Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need help identifying where this D shaped brass bushing goes 86 NH 700S  (Read 335 times)

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
  • Bike: 82 NH450
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149279148@N02/shares/5MQkZ7
I've done alot of work recently on my 86 Nighthawk S.  I'm just about done putting it all back together and unfortunately I have no idea where this small D shaped brass bushing/collar goes.  I remember removing it, but for the life of me can't remember from where.  It was with a bunch a bolts that was with the tool box and rectifier, but I don't see anywhere, where it might go.  I can't even narrow down the location on the bike where it might go, being that I've done the following to it in the last 2 months:

installed new tires
rebuilt both master cylinders
rebuilt front calipers
rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder
installed new brake/clutch lines
rebuilt front forks
rebuilt carbs
installed new battery
removed the cowl and put all new bulbs in the instrument panel
removed final drive and lubed damper, splines, gear box
rebuilt rear brakes
rebuilt fuel petcock.

Thanks.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
The edge doesn't look factory to me.  I'm not sure that it's supposed to be that shape.
I don't recall anything similar to that on my bike.  At a guess I would suggest something around the clutch slave.
made of meat

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
Thanks for your opinion, mollusc.  I was thinking the same thing-  that it doesn't look like a Honda oem part, along with it being brass.  I bought the bike from the original purchaser's family, who knew nothing about the bike, other than it had sat in a garage for years.  Hence, the reason why I've done all the work on it.  I've checked the schematics of all the parts of the bike, as well as the shop manual, and have found nothing that looks like it.

Offline lancruza

• View Profile
  • Bike: 09 Buell XB9SX
It looks like it came from the top of your battery.

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
Iancruza,
Nice catch!  That is definitely where it came from.  Thanks!!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved