Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rider Magazine- "No Jerks Allowed"  (Read 232 times)

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
Rider Magazine- "No Jerks Allowed"
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has read the article "No Jerks Allowed" in the most recent Rider mag., coming to a mailbox near you? The article (written by Eric Trow of Staysafe.com) has tips that I have not heard before (not saying much) but look forward to trying them out!

I'm keen to keep my riding sharp, and always welcome ways to improve. 

example:
"The smoothest riders keep a very light touch on the handlebars and guide the bike with subtle inputs instead of forceful, tight fisted stabs and tense, stiff arms. As we tell our students, to smoothly steer a motorcycle imagine you are dancing with a child, lightly and tenderly guiding movements."

or this:

What the trick to smooth upshifting? Three overlapping steps and regular practice. Start by preloading the shift lever with your boot (you are wearing boots right?). Apply just enough pressure to suggest the shift, not enough to cause an actual shift to occur without disengaging clutch.  Secondly, when you are ready to make the shift, gently squeeze the clutch lever just far enough to be in the friction zone (not all the way to the handlebar) The preload shift lever will slip effortlessly into the higher gear. Thirdly re-establish smooth and steady throttle as you ease the clutch back out of the friction zone for a silky smooth and silent upshift"

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rider Magazine- "No Jerks Allowed"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Interesting. Haven't read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved