Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm new here.  (Read 379 times)

Offline discochris

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 CB750
I'm new here.
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:20 PM »
Posted this over at ADVRider, where someone suggested I check this forum out.

I picked up a 1993 CB750 this winter for $1400. I traded my ST1300 for an ATV for my wife last fall - I haven't had the time to ride as much as I used to since having a kid (he's 5 now), and I couldn't justify keeping an 800 lb touring bike around for short little 2-3 hour rides on the weekends we aren't up at the cabin. I miss touring and LD riding, but for now, ATVing is something we can do as a family, we went on our first ride this weekend and had a blast, so I'm confident that was the right move.

I wasn't sure I'd get another bike right away, not because I'm one of those "if you have kids you shouldn't ride - it's dangerous" types, but rather that I wasn't sure it was worth it for the limited time I have these days.

Fast forward about two months, and I knew that I had to have a bike in the garage. I chose the Nighthawk because they're cheap, virtually maintenance free and I've always liked the way they look. I didn't want to deal with valve adjustments in particular. The bike is nice enough. 28,000 miles. Changed the oil, filter, air filter and plugs. It's cold blooded like these bikes are, but it runs well. It needed the front forks rebuilt and when it was in the shop for that and new tires, they mentioned that the rear shocks were some weird aftermarket crap that were bolted on like a hack job and it would be a safety issue to not deal with that.

I ordered a set of progressives and put them on, and the bike rides really nicely now. It took some getting used to not having the power I used to have with my previous three bikes, but once I got used to it, I do enjoy the smaller bike. It has a small windscreen, and I added an aftermarket rear rack and backrest (total pain in the ass to get that fitted) because this will likely be the first bike my son will be a passenger on - he's very excited. I added some highway pegs, fuse block and mounted some inexpensive LED driving lights and wired up my GPS, so I can do a little touring/LD rallies if I want, and I have a new stainless brake line ordered.

It's funny because I'm actually more excited about this bike than I was the ST1300, which should have been the perfect bike for me after a bad five year experience with a Buell. I guess the simplicity and back to basics thing speaks to me at this point.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: I'm new here.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »
Welcome to the NHF.  NH's may not be exotic but they are as reliable as a hammer.  Hope you enjoy it for many years.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:52:19 AM »
Welcome and enjoy.  I'm on an '03 ST1300 at the moment, having given my '96 Fast Yellow NH to my brother.  I get the "not being able to ride much", as my wife is partially disabled, so mostly all I do is the 15 mile commute to work.  Sometimes I take the long way, but that's about it.  Over the years I've gotten frustrated enough to sell all my bikes and stop riding for a time, but it never lasts.  Now I just try to enjoy want time I can get.

The NH is a solid bike, and sounds like you're getting it set up well for yourself.  Sounds like your son might already have the bug too.

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Hi there! Sounds like fun to be able to share the experience with the son! Teach them to love motorcycles and they'll never have time or money for mischief. :D

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
  • Bike: cb 450sc
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
hello and welcome to NHF chris. you don't need a large motorcycle to do LD riding, one of the guys that is in the group I do IBA rides with rides a burgman 400 and while I want a GSA I've also been looking at those honda nt700v

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:28:26 AM »
@ discochris,

Welcome to NH-forum.
I have a 97 NH750 and an 08 WeeStrom, and I find that I ride the NH more frequently.  It is the perfect size for swinging a leg over and going for a short ride, and also for just tooling around town.  Its a fun bike and has been stone cold reliable since I bought it a couple years ago.
Hope you enjoy riding yours as much!

Safe riding in 2017.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
Welcome, Chris.
Funny you should mention it, because in addition to my Nighthawks S, I also ride a Buell. What sort of bad experience did you have?
Anyway, the Nighthawks is about as much of a "hands-free" machine as you could want. Plenty of get-up-and-go for daily riding. You made an excellent choice.
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
Welcome! I'm stoked to hear you're more excited about your NH than you had been your ST...mainly b/c my co-worker goes on and on about his beloved ST, Haha. Let me know how you like your stainless brake line, as I've been considering that myself. Please post a NH pic (with AUX light's), if you get a chance. Enjoy!
Every day is a gift.

Offline Sporto

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:36:09 PM »
I bad day on a NH is better than a good day on Buell!

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:08 PM »
I bad day on a NH is better than a good day on Buell!

Haha—Nice! Also, good to hear...as I'd considered Buell, at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:25:17 AM »
A little late here but welcome discochris, Nighthawks are such great do-it-all bikes.  It will be perfect for your shorter rides and if you wish, it makes a nice touring platform too.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved