Username: Password:

Author Topic: I have some questions and also need some advice...  (Read 1152 times)

Offline ohgodthehorror

• View Profile
  • Bike: Beginner
I have some questions and also need some advice...
« on: November 06, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »
Hi everyone!

Before we get into my questions, I'd like to provide a disclaimer. I am a (soon to be) new rider. I am going to be purchasing a '92 250 Nighthawk as my first bike, that being said, I need some things cleared up and would like some things cleared up for future questions. So please, keep the flaming, fact driven "well, actually" statements to a minimum unless I'm being a complete idiot.

I'm purchasing said bike to be my daily commuter (I only work 5 miles away from work with no freeways involved). Yes, I know I have a lot to learn and also a lot to figure out as a rider before I even start making decisions like these, but I would like to modify it eventually. I need a project to keep me busy. Cleaning, rebuilding, modifying, molding, creating, breaking, fixing, sweating, and etc, is something I need in my life right now.

Here are a few of my questions to start with...

Honda Cb's are one of the most highly modified bikes these days, (as far as what the interwebs tell me), that being said, what are the differences between a Honda CB250 and a Honda Nighthawk CB250? If I look at builds online will the be practically the same as if someone was modifying a CB250? What kinds of tanks are interchangeable/easily modified to fit, etc...? Stuff like that.

I know that I'll probably want to upgrade SOON, this seems to be the trend that I see online, but are there any options to increase power? Even if I HATE riding, I plan on putting time into this bike just because, well...I have time.

To those that have modified... What are some things that I should be on the lookout for? I'm in the (overly excited, preemptive) planning stages for this right now, so any insight would obviously go a long way.

Does anyone know of/have a gorgeous (even rough around the edges) bike that they would like to show me for inspiration? At first, I was romanced by the Cafe Racer trend, but I'm moving away from that. I love a lot of the aspects of a racer, but I want a bit more character. I'm liking a Scrambler look lately.

That's all I can think of right away, but I'm positive that I'll have a thousand more questions if this thread goes well.

Thank you all so much for your patience, insight, time and everything. Like I said, keep the meanness down, I'm new. :)

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
Re: I have some questions and also need some advice...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
You don't have to worry about being flamed around here.  Folks around here are helpful and will attempt to guide you in the right direction without insulting you.  That being said, I highly recommend you DON'T modify a cb250.  Those bikes hold their value really well in stock form.  They are beginner bikes so most people ride them for a season and move on.  Other than suspension, there are no performance mods.  So at the end of the day, all the time, money and effort will be put into a bike that you will quickly out grow.  I always recommend the 83-85 CB650.  Find a basket case and restore it in stock form.  That way you will learn all the mechanics of how the machine works BEFORE you start modifying.  Once its mechanically sound you can either start modifying or sell it on for a profit and use the money to buy another bike.  Keep leap frogging like that until you get into the price bracket for the bike that really appeals to you.

Offline Watto

• View Profile
  • Bike: '84 CB700SC
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
Rakilla's got it right. My 2¢ are, forget the mods. Get some gear and learn to ride (take a safety course). Street skills are way more important than looking cool.

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »
Keep in mind that all the time your modifying your bike, is time that your not riding. Also with most projects, and what I've found on mine, is usually when making custom changes to my bike, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Be ready to run into roadblocks constantly . This can be really fun and challenging for some and frustrating for others which is why you see so many failed projects.
I'm in the middle of my own project and it's been tons of fun and a great learning experience as this is my first moto also.
I'd get online and just start researching 250s and seeing what you like and don't like. If your going to modify the frame and seat, think about how your going to tackle that. It can be frustrating if you've never done it.
Good luck! And keep us posted!
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline ohgodthehorror

• View Profile
  • Bike: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses!

I actually agree with everyone on all accounts. I know I'll eventually want to upgrade to a 650 or a 750, but it's just so hard to not want to do all this stuff right away! I'm going to be taking as safety course within the next few weeks or so also. I've just always been a "tinker" of sorts. I enjoy breaking things down, changing them, making them better (sometimes worse!), so that's where my drive for this is coming from. I absolutely know that I'm getting ahead of myself.

As far as gear, do ya'll have any recommendations? I know WHAT (for the most part), but are there any brands that stand out?

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »
Gear is like oil - everyone has a preference and pretty much what it is, a preference. 

First, I prefer Textile over leather.  Mostly because of price, leather tends to be pricey, but also colors and style.  I personally prefer Cortech/Tourmaster.  For a while, they were one of the few that were using plastic over foam armor which I like, also that had the colors I wanted.

If you need to stay inexpensive, Cycle Gear's Bilt line seems to be decent for the price.  I have a pair of their mesh gloves, and they were well worth the price.  I also have some of their Freeze-Out gear.

hemlets are the same...some people won't ride with anything less than a Shoei or Arai.  Forthe price of one of their top-of-the-line helmets, you could buy the basket case and still have $$ left over.  I've worn HJC for years and have always been happy with it.  My wife had a Scorpion EXO500, and I liked that one as well.

If you're looking for a nice winter touring jacket, I may be able to help.  I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 that I don't use.  If you're looking for new, or just want to browse online, I recommend http://www.motorcyclegear.com/  Great selection and good prices, and hassle-free returns if necessary.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
Congrats and welcome!

CB's are great bikes! I learned to ride on the Nighthawk 250 when I took my rider safety course (I learned a lot of valuable skills at that course!).

My first bike was a Honda 600. Like you, I wanted to learn on an easy bike to build confidence and play it safe.  Even a 600cc bike I outgrew by the end of that summer. Juts too slow. A 250 is the 'moped' of motorcycles.

If you can afford to sell and buy another bike right away, that is the best way to go.  Also gives you the chance to think about which bike you'll REALLY want to buy. 

ATGATT

A Nighthawk 450, 550, 650 or 750 would be a good first bike. Cafe Racers are super cool, but probably impractical for anything but riding around in town (the stripped down seat, the lowered down pointing handlebars, no windshield, no fenders, etc..).

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses!

I actually agree with everyone on all accounts. I know I'll eventually want to upgrade to a 650 or a 750, but it's just so hard to not want to do all this stuff right away! I'm going to be taking as safety course within the next few weeks or so also. I've just always been a "tinker" of sorts. I enjoy breaking things down, changing them, making them better (sometimes worse!), so that's where my drive for this is coming from. I absolutely know that I'm getting ahead of myself.

As far as gear, do ya'll have any recommendations? I know WHAT (for the most part), but are there any brands that stand out?

Gear is going to depend a lot on Body Type. You should have a Helmet and a Jacket at the very least. Also gloves, in my opinion.

If you are tall and thin you want a European Cut jacket, and if you are more "square" you will want American cut. Some manufactures specialize in certain cut, and you can almost guarantee all their clothing line will tailor to that cut. For example: Revit and Dianese are European cut clothing, while Held and Klim favor more generous cuts. Motorcycle clothing should fit very closely, as it was designed, because improperly sized motorcycle gear will not protect you as effectively in a crash.

I have bought multiple jackets since I started riding, but currently use a Scorpion Yosemite Jacket, because I am tall and thin. The jacket is a textile, but is considered a three to four-season jacket. Mesh outside, waterproof (removable liner) and an insulated vest.

Helmets are the same way. Your head-shape determines your brand. I have a long oval head, so I only buy Arai Signets. The Signet q is arguably the best helmet in the world for Long Oval head shapes.

I use Revit Sand 2 gloves for summer riding, and Revit leather gauntlet for winter.

Revzilla is a good place to learn about specific brands, because they do videos for all of their clothing. When I first started riding I watched a lot of the videos, then bought them used on Bay.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »

I haven't been happy with the fit of Bilt gear, but that's probably because I'm too tall for their styling.  (To that end, I have an almost unused pair of Bilt pants that you could have for cheap.  I forget how they're sized but I'm like a 34" waist and 6'2".  You'd need to be shorter than me for them to be comfortable, but the waist is adjustable.)  Look for flexibility in warmth and ventilation as well as padding and armour pockets, and since you're sitting on them, you have to make sure there are no stray seams in unwanted places.  I'm currently wearing Scorpion pants and really like them.  Remember that many pairs don't come with armour installed so you might have to buy that separately.
Always wear gloves.  Ventilated in weather when it's warm enough; insulated when it gets cold.  For warm weather I'm on my second pair of these and really like them:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDZH2C
Any jacket you look at should have a removable liner for optimal flexibility.  It's getting a little cool for mesh but they will typically have a waterproof liner.  Leather jackets will typically have a thermal liner.  As with pants, armour is often a separate purchase.
A helmet should be a surprisingly tight fit when you first buy it.  The internal padding will mould to your head fairly quickly and you'll be surprised at how much it will loosen up.  I've got both Bilt and Shoei and much prefer the latter in terms of noise and ventilation.  Remember to get a couple of face shields -- one clear for low light and a tinted one for bright summer days.
made of meat

Offline dkruitz

• View Profile
  • Bike: '95 ST1100
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
Since you're new to motorcycles and there's no mention of your mechanical abilities with vehicles....  I'd say do not worry about modifying a 25 year old motorcycle, you'll be busy enough keeping it running.  There can be a LOT of little things you may need to address to keep it running in top form.  Save the mods for your 2nd or 3rd bike - and budget about 2-3 times as much time and money as you think it will take.

Oh, and buy yourself a nice Vessel or Hozan JIS screwdriver - those cross-point screws on the bike are not Philips screws, they're JIS.

Offline Randy C

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB 250
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
From 15 years of MSF coaching, at 6'-2", you are not going to be comfortable much on a 250 Nighthawk.  You may be able to adjust, but they are small bikes.  Especially if you have big feet.   Distance between shifter and footpeg is short.   Learn to shift up with side of your foot. 

Your knees may be bent uncomfortably as well and not much you can do to change that.  Roll the bars forward possibly, to get them as comfortable as possible.  And don't mod too much with it while you;re still learning to ride and getting good at it.  Too much to worry with without worrying if you got the bolts tight or what is that rattle, etc.  Buy your SECOND bike, then start modifying the NH.   NHs are durable and fairly simple. 

I just got an old "retired" MSF class bike with 5800 miles.  At roughly 20 miles per class, that is 290 classes.  Let's go with 12 hours running time in a class.  3480 HOURS of running time.  IF you calculate an average rider at 40 mph, that is sorta like 139,000 MILES of riding time.  Just a rough estimate.  Don't flame me for that, please.

So, this bike hasn't run in 3 years.   Battery is DEAD.  not sorta DEAD, but DEAD.   I put jumper cables on it and had it running in 5 minutes.  That's how GOOD these can be.  Now, this bike has been stored indoors it's whole life but class time.  It has led a hard life in motorcycle training.  And it still fires right up on whatever gas was in the tank.   Good bikes, but like others have said, don't mess with it too much.

good luck and enjoy the ride.
Randy

Offline Mcbuckets13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
I'm working on a Scrambler setup now, they look badass. I have a 92 cb750 nighthawk. It was ugly as hell but it's getting there now. The only advice I could offer is...half the fun is the learning and the best way to learn is trial and error. Ultimately, you will be a better builder. Just my opinion (but truth be told I am fairly hardheaded) Good luck! Search the forums too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved