Username: Password:

Author Topic: Noob here.  (Read 1008 times)

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 700SC-G
Noob here.
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Not new to riding, got my MC license in 1966  bugeye1

Found this site while looking for information on my Grandson's 1986 700SC-G.

I think we got a pretty good deal on it.  32K miles, new tires front and rear, Corbin seat.  Only things that need attention are cosmetic:  paint faded badly on side covers and tail piece, windshield faded/crazed, mounting pegs broken on right side cover.  Paid $750 for it and rode it home.

It's in my garage for a little TLC over the winter.  Replaced a leaking cam cover gasket, cleaned and kitted the carbs, replaced a corroded ground cable.  Still need to flush and bleed the brakes and it'll be ready for the riding season.

Left to right:  Grandson with his Nighthawk, Daughter with her '16 Yamaha (I can say "Yamaha" here, can't I?) Bolt, me with my '16 Yamaha (there's that word again...) FJ09.

My 1974 Suzuki GT550 Triple that I rebuilt and customized a little last Winter.   Bobbed the fenders and put a cafe seat on it as the original seat was beyond saving.  Spent a LOT of time (and a fair-sized chunk of money) sorting out the wiring, the previous owner was a big believer in electrical tape, toggle switches, and wire from extension cords.   whaaaat3   I get a lot of "what the heck IS that?" when I ride it.  Sure makes me appreciate modern stuff like fuel injection...

My (for now...it's being sold on the installment plan) 1979 Yamaha (can you tell I like Yamahas?) XS650SF.  This is the bike that got me back into serious riding after a long break.  Still enjoy it, but can't justify three bikes and needed to sell it to help cover the cost of the FJ.

Really appreciate the knowledge represented here.  Got me out of a bind after I had a stupid attack and swapped the plug leads on 3 & 4 after replacing the cam cover gasket   Doh...

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: Noob here.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
Welcome to the NHF Paul.  Great photo of 3 generations riding together.  Great deal on the 700.  They are very hard to find now and when in good condition fetch a high price.  We are a friendly group here and even welcome HD riders.  Many of our members are former NH riders who ride a different bike now but stay on the NHF anyway.  I helped my 20 year old neighbor with his xs650 last weekend.  I think us older riders should help and encourage the younger ones.  Stick around and let us know about you and your families' moto adventures.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:28:52 AM »
What's a 700SC-G? I've never seen that designation before.
made of meat

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »

700SC is the bike according to the VIN sticker on the steering head, I assume the -G is the model year.

BTW, it's gonna get new LED turn signals too as all the stalks on the originals are all floppy/broken to some degree.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »
Nice -- the ROB scheme doesn't seem to be very common any more.  People seem to prefer the RWB instead.
The only difference between the 1985 and '86 model years is the decal colours.

If you change to LED signals you'll have to switch to a solid-state flasher unit.  The original thermal unit doesn't work with LEDs.  You'll also have to decide what you want to do with the front running lights -- if you install 2-wire LEDs and want running lights then you'll have to add diodes so that the turn signals still work.
made of meat

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:26:33 AM »
Nice -- the ROB scheme doesn't seem to be very common any more.  People seem to prefer the RWB instead.
The only difference between the 1985 and '86 model years is the decal colours.

If you change to LED signals you'll have to switch to a solid-state flasher unit.  The original thermal unit doesn't work with LEDs.  You'll also have to decide what you want to do with the front running lights -- if you install 2-wire LEDs and want running lights then you'll have to add diodes so that the turn signals still work.

Yup, BTDT on my two old bikes.  Both the XS650 and the GT550 have marginal electrical capacity at best so anything that reduces the load is a Good Thing.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:29 AM »
OK, I'll say it.  Grandson looks like he needs some gear, judging from the picture above.

Yes, you can say Yamaha here.  I ride the FJR these days.  Looked at the FJ for a friend of mine.  He almost bought a brand new 2015, but we managed to get a steal on a brand new '14 FJR for less than the 15 FJ.   

Good luck with the repairs and welcome to the forum.

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »
OK, I'll say it.  Grandson looks like he needs some gear, judging from the picture above.

That's been taken care of between Christmas and his birthday.  I'm on both of them about proper gear all the time.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »

That's been taken care of between Christmas and his birthday.  I'm on both of them about proper gear all the time.

nice1

Offline tomb raider

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 85 - 700s
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
 wlcm1 Seeing some of them Suzuki's around here now.  Are they snappy like a RD ? 
Jimbo

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »
wlcm1 Seeing some of them Suzuki's around here now.  Are they snappy like a RD ?

No, unfortunately. I had a '72 RD350 back in the day which was the main reason I wanted another 2-smoke street bike. 

RD's are rare and EXPENSIVE these days so I settled for the GT.  Fun to ride and reasonably quick, but not the neck-snapper the RD is.

Offline PHPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
BTW, one of the bikes I looked at when looking for a two stroke street bike was a Suzuki Water Buffalo.

YIKES!  And I thought running RD's were pricey!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved