Username: Password:

Author Topic: My abused 650 rescue - now electron blue pearl and mostly restored  (Read 746 times)

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
  • Bike: 85 CB650SC
This bike was in pretty rough shape when I bought it, but it was 99% all there if at least a good amount of that being in boxes. It would not idle on it's own, carburetors were backfiring fuel, bent hand levers and pedals, misaligned forks, wiring issues, bent handlebar, blown rear suspension, mismatched locks requiring 3 keys, road-rash galore, a rustoleum paint job complete with tank-slapper dented gas tank, and I could go on and on. The previous owner said this used to be owned by a guy who rode it extensively on a farm, and that seems plausible to me. On the other hand, the engine seemed to run and sound good, and there were hundreds of dollars in extra parts included, so I took a chance in order to justify another ADHD project to hyperfocus on with zeal, lose interest in for weeks at a time, and ultimately clutter up my garage for months.

The "before" pictures here don't really do enough justice as I quite frankly forgot to take more:

Here are some choice "during" pictures:

And the bike in it's current "after" state:

Maintenance done:

- Full carburetor overhaul
- Full brake caliper overhaul
- Full fork overhaul with progressive springs
- Full electrical harness re-wrap and repair
- Seat repaired and re-wrapped with marine vinyl
- Instrument cluster repairs - lighting, needles, broken case halves, etc
- Brake and clutch master cylinder rebuild with new sight glass
- Clutch slave rebuild
- New lockset so everything is now on 1 key
- All vacuum, fuel, fuel evaporative, and PCV hoses replaced
- Full turn signal overhaul - repair housings, new stays, fix electrical contacts, etc
- NOS taillight to replaced old cracked one
- New used headlight to replace old cracked one
- New choke and speedometer cables
- Tons of little things I can't even think of right now

Mods:

- DIY Electron blue pearl paintjob. This is Matrix brand sealer, standard basecoat, and MS52 clear on top of black epoxy.
- DIY black urethane paintjob done on most aluminum parts. I used Hot Rod Flatz chassis black on top of black epoxy.
- DIY fabricated pannier mounts and Pelican top-loader cases
- Rifle superbike fairing and windshield with DIY fabricated mounts
- Galfer stainless brake and clutch lines
- All Ballz triple tree bearings
- Progressive 12-series rear shocks and springs
- Headlight, ignition coil, and switched 12v relays with an add-on fusebox
- Bikemaster heated grips
- Magazi mirrors
- 750 Nighthawk kickstand (I like it a lot better)
- K&N air filter (had to fabricate a new "spring" to hold it in place)
- #118 main jets and .4mm shims for needles
- Bikemaster daytona handlebar
- CBR-esque tank decals

Still need to do:

- Fabricate warning/information decals - I have the old ones, just need to duplicate
- Fix the tachometer mechanical motion
- Fix occasionally noisy odometer gears (these old clusters can be a real pain in the ass)
- Maybe source out side-panel decals, but I think I prefer it without
- Source the "dashboard" piece for the Superbike fairing
- Fabricate some covers or tasteful heatshields to hide the extensive road rash on mufflers and cylinder 1&4 pipes

As it sits right now, the bike is probably 70% restored. It rides and runs very well and I trust it now for long touring trips. Some things I would like to do in the future include stripping the frame down to bare metal and epoxy/urethane single-stage paint it, and fabricating a luggage/top box bracket. I have pie-in-the sky thoughts about converting to 17" front and back wheels, and a rear-disc conversion, mainly for better, radial tire options, but that may be a while off.

Enjoy!

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
Re: My abused 650 rescue - now electron blue pearl and mostly restored
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
Wow, that's a heck of a restoration!  Well done.
made of meat

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:00:51 AM »
VERY well done, and I love the color.

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »
Wow, that's a heck of a restoration!  Well done.

Thanks.

VERY well done, and I love the color.

Thanks, and yes I have always been a fan of electron blue pearl since Honda came out with it in the late 90s. The color has interesting lighting effects. In dark places, it can appear almost black to deep navy blue. Under fluorescent lighting, it can appear violet. In sunlight, the color is more of a cobalt to baby blue at times.

Offline ScandiumFrame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
Awesome work, way to save it. Super nice job on the resto and that color is really great.

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »

Here is where my less than two-year old Bikemaster battery decided to die with no warning. How incredibly serendipitous it is I decided to park facing downhill, so I could easily bump start! I made it home about 15 miles with around 11.5v at the battery and no lights, but the bike ran remarkably well. I kind of wonder if it would have run at all, or just stalled out at the first stop, if I didn't have the ignition coils relayed.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
 You did a great job on the resto.   
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Nitemoves

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 650 NH
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
very nice!
dude i was reading that first part and thinking there is no way i would ever have enough patience and attention focus to tear my bike down that far!! awesome job! I must pick your knowledge from time to time.
1985 Honda Nighthawk CB 650SC

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
 I wish I had the time and patience to pull of a project like this.  Kudos.

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
I fabricated a luggage/topbox mounting bracket out of some 1/2" EMT and scrap steel I had lying around. It came out pretty good, I think, but there is a little more flex in the bracket than I would like when the topbox is unloaded. I think because I have the mounting points for this bracket tied to the frame underneath the grab handle, I could help this flex issue a lot by fabricating a plate out of flat steel to kind of sandwich over the top mounting points of the grab bar and tie in with the two adjacent M6 bolts for the rear wheel splash shield.

I deemed it too much of a pain in the ass to try to make the luggage bracket mount to the underside of the rear frame like the Hondaline luggage bracket does. This is both because I designed the pannier frame to mount to the M8 nutsert in the rear frame where the Hondaline bracket would go, and because getting an additional 90-degree bend on each leg of the conduit, so close to the 60-degree bend I made, would be too difficult, given the tools I have.

I had previously pressed an M6 nut in to the bottom side of the grab handle, before I painted it, in anticipation of making a luggage rack some day. This grab bar is pretty thin, and its made out of aluminum, so just tapping the underside of the grab bar is a bad idea.

The Emgo travel trunk is a great piece of gear for like $60-$70. There's plenty of room inside for a full-face helmet and a bunch more, it has a key lock, is pretty water tight in the rain, and very handily comes right off of its baseplate just by turning the key lock and pushing that red button. What's more, you can get an additional baseplate for like $15 so that you can easily share the one topbox between multiple bikes.

This bike is starting to really resemble a poor-man's ADV ride, and truthfully, the additional weight (to a bike that is surprisingly heavy in 100% stock form) is obvious with all the luggage, fairing, crash bars, and other farkles. 

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 NH - 1991
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 04:10:58 AM »
Very beautiful bike with a great painture. The only thing ist, that I find the front windshield is too large - there would fit a smaller one more. But this is only my taste, mabye.

Over 280.000 crazy Miles on my bikes

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 05:53:13 AM »

If I took a bike apart this far, I'd look at this picture and go "Well, that's not going back together."

Luggage makes a bike so much more useful.  There are plenty of miles that the FJR never would have seen had I not had the luggage to carry things.  Very nice looking mounts.

Offline postoak

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Nighthawk
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
As others have said, great restoration!

What is that orifice in the 11th photo down?

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
That's the window in the brake or clutch master cylinder, sans nasty original plastic.  Presumably it has now been repaired with a watch crystal.
made of meat

Offline Jrrrrrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Very beautiful bike with a great painture. The only thing ist, that I find the front windshield is too large - there would fit a smaller one more. But this is only my taste, mabye.

Thanks. The windshield is more of a function over form kind of thing. For my height, I see over the windshield very easily while sitting in a neutral position, yet the windshield also seems to be about the ideal height to prevent wind buffeting around my helmet. Believe it or not, Rifle offers a windshield that is even 3 inches taller than this one I'm using.

Luggage makes a bike so much more useful.  There are plenty of miles that the FJR never would have seen had I not had the luggage to carry things.  Very nice looking mounts.

Oh yes, the luggage is extremely useful and well worth the time I spent fabricating all of those mounts. I've loaded both those panniers down with a good 25 pounds or more of tools, food, water, and other things, and it beats the hell out of a backpack or strapping things to the backseat.

In case anyone is curious, the hardest part I had with fabricating those luggage frames/mounts was making accurate cuts. I only had an angle grinder, hacksaw, and files at my disposal. It would have been so much easier and faster if I had access to a bandsaw. A drill press would have been nice, too.

What is that orifice in the 11th photo down?

That's the window in the brake or clutch master cylinder, sans nasty original plastic.  Presumably it has now been repaired with a watch crystal.

Indeed. This was one of the first maintenance mods I did, as the old yellowed, brittle, melted-looking plastic "sight glasses" had to go.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved