Username: Password:

Author Topic: My "new" 95 CB250 NH  (Read 261 times)

Offline Randy C

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB 250
My "new" 95 CB250 NH
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Here's my story up to today.  In 2013 or 14, my uncle bought 3 CB250s from the NC motorcycle training programs surplus auction.  He fiddled with them and one bike was listed as "parts" because it was missing cables and such and could only be fired up to see if it ran.  So after selling alll but the last one, he said I could have it in 2015 or so.  And that he'd bring it to me - about a 90 mile trip one way.  We kept talking about getting together at family things but never got together on it.  He sent me pics of the bike so I could get an idea of what was missing.  I procured parts along the way.

When I came home from Thanksgiving dinner 2016, there was a motorcycle in the driveway.  5803 miles reading.  I put brake and clutch cables on.  hit the starter. Dead.  Expected.  jumper cables from car.  Put some Seafoam in.  Fired up on whatever gas was in the tank.  Sweet.  Ok.  Next.  Running.  Will actually run with choke off...still good.   Test ride around yard a few times.   Up the street and back.   Brakes squeal LOUDLY.  Hard braking to get the rust out of drums.  Still working well- brakes down to a squeak.  Clutch slips once in a while on gear changes if you pop the clutch and hard throttle.  So long as I'm easy on the changes, it runs fine. 

Order battery - "chrome" brand.  $24 delivered, nearly fully charged - 20 minutes on BT and full.  In bike.  More neighborhood testing.   Install signals and reconnect headlight (training bikes have headlights unplugged to save batteries.  All lights working.  Brake lights working.  Oil level good and still clear to boot, plugs reasonable.  tires look good.  Yes they are old-ish.  But bike has been stored indoors all it's life except class time.  More neighborhood testing while I wait for title and license and insurance paperwork to all get completed. 

So in middle of January, I finally get good enough weather to ride to work one day.  And now, in the middle of February, I have been able to ride at least once a week, about 11 miles to work? and lunch and such.  I finally have 100 miles on it.  I finally put some fresh gas in (ethanol free).  Rode again this morning.  All is good so far.   I'm going easy on clutch.  I can do that, but don't want to til it gets worse.  Carb needs a good cleaning and add a shim (#4 brass washer) to raise needle.  That always seems to help the class bikes if they have a stumble off idle.  I'm still in for less than $100.  It's a bit loud - looks like someone tried to weld in some sort of baffling.  But wife says it isn't too loud. 

I did put in new plugs which helped some as well.  I've got a BT cable to install and need the bolt and plate to hold footpeg rubber in.  May get a bolt and washer.  Just so not to lose the rubber. 

I started this a couple hours ago, then had a meeting.  Can't remember my exact motivation, other than the brag on the CB250.  And to document the tale for myself and others that may be in a similar situation. It is a bit underpowered, or more likely, I'm a lot overweight.  It still will read an indicated 60 - 65 up hills and my speed limits are 55 all the way to work and around town.  I have owned larger bikes.  600 Shadow, 1000 VStrom, BMW K1200LT.  I LOVE this NH as much as any of them and more than the BMW, which was just too much to deal with.  Yes I could set he cruise, stereo, electric windshield and heated seats and grips.  But for commuting less than 20 miles each way, was not a lot of fun.  The NH I can jump on and ride.  bomb the little contry roads and have a ball on it.  Simplicity is not a bad thing. 

As an MSF RiderCoach (instructor), I am plenty familiar with the NH.  It's a great little bike to start on and ride longer, if the bug to go farther doesn't bother you.  I have done long distrances.  I'd rather ride in the car with the wife beside me in July.  With the air on and cruise set.  But for work,it's awesome.   I don't do group rides or go riding just to go riding anymore.   Done that.  My hobbies are house projects and toy cars.  So the bike is a tool for fun, practical transportation.  I certainly couldn't go 100 miles on less than $8 worth of gas in a car. 

I have some projects ahead of me, but nothing too bad.  And maybe someday, I'll get a larger bike.  Or not. 

Time for another meeting.  And to think about my lunch ride....

Randy

Offline Boise Jim

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH750
Re: My "new" 95 CB250 NH
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
Great story!
Fellow instructor here, but we don't use the NH's. One of the bikes we do use is the Yamaha TW200, and I've thought about picking one up, re-gearing it and using it for some easy trail riding.

Sounds like the bike is on its way to become a survivor! Can't beat those for commuter bikes- comfy and great gas mileage.

Got some pics?
Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program.

Offline Randy C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
Actually I do have a couple of pics.  But I don't see how to add attachments....

We use TWs as well.  The college I work through has an ATV course in the woods around the range and I used to take the TW or the Sherpa out at lunch time.  But students coming back to a muddy bike was occasionally problematic.  lol

We use whatever the dealers will loan us.  The TU 250 and even the GW 250 are among my favorites.  The Cb300 is nice as well.  We even got a great deal on leftover Repsol CB250s a couple years back.  The sport segment loves those.

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '84 CB700S
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
made of meat

Offline Randy C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
FINALLY!  Took a few hours to get Photobucket to cooperate (!).  And the pics are large.  But heck, not bad for a 22 year old bike that has not cost much.  Not worth much, either, but it serves it's purpose.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved