Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Here - My custom 92' Nighthawk 750  (Read 1293 times)

Offline CalvinBrapBrap

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
New Here - My custom 92' Nighthawk 750
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
Hey, everyone. I am new to the forums. DIY garage builder hobbyist out of New Orleans. This is my 92' 750 I "finished" modding earlier this month. Have a few more things I need to do but got tired of not riding it. I wanted a more rugged and utilitarian version that would be at home in the wastelands of a video game or movie. Sort of an amalgam of a scrambler/tracker/cafe racer.  haphap

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Here - My custom 92' Nighthawk 750
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:04:59 PM »
Very interesting build. Suits your stated tastes well. I like the olive drab satchel, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:52:30 AM »
Preetty nice work, I like it.  Might need to do something thta that exhaust though... seems a little out of character.

Offline CalvinBrapBrap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Very interesting build. Suits your stated tastes well. I like the olive drab satchel, too.
Thanks. I made the satchel out of an old army laundry bag and 2 vietnam era rifle mag pouches. Took 30 hours or so to stitch by hand and then wax it for some weatherproofing.

Preetty nice work, I like it.  Might need to do something thta that exhaust though... seems a little out of character.

Thanks. I am not a fan of the stock mufflers right now either. I have some shorter GP megaphone style mufflers with visible welds I plan on replacing the stock ones with. I am putting off doing more work on the bike til I close on my house with a 2 car garage.

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
Great love it! I like the rawness of it!
Could you write about your LED headlight set up and where you got it and install process.Thank you in advance

Offline CalvinBrapBrap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Could you write about your LED headlight set up and where you got it and install process.Thank you in advance

It's a knock off 7" JCW headlight I got off ebay for $60. It's actually pretty decent. The factory bucket and mounting ring did not work with the mounting of it. The Nighthawk does not have the same standard mounting ring as the headlight like Harleys and some of the older bikes do. I bought a 79' KZ750 headlight assembly off eBay to use which does have the correct mounting ring. Installation is a straightforward plugin. The LED ring has 2 wires which I connected to the 2 running light wires from the front turn signals. When on it has an amber light ring. When the turn signals are activated the ring turns off while the signals flash. Then comes back on once the signals are canceled.

Offline wineguyd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
I love it!!!  My kind of project bike.  What gas tank did you use?
Duabus rotis moventis animam

Offline CalvinBrapBrap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
I love it!!!  My kind of project bike.  What gas tank did you use?

I used the gas tank off an 81 Suzuki GS850. It's about 5.8 gallons instead of 4.8.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

It's a knock off 7" JCW headlight I got off ebay for $60. It's actually pretty decent. The factory bucket and mounting ring did not work with the mounting of it. The Nighthawk does not have the same standard mounting ring as the headlight like Harleys and some of the older bikes do. I bought a 79' KZ750 headlight assembly off eBay to use which does have the correct mounting ring. Installation is a straightforward plugin. The LED ring has 2 wires which I connected to the 2 running light wires from the front turn signals. When on it has an amber light ring. When the turn signals are activated the ring turns off while the signals flash. Then comes back on once the signals are canceled.

Interesting and good to know, as I've been looking into many eBay LED headlight replacement options to help light up the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline usmc3531

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1996 nighthawk
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
what tires are those?

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Are u going to paint that tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline oilfield_trash

• View Profile
  • Bike: Super Tenere
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:27 PM »
Are the crash bars a bolt on setup or custom?

Offline Mixar

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 CB750
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »
Hey, everyone. I am new to the forums. DIY garage builder hobbyist out of New Orleans. This is my 92' 750 I "finished" modding earlier this month. Have a few more things I need to do but got tired of not riding it. I wanted a more rugged and utilitarian version that would be at home in the wastelands of a video game or movie. Sort of an amalgam of a scrambler/tracker/cafe racer.  haphap

Did you cut the frame on that for the seat, also really like the rails on the side. Was that fabricated as well?

Offline Chris R

• View Profile
  • Bike: 93 CB750
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
I like it a lot.  Well done.  Keep posting pics if you make any more changes.

Offline gruvmann

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 CB650SC
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Awesome build. Great job. I think the Nighthawk both 750 and 650 lend themselves to this style really well. Not your typical CB look.

Offline CalvinBrapBrap

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
Took my bike off-roading for the first time. Went out on the trails along with a friend on his GS1200. It was fun and handled it really well. Only changes made was adding my dart fly screen back on and debaffled the stock pipes after dynoing the bike. Well, that and threw some dirt and mud on it. haphap

Offline oilfield_trash

• View Profile
  • Bike: Super Tenere
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
Nice! I'd really like to scramblerize my 2000. Even better that you actually hit some dirt with it. :clap:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved