Username: Password:

Author Topic: Look What Followed Me Home (photos fixed)  (Read 915 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Look What Followed Me Home (photos fixed)
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »

Just came back from the dealership and picked up a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT.  Technically I haven't picked it up yet, I am waiting on a few accessories that they will install before it's official but all the paperwork is signed.

Pic of new bike with smarmy looking owner.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
Re: Look What Followed Me Home (photos fixed)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
I am beginning to like that bike as I read more about it.  Let me know how you like it.  When do you pick it up?

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
Congrats on the new bike! I love that color. I've been thinking about getting one of those myself.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »
Nice!

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
send it back........  :shg:
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Congrats.  You must like the Kaw 650 engine.  Did you sell or trade the Ninja?
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:17:32 PM »
I am beginning to like that bike as I read more about it.  Let me know how you like it.  When do you pick it up?

I can pick it up next week, any day really but they are moving my gps from the Ninja and adding a power outlet so most likely on Friday or Saturday.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
Congrats.  You must like the Kaw 650 engine.  Did you sell or trade the Ninja?

I do like the motor on that bike. I was open to other bikes but the only other light weight touring bikes were the FJ09, F800GT and the Interceptor but the Versys was my favorite overall.

Offline naskie18

• View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Sprint
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
Congrats on the purchase, hope I get to see it this year :)

Nick

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
Congrats on the purchase, hope I get to see it this year :)

I sure would like to see you and the rest of the group this year but it's unlikely.  I picked up a big design contract this year and it's kind of taking over my life at the moment.  I am planning on riding out to Milwaukee again, maybe I can stop by.  Was considering adding heated grips if you want to help with that.

Offline det-drbuzzard

• View Profile
  • Bike: cb 450sc
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
congrats dan, looks good and happy touring on it

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
Nice color.  I haven't looked at a Versys since the first body style change.  I loved the look of the 08-09 models, but at the time couldn't afford one.  I test rode an 08 a couple years later, and wasn't impressed enough to buy it at the time. though now I can't recall why.  All the reviews were favorable, and it was bike of the year from one magazine.

can't really tell by the pics, I'll have to have a look nd see what the new body style looks like, the dual headlights are already a major change.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »
Nice color.  I haven't looked at a Versys since the first body style change.  I loved the look of the 08-09 models, but at the time couldn't afford one.  I test rode an 08 a couple years later, and wasn't impressed enough to buy it at the time. though now I can't recall why.  All the reviews were favorable, and it was bike of the year from one magazine.

can't really tell by the pics, I'll have to have a look nd see what the new body style looks like, the dual headlights are already a major change.

My new bike is the third generation Versys and while it's the same in most respects some key issues have changed, most notable as you figured is the bodywork.  I would have taken a better photo but my local dealer's showroom is so tiny that there was no room.  Here is a pic from the web that gives a better overall impression:
[size=78%]

The biggest changes from the last model Versys is the availability of an LT model which comes with matching hard cases that are keyed to the ignition and hand guards.  Other changes are rubber bar and engine mounts to quell the vibrations, upgrade to Nissin brakes from the former Tokiko, ABS as standard, larger fuel tank at 5.5 gallons (you can imagine the range on the little 650 as my Ninja 650 would easily get 50+ mpg) and a manually adjustable windscreen set on sliders for a three inch range.

For me personally I chose the Versys because I've always wanted a lightweight touring bike.  I've tried FJR's and Connies and just didn't get along with the bulk of the machines.  True adventure bikes while lighter had some appeal but I wanted something that handled more like a sport bike.  That really left the Versys 650 and FJ09.  I seriously considered the FJ09 and had one lined up on the same day I bought the Versys but finally picked the Versys because it is more touring focused than the FJ09.

My final criteria was simple, lightweight sporty comfort with range and hard luggage and truthfully there are very few bikes in that category.  Plus it wasn't grey, black or silver as most modern bikes are painted.[/size]

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
Sweet setup, congrats again!  Did you consider the 1000LT?  The only way I can ride either of these two bikes comfortably would be to modify and lower them a few inches (I can't flatfoot my nighthawk never mind this bike which is almost 3 inches higher based on specs) - appears there are kits to do that.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Sweet setup, congrats again!  Did you consider the 1000LT?  The only way I can ride either of these two bikes comfortably would be to modify and lower them a few inches (I can't flatfoot my nighthawk never mind this bike which is almost 3 inches higher based on specs) - appears there are kits to do that.

I did strongly consider the 1000LT but I had a few misgivings.  First it requires premium fuel, it has the same exact fuel tank as the 650 while getting worse mpg so the range wasn't even over 200 miles and finally it's more a highway bike while the 650 with it's shorter wheelbase is better on the backroads where I enjoy riding the most.  The 1000LT has lots of virtues too, traction control, factory center stand included as stock, not overly heavy and that amazing Ninja 1000 motor.  The plusses just didn't outweigh the minuses for me.

Yes, they have lower kits for the Versys, here is a photo from CL for one for sale near Chicago:

The link to the ad if it's still up, [size=78%]https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/6094307019.html[/size]

Looks pretty good I think.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »
Thanks Dan, need to think about it, some debating to be done on this end.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:36 AM »
Good call, in your situation, I would have done the same.  I like the color, and the front brings to mind the FZ1.  I don't think the lower fairing adds anything.  Do they make a matching trunk?

I love that it comes with ABS, I've gotten used to at least linked brakes, but I like the added assurance of ABS when I can get it.  I have it on my ST, and I'm hoping to get a 'Wing with it as well.

Yeah, the ST is kind of big and heavy, and I miss the lower CoG of the 1100 vs the 1300.  I don't think you can beat a Concours 10 for the money, but they're even more top heavy.  Maybe after I nail down a 'Wing for the SWAMBO, I'd consider trading the ST in on something like this.  Mostly for commuting, but the occasional solo rides.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 05:22:23 AM »
Good call, in your situation, I would have done the same.  I like the color, and the front brings to mind the FZ1.  I don't think the lower fairing adds anything.  Do they make a matching trunk?

Definitely has an FZ look.  Also agree, that lower fairing on the green bike doesn't really add much plus if you look closely the green is mismatched as it is an accessory for a Ninja sport bike not the Versys.  Yep, I believe there are two trunks available, all of Kawi's trunks are manufactured by GIVI and are keyed to the ignition so you only need one key.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »
The original Swiss Army Bike (it does it all).

Offline naskie18

• View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Sprint
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
I am planning on riding out to Milwaukee again, maybe I can stop by.  Was considering adding heated grips if you want to help with that.
I just installed a new set of heated grips (replacing old ones that busted last year) on my Sprint a couple weekends ago, not too bad of a job. 

Let me know when you get the trip timing worked out and hopefully we can at the very least get together while you're passing through. 

Hopefully the Versys is more comfortable on longer trips!
Nick

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 06:52:03 AM »
The original Swiss Army Bike (it does it all).

I don't know if it's the original but it sure is a do-it-all.

I am planning on riding out to Milwaukee again, maybe I can stop by.  Was considering adding heated grips if you want to help with that.
I just installed a new set of heated grips (replacing old ones that busted last year) on my Sprint a couple weekends ago, not too bad of a job. 

Let me know when you get the trip timing worked out and hopefully we can at the very least get together while you're passing through. 

Hopefully the Versys is more comfortable on longer trips!

Absolutely, I would like to at least see you and Tim as I ride the wide open plains of lower Michigan.  I don't see how the Versys can't be more comfortable than the Ninja, wind protections, upright seating, legs aren't pretzeled, I may fall asleep.

And just so you know, I did look at used Sprint ST's and GT's before I picked the Versys.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
Congrats on the new purchase.   I'll join up if I can when you make it over this way.  Make sure to bring your rain gear.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Congrats on the new purchase.   I'll join up if I can when you make it over this way.  Make sure to bring your rain gear.

Thanks!  At least I will have waterproof luggage now, so that's a plus.

Offline ScandiumFrame

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
I *really* like the new Versys. So much it's been tempting me.

Did you see the Versys 300? I haven't ridden one but all the reviews I'm reading says it is surprisingly quick for what it is. Top speed of over 100mph or something like that.

It's a light little sucker too, 385.9 pounds (and more for ABS I'm sure). I sat on that and the Vulcan S (which I also really like) at the local dealership and was impressed with both. The Versys is a *little* tall seated for me but not bad. I do wonder if you can lower the controls a little? An extra 2-3" would make a big difference in how I felt on that bike.

I've been really eyeballing both the Versys and the Vulcan S lately. They both look really good to me.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »
I *really* like the new Versys. So much it's been tempting me.

Did you see the Versys 300? I haven't ridden one but all the reviews I'm reading says it is surprisingly quick for what it is. Top speed of over 100mph or something like that.

It's a light little sucker too, 385.9 pounds (and more for ABS I'm sure). I sat on that and the Vulcan S (which I also really like) at the local dealership and was impressed with both. The Versys is a *little* tall seated for me but not bad. I do wonder if you can lower the controls a little? An extra 2-3" would make a big difference in how I felt on that bike.

I've been really eyeballing both the Versys and the Vulcan S lately. They both look really good to me.

Kawasaki's 650 platform is quite good. The Versys makes a great mid-size tourer, nice range and comfortable. Most of the reports on the 300 have been positive but that's usually the case at the launch of a new motorcycle. Still a nice lightweight small displacement do-it-all kinda bike is a nice alternative. I never really considered one as I wanted something more robust.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved