Username: Password:

Author Topic: Very interested in purchasing a Nighthawk  (Read 783 times)

Offline Joeman

• View Profile
  • Bike: 79Triumph T140E
Very interested in purchasing a Nighthawk
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
Hello all. I recently rebuilt and sold a '75 Yamaha RD125 and would like to use that money towards a 91-03 Honda Nighthawk 750. From what I've read they seem like bombproof bikes that are a blast to ride. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate many local options (Charleston, South Carolina). There is a bike located about 6 hours drive from me. Its an '02 with less than 1,500 miles on it for an asking price of $2100 --- meaning it probably sat for quite some time before it got any attention. All that said, it is being sold through a motorcycle shop and claims to be professionally gone through (carbs cleaned and kitted etc). My big question with this bike is, should I worry that there may be valve issues since the bike probably sat so long? I know the valves are self adjusting, but surely sitting for long periods of time would still cause oil gunk build up. Bike looks very very clean.

There is a second bike located in FL for $1400. Its a 95 with approx 20k miles. Looks like some quack rattle canned the motor at some point. http://treasure.craigslist.org/mcy/5905233849.html

And then locally someone is selling a beautiful well maintained 1980 Suzuki GS850G for around 2k with 30k miles on it. Any input from anyone who has owned both a GS and a NH would be greatly appreciated.

Research has led me on things to look out for -- seems like standard stuff with these bikes. Any food for thought would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe

Offline alwhite00

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
Re: Very interested in purchasing a Nighthawk
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
I'd go for the 1500 mile one. Price seems fair and a dealer gave it a once over so I assume fluid changes and such. What color is it?

I really like my 750, wife wanted to go along so I bought a 1500 nomad and don't drive the hawk much. Its going to end up a cafe bike this spring just for bombing around town.

Offline Joeman

• View Profile
  • Bike: 79Triumph T140E
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
It's black.  I don't really fancy any of the other colors. That's another reason I'm pushing myself towards the hawk. The gs850 seems like more of touring bike, while i will mostly be doing town city and short distance stuff

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
Huh.  I bought my '02 with 4K miles on it for $2000 back in 2005.  Guess that was a really good deal.

I'd go with the '02.  Stay away from the 95.  I'd suspect the painting of the engine is to hide something.  It also tells me the owner is willing to do things the cheap and easy way instead of the right way.  Proper maintenance and care are probably lacking.

Offline cb750

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 NH750
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »
I don't know if this is allowed, but I have a 1991 NH750 that I'm selling. 26.5k miles. I put just over 2k miles on it in 4 months last year (first bike). Selling cuz I'm getting married. But I'm up in Dayton Ohio area.

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 750
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
That is a dope color scheme - looks super clean, great bike!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved