Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2016 Blueridge Gathering  (Read 705 times)

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
2016 Blueridge Gathering
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »
I went to the 2016 Blueridge Gathering rally of the ST-Owners.com forum a couple weeks ago (10/13 - 16). It was my second time going. I started heading up around 9:30. I was supposed to ride with a couple other ST-Owners members, but both had family emergencies and were last minute cancellations. I decided to stay off the slab and take my time, so I took 64 from Lexington to Brevard, and then 276 through the Pisgah National Forest up to Waynesville. The campground is only a few miles from Waynesville down 74 in Balam NC. I arrived around 4:30 which is quite a bit later than if I had slabbed it, but well worth it.

There were about 30 bikes in all. Most were ST1100s or ST1300s but there were others such as Goldwings, FJRs, Super Teneres, V-Stroms, Triumph Tigers etc. A technique called "drop and sweep" was employed to manage the large group. It's simple and works extremely well so that nobody gets lost, but everyone can ride at their own pace. There is a leader who knows the route and a sweep who always stays at the back. At each decision point, whoever is behind the leader is "dropped" to show the rest of the group which way to go. His job is to stay there until the sweep shows up wherein he gets in line in front of the sweep. Passing is allowed so faster riders don't get bored, and slower riders don't feel pressured. In general, this is a fast group (at least by my standards).

On the way up, 64 around Lake Lure got nice and twisty and had some beautiful scenery so I had to stop.

Here's where we ate breakfast every morning (Clyde's in West Waynesville). The food is excellent and reasonably priced - "It's where the locals eat".

Friday's ride was great. I tried to keep track of the routes we took for future reference. Some of the roads were 215, 209, 63, 276, 178, 11. Some of the towns we went through were Canton, Hominy, Brevard (lunch) and Rosman.

One of the Friday stops at Furgeson Supply

One crazy thing we saw was this cow on the wrong side of the road (photo not mine). One of the riders said he saw it jump the fence like a deer which was confirmed because a rider at the back said he didn't see it.

Another crazy thing was skateboarders skateboarding down the mountain (photos not mine). It made me nervous just looking at them, some closely followed by cars. They say riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but these people are freakin NUTS!

Saturday's ride officially ended at lunch in Mills River after which everyone went their own way. I made a few stops on the way back to camp - Looking Glass Falls (off 276) and the Apple Festival in Waynesville

G

The final meal together was Saturday night at Sagebrush

I took the scenic route home with another ST owner from Danville Virginia and stopped here on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone. The colors were spectacular around this area I think because of its higher elevation.

All in all a great trip and I plan to go back next year.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: 2016 Blueridge Gathering
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:25 AM »
I found the sport touring riders ride much faster than I do as well. 

Looks like you had fun.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
Been in that area many times, some of my favorite riding and scenery.  I envy you your bike....

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
Great photos and a nice mix of bikes.

Offline Hawks Nest

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02 NH750,99VFR
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
Nice report, Robbie. That must be fun ride.  You guys have a good number of riding group.  I visited the northern section of Blue Ridge Parkway at the end of October this year on my '03 ST1300A.  Just cruising part of BRP and West Virginia area by myself. I really like the back roads down there.

Offline ScandiumFrame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
AWesome report, thanks for the pictures. Always loved that area of the country. *Skateboarding* down a mountain though? nooooope.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved