Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cold starting with choke "fully on"?  (Read 559 times)

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 750
Cold starting with choke "fully on"?
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
Hey all,

We've been having a bit of a cold weather spell in STL as of late - it was 70 degrees last week, and today it snowed...that's the Midwest for you, I guess.

Anyway, I've noticed in the owners manual that for cold starts in either "normal air temperature" or "cold air temperature" it states to put the choke to fully on (i.e. the lever all the way down), fire up the bike, and then slowly reduce the choke until you get to an idle of around 2-2.5K, for about 30 seconds and reduce the choke lever until it's off and the engine is idling smoothly.

For whatever reason, whenever I try to do this with the choke all the way down, the bike has a hard time starting and will just crank over unless I give it just a wee bit of throttle (which the manual says not to do because it can flood the engine); however, if I leave the choke mostly off (lever up), it'll fire right up, struggle just for a second, but gives me plenty of time to bring the choke lever to a more open position.

Does this happen to anyone else?  I'm debating on whether I need to...replace the plugs (I believe it's an iridium set in their now), or the coils, or what?

Thanks as always.

Offline Bagginz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 nighthawk
Re: Cold starting with choke "fully on"?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
Mine won't start when cold with no choke. I put the choke to full ON and it fires right up, with no throttle
Life begins at 1 down and 4 up

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
Mine won't start when cold with no choke. I put the choke to full ON and it fires right up, with no throttle
This is what I've seen from most NH owners, which makes me wonder if there's something that I need to change on mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
I wouldn't complain about it being easy to start.  I had an 85 cb650 that was much more warm blooded than the other hawks I have had.  It barely needed anything to start even when it was colder out.  Check your plugs to make sure it isn't running too rich but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline skramer360

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 700s
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
I put full choke on and goose the throttle just a tad on the first couple of cranks. It starts right up that way. I don't really care what the manual says in this area, I just do what works.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »

This is what I've seen from most NH owners, which makes me wonder if there's something that I need to change on mine...

Nothing wrong with your bike foot.  Full choke on start seems to flood mine so I start with no choke then move to full enrichment a few seconds after starting. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
Thanks all for the responses - sometimes things are just better left like they are!  bkr3

Offline gus

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2001 honda 750
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:14:54 AM »
Try experimenting with different choke and throttle settings. On my 750 I leave the choke off until the engine starts then adjust the choke for a fast idle, this method has worked every time for 16 years.

Offline MrF

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1997 CB750
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »
Mine likes skramer360's method best.  Full choke, with just a bit of throttle until it starts to catch, the ease the choke off based on RPM per the manual. 

Another method I've heard of is to start cranking with no choke and open the choke up as you crank, leaving the choke wherever it happens to be when it finally starts.  I've tried this on the NH before, but always wound up at full choke anyway.
1997 Nighthawk 750.  Carb washer mod.

Offline footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
What I've actually found has been helping is making sure I have a full gas tank...  cheers3

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
Yeah, the colder it is and the not she's sat, the more choke I use on my '92. If it's warmer or used regularly, mid-choke seems to suffice (unless there's some reason I should always full choke?).
Every day is a gift.

Offline Sporto

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:43 AM »
Full choke with a bit of throttle when cold works well on my 84 NH.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved