Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2017 Ride and Eat  (Read 320 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
2017 Ride and Eat
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »

My annual Spring ride is now complete with a ride up to Gloucester to visit Joe Hot Dog.  For newcomers, Joe Hot Dog is run by a man I dubbed Surly Joe because, well, he's surly.  One word answers and an oft repeated joke is what you get.  The food isn't gourmet truck spectacular, this is a man with a truck pulling a trailer with boiled hot dogs, mustard and some other fixins'.

Here are some photos of the trip.

Joe has scaled back a bit this year.  His awning is rolled up and the bar stools aren't out in front of the cart.  He also was only serving hot dogs today.  No Italians or beef.  Sorry for the dodgy photo, I took it quickly with the zoom lens from afar and didn't give the camera time to focus.

The meal.  A hot dog with mustard, relish and onions, bag of chips and a water.  And yes, when I asked for water Joe pointed out to the harbor and says, "you can have all you want", I told him I wanted something less salty, he told me, "you'll get used to it".

Do you see the structure in the middle of the frame.  On the fourth of July they grease the pole and put a flag at the end.  Then swimmers go out to the structure and one by one try to reach the flag by crawling or hanging from the greased pole.  That's total no-money fun on a summer day.

I really like this statue, dedicated to the fisherman who were lost at sea.  It sits right before the memorial.

Here is part of the memorial.  It lists the year and names of the fisherman who never came back.

I spliced the starting stone with the last, 1716 - 2011.  The dates up to the early 1900's make up most of the plaques.

Afterwards I took a ride down the coast on HWY 127.

I took a short hike through Rafe's Chasm Park.  Apparently the story is it was named after a former slave who lived in the area after the Civil War.  A sign stated that many of the stonewalls in the area were his works.

The park leads to the ocean where I happened upon an artist.  This is fairly common site in New England, seeing artists out in the wild.

Looking south.

I made my way home after that, still putting the break-in miles on the new Versys.  Only have about 150 so far.  I'm going to add to this thread in the future, there are so many neat little spots to eat in this area.  I will add the address or in Joe Hot Dog situation the general area in case anyone inclined and nearby wants to visit

Joe Hot Dog
Western Avenue
Gloucester, MA
near the Fisherman's Memorial

Please feel free to add photos and names of places you've found on your ride to this thread.  The more the merrier.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
Re: 2017 Ride and Eat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »

Today I put 50 more break-in miles on the Versys and took a ride to the town of Arlington just west of Cambridge, MA.  I went to Greater Boston Motorsports looking for a tailbag and decided to amble a few miles down the road to have lunch at Blue Ribbon BBQ.

Rock star parking right in front of Blue Ribbon BBQ, this is a rare gift midday on a weekend in Arlington.

A modest sized shop that serves the best BBQ around.  I've only found Red Bones in Davis Square and Blue Ribbon to be the only places worth making time for great BBQ.

The staff likes to get goofy.

My meal, burnt end sandwich, mash and gravy, green beans and sweet tea.  This food is so filling you don't need to eat for a few days afterwards if you finish everything.

If you're in the area I highly recommend.  Wait for warmer temps and you can dine outside on the sidewalk, the inside is usually crowded and cramped.

Blue Ribbon BBQ
908 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »

This week I put a few more break-in miles on the new V, got about 260 on her now.  Decided to ride out to my favorite fried seafood shack, Farnhams Famous Clams.

A brief stop along the Ipswich River, enjoying the peaceful scenery before continuing on.

The specials today.

I got my old standby, haddock bits, french fries and an ice tea.  I like to sit outside along the salt marsh, the tide is very low at the moment.

This little bird wanted to share lunch with me.

One last look at the Versys before rolling down the road.

Had one of the waitress's ask me if I were a race car driver because of my riding jacket.  Told her I was riding a motorcycle, she didn't seem as impressed.

Farnham's Famous Clams
88 Eastern Avenue
Essex, MA

Another great place to stop by if you are ever in eastern Massachusetts.  The roads and scenery around here are pretty good too.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Ride & eat makes for a great day.  Seems as if Joe is getting more surly.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
Ride & eat makes for a great day.  Seems as if Joe is getting more surly.

Surly for sure but also charming in a brusque way.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »

More miles, more food.  Very close to the 500 mile mark for break-in.  Yesterday I stopped off at Metzy's Taco Truck near Plum Island, he is permanently parked at the Plum Island Airport from Spring till Fall.  The food is a little pricey but is generous in portions and quite good.

The Plum Island Airport.

Lunch with a view.  Still got that new bike love, always like to have her in view.  I'm having chicken tacos.

When you're done eating or maybe before you start you can play a free game of Cornhole or Bean Bag, depending on where you are from.

Look for the bright yellow-orange truck next to the airport.

Metzy's Tacos
24 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved