies.

Put in new plugs, changed the oil, cleaned out the airbox and used a new filter.  Then cleaned the carbs out.

Seat was trash, so I got a mint one off ebay, along with decent stock shocks.  Paid less than $100 shipped for both.  Shocks that were on there were lowering shocks.  They didnt even let the kick stand work properly. 

Put things back together roughly, and fired her up!  Got the first start on my channel if anyone is interested.

Had to rebuild the master cylinder and the caliper.  Pistons were so pitted I had to buy new ones. 

Also rebuilt the signals.  The old rubber stems were junk and the signals were flopping around.

So after this, the bike sat for a bit.  I wasnt really ready to do major work to it.  Plus didnt really have time.  Out of nowhere....I decided to really push to put the thing back together and ride it.  I was going to do a full paint job, but decided I just wanted it to look nicer and all one color.  I also wanted to mount an Auxbeam LED headlight, which was a project in itself.  So I tore it down the rest of the way.

Couple pics of the wheels being cleaned up, paint being sanded, etc.  I also mounted my own tires and used balance beads. 

So this last set of pictures all took place during one day off work.  I got started around 10 am, and took my first ride around 4 pm.  Painted first, got carbs on, and just started to bolt things back together.  By the time I was ready for the body parts, the paint was dry enough to handle. 

Thats it!  Been riding it as much as I can before PA weather moves in.  The past couple of 80 degree october days have been nice!  The bike runs great.  No problems, good power, lots of fun on the twisties.  REALLY missed riding.  Im not sure if Im even going to re-paint it now.  The satin black kind of grew on me, and Im starting to dig it.  So Im not really sure what the plan is.  Just going to enjoy her! 

Only things I need/want now are new bars (they were bent), new mirrors, and new grips.  The rest is ok to stay how it is for a while. 

If you want to check out my channel its www.youtube.com/jegsgarage

Justin

Offline maxcrowe

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 750
Re: 93 NH750 Build
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
beautiful... fellow rider from PA.. loving this past week where it has been perfect riding temp. if you're looking for something to do with your bike you could synchronize your carburetors, which is one on my list of things to do. check out the difference it made on this guy's bike: http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,2463.0.html
larger pic of my bike : http://imgur.com/5SCqWfJ

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah ide like to sync the carbs. You can see how well it started and ran on the first start. I took that as a sign that they were pretty darn close. It starts without choke most days.

But I'm still going to sync them.

I am trying to determine if my rear shocks are junk. They don't seem to dampen as they should. They could just be horrible even when new for all I know.

Justin

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Starting without choke is possibly an indication that you are running rich.  Almost everybody reports needing some choke even when the engine is warm.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

made of meat

Offline alwhite00

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Great job - Did you replace the tires?

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »
Not sure how it could be rich. Being all stock at stock adjustment. I checked the plugs yesterday after my ride home and they all look nice. But you could be right. I always thought they didn't need choke unless it was cooler out. It seems to run nice.

And yes I did get new tires. Removed the old ones myself, cleaned up the wheels, new valve stems, new tires and used balance beads to finish it off.

J.

Offline alwhite00

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:44:04 AM »
Yea, After I posted about the tires I saw them in the pics. :)   Great job on the bike.

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
nice job.Lots of love showed to old gal

I have a question please. How is your LED headlight performing and where did you get it.Any mods to wiring? thank you

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
Hey Rubo,

Thanks!  I put a good amount of work into her.  Luckily without much money!  These things are great cheap fun!

As for the headlight...Im going to do a post about it.  I have had a bunch of questions.  Its not a bolt in light for sure. The size is good...but there are no mounts on the light.  Its designed to work in  Jeep.  So I had to fabricate the mounts, which wasnt hard.

The payoff was great though.  The light is EXCELLENT in my opinion.  Tons of light on low, and the high beam actually works unlike with some LED lights.  Again, this is just my opinion.  About 50% of my riding time since I built the bike has been in the dark, and its been great. 

Justin

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
Welcome to the NHF Jeepguy.  Glad you revived that NH.  $150 plus some new parts and sweat equity from you and you have a low mileage bike that probably has another 100,000 miles in it.  I think that paint looks great.  If you don't want the   backrest you can sell that for more than you paid for the bike.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
Job Well Done
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  And the props!

I put over 200 miles on the bike over the past week or so.  So far she's running amazing.  Handles like a dream.  Gets a little cramped at times.  Im 6'4.  My rear end starts to hurt after about 40 minutes (my commute is 45-50 mins).  So I find myself standing a bit at lights.  Im going to experiment with the original seat since the cover is trashed anyway.  Going to get some new foam and try to shape something good.

I will think about selling the back rest.  I actually kind of like it.  The rack has a pretty low weight rating on it, but would still come in handy for strapping small things down.  Doubt Ill ever have a passenger, and I dont really love the look....so maybe Ill see if someone wants it at some point.

Just in case anyone is curious...here is the video from the day I put it together.  Its plagued with issues....camera angles made some of it a waste, and the battery dies during the last few tasks.  Either way...  I have video of the first ride too that Ill have uploaded in a couple days.

Justin

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »
I love the rack/backrest.  My wife and daughters occasionally ride and they feel secure with it behind them.  It will also hold quite a bit of stuff and provides tie down points.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline smp

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 CB750
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
I really like that matte black. Really nice job!

Offline gearhead997

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 nh750
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
Good job!  cheers3

Offline Boise Jim

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH750
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Nicely done, and thanks for saving it instead of butchering it!  cheers3

What was your method of getting those wheels so clean and polished? They look like new!
Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program.

Offline jeepguy25

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 11:15:56 AM »
Thanks!!

For the polished area, I planned to really spend a lot of time, but ended up taking a short cut...which ended up looking fine haha.  I didnt want them smooth as glass, I liked the machined finish. 

So I started by cleaning really well.  Then I used red scotchbrite to just knock off any rough crap.  Then I just did a quick wetsand with 800 grit wet/dry paper.  That got out most of the little spots and stains.  Then I hit it with a foam ball and some mothers alum polish.  That stuff is amazing. 

For the center section...On the front wheel, I just used a combo of wire wheel and the red scotchbrite.  The rear wheel, I actually sandblasted the middle part.  Came out nice and clean. 

I might take them off and go after them again one day, but they came out plenty good considering the condition of the rest of the bike. 

J.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »

I actually said "ouch" when I saw the original "red" bike with the peeling tank and torn seat. Looks like you put in a little effort, but it turned out looking good. Nice job (I'd ride that)!

Just wondering, have you tried to adjust the shocks to a higher setting? Don't they tighten up a little?

minor gripe (hope you forgive me for saying):
Not crazy about the mirror, but I like to stick a little closer to stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291159691672?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

New handgrips would be on my list as well, but that's the fun and easy part!!

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Nice restoration! What part of PA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline Babe Tomahawk

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 CB750
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »
Kudos on the Nighthawk rehab!  Where did you get the turn signal stalks?  Did you machine them from raw stock or were they purchased from somewhere?

Offline DHBirren2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 NH 750
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
Is the headlight DOT-approved?
1980 CB750 Custom
1993 CB750SC
MSF Rider Coach

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved