Username: Password:

Author Topic: Motorcycle Safety Program Courses  (Read 550 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Safety Program Courses
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
Does your State or Country offer Motorcycle Safety Program Courses?

They're worth looking into, if so, in my humble opinion.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (PA), in The United States of America (USA) currently offers all three of their Motorcycle Safety Program (PA MSP) Courses: Beginner's Riding Course (BRC), Return to Riding Course (BRC2) and ADVANCED Riders Course (ARC) FREE of charge, to all PA Residents and active duty military personnel, with proper credentials (PA Driver's License & Motorcycle Permit for BRC & BRC2; Motorcycle License for ARC).

(Documented completion of any of the above PA MSP courses may then qualify PA residents for up to a 5% policy discount with some motorcycle insurance carriers, too).

http://www.pamsp.com

I've taken all three of them, and recommend them regardless of how much or how little anyone's ridden.

Be safe out there and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
Re: Motorcycle Safety Program Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
$20 each in Illinois.  Great value and good instruction.  They only provide a motorcycle in the beginners course.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 04:48:14 AM »
last I heard, they charge for them down here in SC, but I couldn't say how much.  Lats time I took one was the mandatory one the AF had so you'd be able to ride on base. 

Turns out, they scheduled the wrong class - they had the advanced class, so all the guys with the permit couldn't get credit for it.  Fortunately for me, I'd gotten mine from FL so I was good, along with a few others.

I've always felt that the US should fall more in line with some European countries in how we do driver and rider training.  Here, you can drive whith next to no training, and for riders, buy the biggest bike on the market with a learners permit.  Seems a little off, don't you think?

Offline Johna136

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »
In NJ you have to pay for the courses which are offered an various places.  Very often at a motorcycle dealer.  They did not offer that in the stone ages when I got my motorcycle license.  Back then you got a permit and drove whatever you could find? 
48 Indian 65 Honda 305 72 Suzuki 250
80 KZ 440LTD

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »
In Michigan, the public courses are $25 for BRC.  You can't beat that deal and it gives you credit for your road test.  All you have to do is go pass your 10 question written test. 

Private courses are around $350.  I've not heard of any subsidization for the advanced courses though. 

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »
NY your only real option is MSS -- Motorcycle Safety School -- which costs $350 in NYC or $275 elsewhere in the state for the Basic course that waives your DMV road test.  You have to take your written test first.  They run the courses on weekends at my workplace so it's convenient for me, but pricey.  There's another option for people with more than 30 hours of riding experience, but it's only about $50 cheaper.
made of meat

Offline chapman814

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB700S
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
They recently dropped BRC-RR, BRC-2, and ARC here in Ohio, but still offer BRC-1. Being military, i'm required to not only take BRC-1, but also a follow on course of my choice w/in a year. Since Ohio doesn't offer anything other than BRC-1, I have to drive out of state to take another course. As to not waste my time, i'd prefer to take ARC, which means driving my 700s at least 2-3 hours for a 8am start class, riding all day, and returning home. Doesn't sound like an attractive option, so i'm negotiating with the Ground Safety office to explore different options.

The Air Force used to offer a number of courses that were ran by the base safety office (ARC, BRC-1,2,RR, SportBike rider's course), but stopped a few years back due to dropped funding.

All-in-all, i'd highly recommend any and all courses to new riders. It's a huge confidence booster, and made riding way more comfortable and enjoyable.

Offline Sporto

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses are frequently offered in MN.   Highly recommended. 

Offline skramer360

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 700s
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
I took the ARC a few years ago. It was an enjoyable day and a good experience. At the time I had to join ABATE of Indiana for $25/year and the course was free.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
$20 each in Illinois.  Great value and good instruction.  They only provide a motorcycle in the beginners course.
Did they drop the ERC here in Illinois? That was a truly great class and I learned a lot.
Measure twice, cut once

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »
I don't see ERC through the MSF  program offered via Harper College. Only BRC, IRC (for returning riders), and ARC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline MrF

• View Profile
  • Bike: '16 V-Strom 650
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
From what I understand, the MSF ARC is the new ERC.  Although the base I'm stationed on still offers the ERC on base, I haven't seen it anywhere else.
1997 Nighthawk 750 (Sold) |  2016 V-Strom 650

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
They might have.  I took BRC and ARC in 2014.  Also, technically $20 is to reserve a spot which you can get back or choose to donate back to school.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »
ERC was "Experienced Rider Course". It may have morphed into one of the other offerings.
Measure twice, cut once

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved