Username: Password:

Author Topic: Back on a Honda after a 25 year break!  (Read 671 times)

Offline wineguyd

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Back on a Honda after a 25 year break!
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »

Since the age of 11 I've been riding Honda's...starting with my Trail 50 then SL-70, XL-250, XL-350, CB-550F, CB-750F(x4) and finally my V45 Sabre which I think is the greatest bike Honda ever made.  When my daughter was born I decided to be a responsible dad and got rid of the Sabre and went 4 wheels for over twenty years.  When my daughter was in college I decided to get back in the saddle and started shopping for a used Honda but a spur of the moment itch veered me off course and I ended up buying a used BMW R1100R Boxer.  I've been truly enjoying the Boxer twin experience and my daughter, who now lives in SF, got herself a Triumph Bonneville T100 twin as well.  But on the occasion of her coming home for three months to take some courses in Manhattan I decided to surprise her with a bike for her to use while home.  I nailed an unbelievable deal on a 1992 Nighthawk 750 with 14k miles and showroom condition.  For a week before she arrived I was riding the bike around to make sure everything was ship shape and I must admit I had forgotten how nice Honda's ride and how unbelievably smooth the inline four is.  Now I'm trying to justify to my wife that when my daughter goes back to SF in September that I really should hold onto the Nighthawk instead of selling it.  I've never been a "2 bike" person but I really like this Honda!!!
Duabus rotis moventis animam

Offline ScandiumFrame

• View Profile
Re: Back on a Honda after a 25 year break!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
I want one almost exactly like that.

How do you like that particular windscreen? Is it functionally decent or does it just look cool? Been eyeballing a local NH with the same one (or something really really similar).

Offline wineguyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
For me at 5'11" it blocks some wind but also directs some right into my helmet.  My daughter at 5'5" says it shields her well but she feels it blocks her view too much because the lower half is tinted.  My daughter asked me to take it off so I did but have not yet had a chance to try the bike without the screen.  It is good looking though scheet2

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
Welcome to the NHF wineguyd.  Excellent 750.  Got to keep that one as a stablemate for the boxer.  2 dependable horses to ride.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:04:18 AM »

...I had forgotten how nice Honda's ride and how unbelievably smooth the inline four is.  Now I'm trying to justify to my wife that when my daughter goes back to SF in September that I really should hold onto the Nighthawk instead of selling it.  I've never been a "2 bike" person but I really like this Honda!!!

The NH750 is the "ideal" 2nd bike.  Nothing at all to justify... AND...won't it be nice to have it around when she visits again!
 cheers3

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
WOW! The original owner of your sweet new '92 NH kept her MUCH cleaner than mine kept my '92 NH; NICE & Welcome!

BTW: I Vote "Yes," to your quest of retaining two bikes. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every day is a gift.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
I wonder if I can ask what you paid? I found one in just as good of shape but have no idea what is reasonable. I did check Bluebook, but always nice to hear a real world price.

Offline wineguyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
$1100 from 2nd owner, 14.5k miles, maintained by Honda!

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »
$1100 from 2nd owner, 14.5k miles, maintained by Honda!

Very nice. The one I found is more than double that.

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 NH - 1991
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:52 AM »
Wow! What a beautiful bike!
Over 280.000 crazy Miles on my bikes

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
That is a good value, congrats on finding it. Ten years back my 750 NH purchase was a poorly maintained mess with twice the mileage for $200 more, it was the best deal at the time though and I enjoyed 4 years of 9 month riding seasons on it.
Keep it.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved