Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie here, and my first bike  (Read 732 times)

Offline vade_R

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Blue 750NH
Newbie here, and my first bike
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to motorcycles period. I have always wanted to learn although the wife hates the idea completely.  Just bought this 93' NH from a friend who has had it for awhile but doesn't use it at all, he is a mechanic and got it running smooth again, looks great to me, but I did have a question? I noticed the stems in the mirrors have pitting on them, is there a place to get these brand new? It is an old bike but I guess I would ask, thanks. Here is pic of the new baby, looks almost new to me, very happy

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Offline ExTex

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500F
Re: Newbie here, and my first bike
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Welcome.
Great looking bike... You will love it.

Most owners don't buy new mirrors from Honda because of the cost, and because they want something "newer" looking.
But the old mirrors work well and I like keeping a bike stock.
I usually order Honda parts from http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1993/CB750+A/HANDLE+SWITCHES+%2B+CABLES+%2B+MIRRORS/parts.html
they ship fast and have good prices and low shipping costs.

Note: the mirrors are parts # 19 aand 20 and they are no longer available.

So you can buy used ones on EBay  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XHonda+cb750a+mirrors.TRS0&_nkw=Honda+cb750a+mirrors&_sacat=0

Note the mirrors from China are cheaper but may take a month to arrive.  The 5th ones look a lot like the original.

Here is a site that I have never used: http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/8/accessories

Enjoy your bike.  Always Wear safety gear .

Sold:1983 CB650sc & VT500c & VF700S

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:40:43 PM »
Have you taken some chrome polish and elbow grease to them yet?  A lot of people (including myself) use 0000 steel wool in combination with polishing compound.  You'd be surprised what that combination can clear up.

Offline clearviewx

• View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to motorcycles period. I have always wanted to learn although the wife hates the idea completely.  Just bought this 93' NH from a friend who has had it for awhile but doesn't use it at all, he is a mechanic and got it running smooth again, looks great to me, but I did have a question? I noticed the stems in the mirrors have pitting on them, is there a place to get these brand new? It is an old bike but I guess I would ask, thanks. Here is pic of the new baby, looks almost new to me, very happy

Sent from my iPhone 6+

That bike looks it great shape....
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline vade_R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if it could be fixed, it sort of looks like if rust was trying to get thru the chrome coat on the metal stems. And thanks on all the links ExTexc the Chinese ones look good, hopefully the quality is as good as they look

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
Welcome to the NHF vade.  Great looking bike.  NH 750s are long lasting & dependable.  Wish you well in the wonderful world of motorcycles.  If you are new to riding learn all you can about it and be patient before going at it on the highway.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 05:58:10 AM »
Welcome to NHF, Vade. I was in your position several years ago, right down to my wife hating the idea of me riding. She's never really changed her opinion on the matter, but we've come to a truce on it. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me with that.

It's a beautiful blue bike, and you'll find it to be a fun and reliable ride. Have you had a chance to get to a class yet? If not, all of us here would highly recommend the Basic Rider Course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline vade_R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »
I will be taking that course asap!  And yes right now just looking at youtube videos and riding around where i live very slowly trying to get used to the shifting, i will not get on that highway until i have this down perfect, thanks again on all the advice guys

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
That bike is in AMAZING shape. great find. I had great luck cleaning up my carb caps using Coke and aluminum foil. Sounds like a home remedy, but Myth Busters tested it on a chrome bumper versus "real" chrome polish, and coke/foil won hands down.

Offline vade_R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:36 PM »
New key and keychains!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Offline jayjsallee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Nice bike!  Perfect to learn on and very nice all round machine for almost every type of riding.
+1 on using steel wool to knock off the rust pits.  A little wd40 and a blue scotch bright pad will also freshen any of the bright bits that start to show their age. 
Gear up,be safe and have fun.  The best thing you can buy for a Honda is fuel!

Offline dkruitz

• View Profile
  • Bike: '95 ST1100
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
Definitely put some chrome polish and elbow grease on all the chrome.  Most rust will disappear, but will return - it just does, as it's rust.  Be sure to replace the tires if they are over 4-5 years old.  DO NOT think they are good because they look good.

Change all the oil and filter, change the brake fluid, change the brake pads, oil the chain, put in a fresh air filter, put in fresh gas and enjoy!

Great looking find - where are you located?

Offline smp

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 CB750
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 06:28:22 AM »
Cool keychains! We have very similar taste. I have a black one with the medallion, but I never saw a blue one. And I like those rectangular fabric ones a lot too.
 cheers3

Offline Adventurer

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 CB750 NH
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Nice NH (& Keychains). My wife loves those Tahitian Blue Nighthawks...and we'll likely eventually pick her up a CB250 version, for her 1st bike.

I'll echo what the others have said, and you've already indicated you plan to...

Def. take any and all MSF courses offered free in your state and going ATGATT (all the [safety] gear, all the time), couldn't hurt, either. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:50:20 AM »
That Nighthawk is a beauty, Vade, love that color blue.  Have fun!

Online Sporto

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »
Sweet ride, welcome to the site!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved