Username: Password:

Author Topic: 99 Nighthawk - Fix it project  (Read 499 times)

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Nighthawk
99 Nighthawk - Fix it project
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Relative had this sitting in her garage for 8 years so I picked it up for a steal. Only 4k'ish miles on it. Going to try and clean it up and get it running. Lots of work to do for the rainy days. I'm told it is a '99 Nighthawk 750 and that seems to match up with everything I've found on it so far.

It's pretty clean other than a few rust spots on the chrome and some other corrosion spots. Will know more when I start digging into it. Oil stains underneath are from lawn-trimmer, not bike :)

Online Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
Re: 99 Nighthawk - Fix it project
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
Nice looking bike.  You have a lot of work ahead of you but it looks worth it.  Any questions you have someone on here will have the answer.

Offline MrF

• View Profile
  • Bike: '16 V-Strom 650
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »
 wlcm1  Congrats on the bike!

Your model year should be on a business-card sized plate on the steering stem.  Everything I can tell from the photo jives with it being in the '94-2003 range.

Check the date codes on the tires. If they're eight years old they need to be replaced.  Get a battery, change the oil.  Check the gas tank for rust.  If the owner drained the carbs before he stored it, you might have some luck with firing it up.  If he left gas in them, you're probably looking at having to clean them.  The chain, plugs, and air filter won't have been worn out from milage, but may be from age. 

I'm sure someone else will have some things that I forgot.  Everyone here is pretty helpful if you need anything.  Best of luck!
1997 Nighthawk 750 (Sold) |  2016 V-Strom 650

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:07:52 AM »
Thanks! Yeah tires definitely look shot. It was stored with gas and I am sure in the carbs too. Looks like rain this weekend so I'll have some time to start pulling things apart. Checking the gas tank there didn't seem to be any rust but won't really know until I drain it and see what comes out. I was surprised the gas hadn't evaporated or turned into goo.

Online Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm surprised to.  8 year old gas would be nasty stuff.  The gas in the carbs probably evaporated and left behind some gel.  I wouldn't even bother trying to fire it till you pull and clean the carbs.  It might fire but I doubt it would run very well. 

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
Thanks. Good advice and sounds like a plan. I've got another bike that runs so I'm not in a huge hurry. Would rather do things right than rush it.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved